Heritage Owners Club

Blues Junior type amps - Peavey Tube Amps

kidsmoke

Poor thread title..but not able to edit.... this should be titled Blues Junior type amps.......

So, in the vein of the venerable Blues Jr (I'm on the hunt for a "inexpensive" grab n go with verb")

some have said they'd take a Peavey Classic 30 over a BJr, going in search of I also come across the following

classic 20

classic 50

Delta Blues

anyone have any views on these? the C20 doesn't have verb at all, let alone spring reverb, which a BJr and a C30 both posses.

Seems to me a C50 and a Delta Blues (with a 15" speaker?!?!?) are perhaps a bit more amp than I'm looking for.

I'd love a Fender deluxe, but it's more than I can justify spending at the moment. Many of the amps on my short list fall under that category. The beauty of a BJr or a C30 is that they're plentiful, they're cheap, and they can be sold at cost, assuming you don't jack 'em up while in your care.

So....thoughts? suggestions?

Alternates?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's my 2 cents. The verb on the FB Jr sucks. I use that Myth Fx Triton pedal for verb - it's the pedal I posted about, awhile ago. ( you commented on how it is small and u might check it out one day). I love my fender blue jr. picked it up used, very cheaply, and had minimal mods.

One critique i picked up is that the C30 is awesome, but has to be cranked to get the good sound that most of us want, and it's a bit thin at the lower volume, where the Delta blues, because of the 15" speaker, gets better lows at low volume.

anyone?

I had a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 Combo... It was a cool, but heavy bulky amp. It did sound great a low volumes, even better at high volumes. You don't need any dirt pedals with it, its OD channel is rather nice. Sometimes though, it did seem to be a little too compressed. the only problem I ever had with it was the footswitch didn't always want to work. Sometimes the tremolo would turn on, sometimes it wouldn't.

The best sounding Peavey I've used is the Valve King, but the combo amps were not very reliable.

My Blues Jr. is a much nicer grab and go amp. I'd take it over the Delta Blues for its clean tone alone.

Guest HRB853370

Kip, The Delta Blues is really not that heavy, just bulky. Keep in mind, Josh hasnt worked out in a while (he heh). I have the 210 version, nice tight sound, maybe not as much low end as the 115, but very clean sounding amp up until around 6 or so. I like the tones I get and I am actually taking it Sunday to my first jam with these guys here in Gville. The dirty channel works great and the reverb and trem are good also. BTW, you wont get trem with a C30 or C50 so keep that in mind. Mine didnt come with a footswitch so I bought a good one aftermarket (metal casing) which is trouble free.

The Delta Blues 15 may be a bit bulky, but the size of that cab (and speaker) give it great tones. And it is the perfect amp for sitting on while playing!! :-)

For Fender philes, check out the Princeton Reverb Reissue. Reliable and very tonefull.

My personal favorite of that marque is the 80's Rivera era Princeton Reverb II since it has two channels and a 12" speaker. Great little grab n go almost vintage amp. Get one before the prices go up due to increasing popularity.

Guest HRB853370

My understanding is the the Delta blues and the C30 are essentially the same head. Anybody know? There's a very clean '96 Delta blues 115 for sale in my neck of the woods.

That would be correct. Same chassis.

My understanding is the the Delta blues and the C30 are essentially the same head. Anybody know? There's a very clean '96 Delta blues 115 for sale in my neck of the woods.

They are the same, the only difference is the tremolo circuit is missing on the Classic 30. Otherwise, its the same amp.

Guest HRB853370

Slammer...do you know of the "tube tamer" that folks use on these?

Yes, I have seen them on c30's. My Delta Blues doesnt need one, (its only 2 years old) as Peavey solved the problem by mounting the tubes in some kind of cage out of the factory. But when they started doing that is anybodys guess.

Thanks. There's 2 different ones in my area. a 1996 and a recent one....with the inset badge and the tamer/grill like yours. Both 115's.

interesting. Seems that the DB is the way to go if you're in the C30 mindset. That's gotta weigh a ton though. One of the things I like about the BJr is it's size/weight.

I've got a Classic 30. They sound really good. The clean channel will stay clean for quite a while, and the OD channel can be as crunchy as you want.

