Heritage Owners Club

I gave up...Supersonic is all I need

I bought a sweet Fender Super Sonic 60 a month or so ago. Its been my best and favorite amp for all my needs. However, it was a little heavy to be dragging back and fourth to rehearsals. But its tone is just killer in low and high volume situations. I bought a Fender Mustang II as a modeling amp of the Supersonic... But it was not "sonically" the same. Then last week I picked up a Fender Excelsior amp. Very cool 13 watt 1x15 (yes 15" speaker) with a tremolo circuit. But after spending a week with it and its own desirable tones, the Supersonic is still tops. I've decided to return the two amps and just use the Supersonic regardless of its weight. I might use a portable dolly with it, but I'm going to just use one amp from here on out. For recordings, my iPad has been amazing, so I don't need a modeling amp.

You picked a fine amp to love. She's heavy, but she sings like a bird. It's tough to go back; isn't it?

Josh, I hate to say I told you so....but, you know.... :laughing9: The SuperSonic is obviously a few steps above either the Mustang or Excelsior, in both quality of build and sound. The other amps do what they do, but they are not high end gear. Now stop driving Guitar Denter nuts with your perpetual "Yes, I'll buy your amp/I'm here to return this $130 amp because it doesn't sound exactly like my $1000 amp" nonsense.

Josh, I hate to say I told you so....but, you know.... :laughing9: The SuperSonic is obviously a few steps above either the Mustang or Excelsior, in both quality of build and sound. The other amps do what they do, but they are not high end gear. Now stop driving Guitar Denter nuts with your perpetual "Yes, I'll buy your amp/I'm here to return this $130 amp because it doesn't sound exactly like my $1000 amp" nonsense.

I would say, the Excelsior (if modified with a tone pot from a dark/bright tone switch), is very close in volume and tone as a tweed deluxe.... But the Supersonic really does quench my tonal thirst....

Guest HRB853370

I bought a sweet Fender Super Sonic 60 a month or so ago. Its been my best and favorite amp for all my needs. However, it was a little heavy to be dragging back and fourth to rehearsals. But its tone is just killer in low and high volume situations. I bought a Fender Mustang II as a modeling amp of the Supersonic... But it was not "sonically" the same. Then last week I picked up a Fender Excelsior amp. Very cool 13 watt 1x15 (yes 15" speaker) with a tremolo circuit. But after spending a week with it and its own desirable tones, the Supersonic is still tops. I've decided to return the two amps and just use the Supersonic regardless of its weight. I might use a portable dolly with it, but I'm going to just use one amp from here on out. For recordings, my iPad has been amazing, so I don't need a modeling amp.

Can I make a friendly suggestion Josh? Hit the gym more often! I have 20 years or more on you, and I haul my PV Delta Blues and my Fender Vibroverb around with no effort at all. :icon_king:

But if you decide to sell the Supersonic, let me know.

Try a Princeton as a grab 'n' go amp, that will give you warm/fat clean tones, and is light enough for an old woman with bad knees to cover. Check it oiut - it's a great grab 'n go.

Guest HRB853370

Try a Princeton as a grab 'n' go amp, that will give you warm/fat clean tones, and is light enough for an old woman with bad knees to cover. Check it oiut - it's a great grab 'n go.

And if that doesnt work, for only $140 you can get the little Booger V5 grab and go!!

Can I make a friendly suggestion Josh? Hit the gym more often! I have 20 years or more on you, and I haul my PV Delta Blues and my Fender Vibroverb around with no effort at all. :icon_king:

But if you decide to sell the Supersonic, let me know.

I carry my amp with one hand, my strat over my shoulder, my guitarstand case and pedal board in my hand all at once. So I have a lot to carry... But I hate lugging heavy amps through the base players house. I've hit his wall with my Delta Blues more than once, however that amp was much wider and more awkward to carry.

I carry my amp with one hand, my strat over my shoulder, my guitarstand case and pedal board in my hand all at once. So I have a lot to carry... But I hate lugging heavy amps through the base players house. I've hit his wall with my Delta Blues more than once, however that amp was much wider and more awkward to carry.

and a pack of Marlboros in your pocket? ; )

This could be a great deal for someone. It's the older style cabinet and doesn't have the dual speaker out jacks. But for a grab n' go, these are pretty cool.

$215 is a fantastic price if this is really the 1/4 - 33watt version.

3Kc3M13N55I85F25H6d2r663a2473ae7f1f57.jp

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/3647297355.html

.....$215 is a fantastic price if this is really the 1/4 - 33watt version.

99+% certain that it has to be, given the cabinet. It's all Tris made for the first several years. I'd almost buy it just for the cab and move my modern guts into it. LOVE the embroidered grill cloth!

You're right, it's a steal...may have to try the 5175 tubes in mine....

I know, KS. I like the old style cabs with the rounded corners and embroidery too.

This one is advertised as the 33 watt version but I didn't think Tris built that version back when the older style cabinet was being used.

We haven't been doing a good job convincing people to pick these up. They'll pay as much or more sometimes at Guitar Denter on pcb stuff mounted to cardboard in particle board cabs -then return it a week later when it doesn't sound like a boutique tube amp.

My experience with 6" speakers is that they usually sound fizzy when pushed.

This is a custom built heavy duty 6 1/2" speaker. They're not going to sound like a 12" but they're far from fizzy sounding. I find my ear adjusts pretty quickly to the smaller cone and I enjoy the sound. I've also found some patches I like to use with it through my ME25 modeler.

With it's speaker out connection, this one will push a 4X12 at stage volume if you need it to.

Supersonic 60 is a great amp. I had the head version. I am partial to 60w fender amps.

As far as weight issues go. Im 49, permanent back injury. Ive come to the conclusion weight and distance is a relative type thing. I just dont know what its relative to.

It's great that you found and love your Super Sonic 60. They are great amps for the money. If weight is still an issue, have you considered buying a carrying cart/dolly? There are folding amp dolleys at GC, and Home Depot sells a similar one even cheaper. Save your back and look into those little two wheeled helpers.

It's great that you found and love your Super Sonic 60. They are great amps for the money. If weight is still an issue, have you considered buying a carrying cart/dolly? There are folding amp dolleys at GC, and Home Depot sells a similar one even cheaper. Save your back and look into those little two wheeled helpers.

I actually have one from my telecom install days I forgot about in my garage. I think I'll start using that.

Archived