Heritage Owners Club

If you have ever wondered why some amps cost so much

big bob

My heart skips a beat whenever I look inside a Hiwatt :love10:

When you start pricing hi quality transformers, you also see where a lot of the cost comes from. You can easily have $400 or $500 in transformers before you even start buying tubes, sockets, and punching out a chassis.

Yep, it adds up fast, really fast. The big parts aside, you start looking at individual small components and it doesn't seem so bad at first... until you start to realize how many of those small parts you actually need; then choose quality parts over the more standard fare, and you can double/triple that cost in a blink of an eye (I've had more than my share of "blinks" in that regard!)

It is a labor of love; it starts out casual, and before you know it you're agonizing over every little capacitor and resistor choice.

those Tophats are fantastic too, I owned a 2x12 club royale combo for a while...very graceful wiring!

I tried a Tophat double-deluxe 2x12 out once at a local shop & should have bought it, 4x6V6's & gobs of tone...it was gone before I had a chance to second guess :D

Archived