I put Toms Tube Tamer on mine to cut down on the tube rattle of the EL84s. I don't know if its just the EL84's nature or what, but they also rattle a bit in my DSL401 amp. The tube tamer helps that, plus you are less likely to knock a tube out that way.

The reverb on the Classic 30 isn't quite as lush as my Patriot, or a really good Fender, but I think it sounds better than the Marshall. I tend to like reverb on my amps.

You also have a boost button on the Classic 30. Its a pretty hefty mid boost. I think the new ones are footswitchable. My old one is only on the button. A switch could probably be wired into place of the button.

Between my Peavey and my Marshall, if I had to sell one, it would be the DSL.

Thanks Koula...as spring reverb is one of the things that interests me in this type of amp

Classic 30 owners.....hows the spring reverb on your amps, and how much bigger/heavier than a BJr are they?

I Love the Reverb on my C-30!! Set it about half and forget it!! About the having to be cranked part, it's true to get that real tube distortion you need to crank the pre amp section, but then I can set the post level to fit the environment, and have that sweet overdriven at any level I like..This is my second C-30 and it's my primary gig amp..I'm keeping it!!

Thanks. There's 2 different ones in my area. a 1996 and a recent one....with the inset badge and the tamer/grill like yours. Both 115's.

interesting. Seems that the DB is the way to go if you're in the C30 mindset. That's gotta weigh a ton though. One of the things I like about the BJr is it's size/weight.

That's why I switched.... I could never turn up the DB anyway, so might as well use a dirt pedal through the BJr.

If you go the Blues Jr. Route, you'll want to do the BillM mod's... Many here have done that. I think Schundog did an A/B comparison and Anthony Stauffer on Steviesnacks.com also did a comparison...

Kip, The Delta Blues is really not that heavy, just bulky. Keep in mind, Josh hasnt worked out in a while (he heh). I have the 210 version, nice tight sound, maybe not as much low end as the 115, but very clean sounding amp up until around 6 or so. I like the tones I get and I am actually taking it Sunday to my first jam with these guys here in Gville. The dirty channel works great and the reverb and trem are good also. BTW, you wont get trem with a C30 or C50 so keep that in mind. Mine didnt come with a footswitch so I bought a good one aftermarket (metal casing) which is trouble free.

Lifting a 50lb amp back and forth to rehearsals, up and down two flights of stairs, while carrying my guitar and pedalboard with the other hand, gets heavy after awhile. I chose substance over quantity anyway.. But if you mean keep up with your 12oz curls? You're right, I couldn't hang with you. I prefer to enjoy a tasteful beer or better yet, sip on some nice Scotch....

While I allow the fact that some boutiques and the classic Mesa's and Fenders are awesome, but has anyone played a late '70's Music Man? Uncles Leo and George designed a most durable and faithful sound delivery system and I still love my the 65 watt RD 112. Very nice reverb and distortion. (RD)

Guest HRB853370

It really doesnt weigh a ton. Stout, but you are capable!

Guest HRB853370

Lifting a 50lb amp back and forth to rehearsals, up and down two flights of stairs, while carrying my guitar and pedalboard with the other hand, gets heavy after awhile. I chose substance over quantity anyway.. But if you mean keep up with your 12oz curls? You're right, I couldn't hang with you. I prefer to enjoy a tasteful beer or better yet, sip on some nice Scotch....

Easy DB. Amp in one hand, guitar in other. 2 flights of stairs only? No sweat.

I own a Peavey 'Delta Blues' with the 15" speaker. For what I'm doing, it is too much amp (loud), so it hasn't been played much. The 15 brought me to it, but I've found over time that I don't really care for the EL-84 power tubes; I'd rather have 6L6s as in my Music Man 212-75. But, with that 15, the knobs that go to '12', tremelo, and the boost switch, it has character.

I think I found your amp. A used Traynor YCV 40 tube amp, spring reverb. 2 channel. I used to have one I loved it. $299 plus tax. It could be shipped to you direct. Let me know if you are interested.

I missed this! Is this from one of your Pawn brokers S-dog?

112?

Archived