Heritage Owners Club

Blues Junior type amps - Peavey Tube Amps

kidsmoke

Guest HRB853370

I own a Peavey 'Delta Blues' with the 15" speaker. For what I'm doing, it is too much amp (loud), so it hasn't been played much. The 15 brought me to it, but I've found over time that I don't really care for the EL-84 power tubes; I'd rather have 6L6s as in my Music Man 212-75. But, with that 15, the knobs that go to '12', tremelo, and the boost switch, it has character.

Sounds like a potential deal with Kidsmoke. I remember you telling me the same thing, its seldom used. Turn that amp into CASH Blueox!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a potential deal with Kidsmoke. I remember you telling me the same thing, its seldom used. Turn that amp into CASH Blueox!

I probably should sell it sometime, but it just looks so good sitting there with a Heritage propped up against it!

I think I found your amp. A used Traynor YCV 40 tube amp, spring reverb. 2 channel. I used to have one I loved it. $299 plus tax. It could be shipped to you direct. Let me know if you are interested.

I rather disagree, it's one of those amps that needs volume for it not sound thin...

I rather disagree, it's one of those amps that needs volume for it not sound thin...

We'll have to disagree then. Thin? How? 40 tube watts, clean channel very similar to a Fender DR. Dirty side is its own thing, but Marshally. Celestion 70/80 is stock speaker, I didn't look closely enough to make sure of that. A little bigger than, but probably similar weight to a Blues Junior. Thin?! Of course, all tube amps sound better when turned up.

Guest HRB853370

I picked up my Delta today and loaded it into my Jeep, light as my Fender DR. Well, almost. I think the 115 model is much heavier due to the large speaker in it.

Guest HRB853370

It's a deeper cab too. Difficult to carry since its such a big cab.

Wrong. Same dimensions. Weight difference is only 4 lbs too. I thought a little more but research proved me wrong. Difficult for you; easy for me.

And my BillM modified Fender Blues Jr is for sale too...

1386b0ad98cfc8ad6c4add448d21d966_zpscc3f

Thread hi-jack.

this is a good thread, that Delta blues does hold some appeal, and the Traynor, while there is little info on it out there, seems pretty cool, at a great price.

But Friday night I dragged my Bugera to the gig, 4 electrics on stage at once, and honestly, it was stellar. Ran it in Pentode and kept up pretty well. I weighed it. Surprised to find it's only 43#. Don't know if the Reverb, Trem and Horsepower warrant the purchase.

That modded BJr looks like a good amp. How many hours on those tubes, DB?

While I allow the fact that some boutiques and the classic Mesa's and Fenders are awesome, but has anyone played a late '70's Music Man? Uncles Leo and George designed a most durable and faithful sound delivery system and I still love my the 65 watt RD 112. Very nice reverb and distortion. (RD)

Music Man amps are terrific! Across the board! Did a festival last year, backline provided. The side of the stage claimed by the band's other guitarist had the choice of a Marshall, Super Reverb, or tweed Bassman. I didn't even see an amp on my side. Looked a little closer, and tucked behind some other stuff was a 112-65. : ) Knew I was good to go. Sounded great!

Personally I haven't been a fan of many Peavey amps, but I am in the middle of recording a CD for my friend who is

a slide guitar playing bluesman. It's just him and his guitar. Well he showed up with a Delta Blues, and to my surprise

it sounded pretty good at a decent volume. We were recording vocals and guitar at the same time so I didn't want the

amp up too loud. The reverb and trem both were pretty good, and as a bonus it sounded good with a National Reso-

electric. His Delta Blues was the one with a 15.

Here is a shot from the session...

NandP.jpg

The Delta Blues 15 may be a bit bulky, but the size of that cab (and speaker) give it great tones. And it is the perfect amp for sitting on while playing!! :-)

For Fender philes, check out the Princeton Reverb Reissue. Reliable and very tonefull.

My personal favorite of that marque is the 80's Rivera era Princeton Reverb II since it has two channels and a 12" speaker. Great little grab n go almost vintage amp. Get one before the prices go up due to increasing popularity.

I've owned a Princeton II, and with the right speaker, they can sound great. I regret selling that amp. Mine had a Weber Ferromax speaker in it which sounded perfect for that amp!

When I played it, it didn't sound right to me. It was great when it was turned up, but at lower volumes, I couldn't use it.

Thats the nice thing about a C-30..it sounds good at low volumes..Even with my Strat!! Plenty of Fullness!! YMMV!

I've had & sold the C-50 head and still have a C-30 and IMO neither of then can hold a candle to the Traynor YCV amps. Not in build quality, durability, or most importantly in tone. To me the Peavey Classic line makes ok doorstops but I find them useful for little else. The Traynor YCV-50 I've had for 7-8 years now has been VERY reliable and sounds far better then the Peaveys. The YCV-50 is similar to the YCV-40 but the output tubes have been changed from 6l6's to EL-34's and the Presence control was changed to a Master Volume for better tone at lower volume. In addition the YCV-50 comes with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker rather then the one that comes in the YCV-40. In the years I've had it I've had to change the pair of (self biasing) power tubes twice, other then that it has been totally maintenance free.

Poor thread title..but not able to edit.... this should be titled Blues Junior type amps.......

So, in the vein of the venerable Blues Jr (I'm on the hunt for a "inexpensive" grab n go with verb")

some have said they'd take a Peavey Classic 30 over a BJr, going in search of I also come across the following

classic 20

classic 50

Delta Blues

anyone have any views on these? the C20 doesn't have verb at all, let alone spring reverb, which a BJr and a C30 both posses.

Seems to me a C50 and a Delta Blues (with a 15" speaker?!?!?) are perhaps a bit more amp than I'm looking for.

I'd love a Fender deluxe, but it's more than I can justify spending at the moment. Many of the amps on my short list fall under that category. The beauty of a BJr or a C30 is that they're plentiful, they're cheap, and they can be sold at cost, assuming you don't jack 'em up while in your care.

So....thoughts? suggestions?

Alternates?

So, did you end up with something yet?

sorry kids. Really haven't kept up with this the last few days. Just crazy busy.

I mentioned earlier I had a good experience with my Bugera the other night in a setting with 3 other electrics. I did well, and my centaur clone gave me nice grit and punch. Realizing I don't like the OD channel. but initially I remember loving it. Wonder if my ears are becoming more discriminating or if the re-tube made a significant difference. No matter. I prefer to the let amp go on clean and let the guitar volume and the centaur add the attitude.

this is great info and a valuable thread I think. The amps mentioned here are affordable alternatives to the gigable amps that many of us would like to have.

I think I'm gonna try to milk what I can from this til I can swing a proper deluxe clone. OR...I've been playing with a guy who plays a Mesa Express 5:25. He gets anything and everything from that amp...wow.

Keep the thread going though, as I believe this input will serve others well also.

good luck with the BJr sale, DB.

I've had & sold the C-50 head and still have a C-30 and IMO neither of then can hold a candle to the Traynor YCV amps. Not in build quality, durability, or most importantly in tone. To me the Peavey Classic line makes ok doorstops but I find them useful for little else. The Traynor YCV-50 I've had for 7-8 years now has been VERY reliable and sounds far better then the Peaveys. The YCV-50 is similar to the YCV-40 but the output tubes have been changed from 6l6's to EL-34's and the Presence control was changed to a Master Volume for better tone at lower volume. In addition the YCV-50 comes with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker rather then the one that comes in the YCV-40. In the years I've had it I've had to change the pair of (self biasing) power tubes twice, other then that it has been totally maintenance free.

I've been gigging with a doorstop for 5 years!! Just Sayin.. :icon_smile:

Archived