Heritage Owners Club

Cone Cry

Lately my Heritage Liberty has been sounding distorted...and not in a good way. It mostly occurs on low frequencies and at medium volume and higher. I think the stock Jensens (C12N) might have been over-worked or just not up to the task any longer. These are dual 50 watt speakers in a 45 watt amp cab. With that rating, things should sound great. They did until recently.

My amp dude tells me it might be a case of cone cry and that replacing the speakers is the best cure. Ironically, he was the one blasting the amp to uncomfortable sound levels during a recent re-tubing/biasing saga. I say saga because he had it for about a month in his shop wailing on it.

I know that nasty, flubby sound when a speaker blows, separating cone from the magnet and frame, but what the heck is cone cry?

but what the heck is cone cry?

Cone Cry is when the cone is in pain, because the player sucks!

Just kidding--it's the first I've heard of it, too!

That's interesting... Cone must of been failing apart. But the real question is, was it like that when you gave it to him a month ago? If he blew your speakers, I think he should be replacing them.

This. And then find a new tech.

This. And then find a new tech.

+1

Had it in his shop "wailing" on it at uncomfortable levels?

Doesn't matter what the ratings are, they are more than "broken in."

Access the cones and with even distribution with your fingers gently push the cones in back and forth. If there is dragging or sound, he has blown the coils and the windings are dragging. Failure is imminent, and you don't want shorting voice coils taking anything else out when they go.

It is really easy to confirm that its your speakers that are causing the problem. Just borrow a decent extension cab and play through that rather than the built-in speakers. If that eliminates the problem, then investing in some new speakers is probably where you want to go. I'm with DB, in terms of wondering about the coincidence between the timing of the problem and your tech having been wailing on the amp..

Thanks for the replies!

1. I'll be taking it back to my tech. He's an honest guy who will do the right thing.

2. The distortion/crying only occurs on certain low notes on the 5th & 6th string.

3. The sucky playing making the cone cry is dead on accurate. :-)

4. Already hooked up another speaker cab (Boogie Black Shadow 12") as an A/B test. Confirmed it's the Jensens.

5. I'm thinking of dropping in some Weber Alnico's in the Heritage (Mather) cab.

Guest HRB853370

Tim, If I had your Ferrari for a week, you don't think I would wailing around in it after I worked on it?

Think again!

Cone cry....the the unwanted resonances of the cone, mainly the surround, at higher volumes, it's a big deal at A Broun Sound, the maker of Tone Tubby hemp cone speakers. They are designed to avoid that phenomenon, also JBL G125 and Altec 417's have been designed to avoid it. I have a very nice pair of 60's Jensen Vibranto's, LM 125's rated 100 watts apiece as well as the JBL and Altec. The JBL's and Altecs are wonderful sounding, but heavy, easily twice the weight as the Jensens. For me the tone is worth the weight. As good as those Jensens are, and they are great sounding, the Lansing designed speakers sound better to my ears, FWIW.

Update: I spoke with my amp dude last night. When it was in for re-tubing he experienced the same raspy, distorted sound as I did when he was tuning it up. He suspects that it is a loose or bent metal casing at the speaker cab's input jack. Possibly the amp was backed against a wall bending or mal-aligning the jack. Tech dude applied pressure to the input jack and the noise stopped. The recommended fix is to replace the jack. He assured me that the speakers are not the issue. We had discussed that issue previously, but needed to test it to rule out bad speakers, cabinet fit issues, etc.

To test his theory I warmed up the Liberty, plugged in and cranked her up. It was my turn to wail on the amp with my 150. When the noise came on, I reached behind the speaker cab and pressed hard against the jack. Noise subsided but still audible. Then I gently rocked the speaker jack where it inseted into the cab. It was a loose fit, allowing it to rock in its input jack hole! So it is not properly seated and will be replaced.

Jensens stay for the time being. The cab goes back to amp dude this weekend.

Good deal. Glad it worked out.

Cabinet resonances certainly can be problematic.

Glad the Jensons are not actually blown. Much as I adore JBL's and Altecs, for where I am at nowadays I do like the Jensons, especially the imported from Italy versions that match up well with certain 5E3 circuits (as found in say, Victoria 5E3 clones).

This is what it sounds like - when the cones cry

http://www.seanet.com/~pauls/cone_cry.mp3

do do dee do.

I thought I had a problem with cone cry but all that had happened was the speaker had come slightly loose and needed tightening. I even went as far as emailing Mesa for the correct torque settings. I think they made some up just to entertain me. But it did take care of the problem.

This is what it sounds like - when the cones cry

do do dee do.

I thought I had a problem with cone cry but all that had happened was the speaker had come slightly loose and needed tightening. I even went as far as emailing Mesa for the correct torque settings. I think they made some up just to entertain me. But it did take care of the problem.

That's not what I'm hearing. Mine has more of an irritating metalic overtone sound. Hard to describe, but audibly much different than your link. Thanks for attaching it. I hate it when cones cry!! :-)

What about when doves cry? ;)

Heard that before from somewhere!? Can't recall the source however!

I do love it when a great amp sings!

Speaking of which, isn't it time for another H amp build update? :-)

Heard that before from somewhere!? Can't recall the source however!

I do love it when a great amp sings!

Speaking of which, isn't it time for another H amp build update? :-)

Mid 80s tune by Prince :)

Nothing to report, I'm afraid. Between a 60 mile commute to work and five kids, I tend to get my free time in small bursts at weekends. And this weekend I have the dentist on Saturday - that's a 200 mile round trip - and Mothers' Day on Sunday. Get the violins out :)

Archived