Heritage Owners Club

The Chorus Pedal

Last year I went on a search for a used Boss Super Chorus... I only needed it for one song the band was working on covering... ZZ Top's "I Thank You".... It bothered me I had bought this pedal for just one song... I know the pedal is popular for metal and other harder genres of music, but never thought much about the blues...

Last weekend, while at Legends, the guitarist there used a Chorus pedal almost exclusively throughout the show... Despite its odd to me for blues, I found it worked quite well with the band. I decided to try using mine with both my Amplitube app on the iPad and my actual Super Chorus.... I found the tone to be rather delightful and give my sound just a little something different that just may help me cut through the mix. Never thought I'd like a chorus pedal this much, but its nice to rediscover a modulation effect for a new purpose.

If that wasn't enough, I also realized how much I absolutely love the tones I get from the Digitech Bad Monkey. It works really well with the Bassman channel on my SS. Add the chorus and I have a much edger blues tone I really dig. Pedals can be fun to rediscover and re-purpose..

Anyone else make subtle or not so subtle discoveries like this?

Last year I went on a search for a used Boss Super Chorus... I only needed it for one song the band was working on covering... ZZ Top's "I Thank You".... It bothered me I had bought this pedal for just one song... I know the pedal is popular for metal and other harder genres of music, but never thought much about the blues...

Last weekend, while at Legends, the guitarist there used a Chorus pedal almost exclusively throughout the show... Despite its odd to me for blues, I found it worked quite well with the band. I decided to try using mine with both my Amplitube app on the iPad and my actual Super Chorus.... I found the tone to be rather delightful and give my sound just a little something different that just may help me cut through the mix. Never thought I'd like a chorus pedal this much, but its nice to rediscover a modulation effect for a new purpose.

If that wasn't enough, I also realized how much I absolutely love the tones I get from the Digitech Bad Monkey. It works really well with the Bassman channel on my SS. Add the chorus and I have a much edger blues tone I really dig. Pedals can be fun to rediscover and re-purpose..

Anyone else make subtle or not so subtle discoveries like this?

Hang on, JeffB will be on shortly. Rediscover pedals? .... yeah, just hang on.

Personally, I've never found a chorus pedal I like. I buy them, sell them. I do find the Neunaber Chroma concept to be interesting, tho'. More of a detune than a chorus, I suspect.

Not a Chorus guy either but my El Capistan delay has some modulation that you can quickly dial in if needed.

Never found an application for Chorus. But I'll tell you that I'm LOVING the delay pedal you sold me DB. What a difference it makes in the sound.

I'll file under "not so subtle" discovery. just hadn't used delay previously and bit at the opportunity to try it out so affordably.

Never found an application for Chorus. But I'll tell you that I'm LOVING the delay pedal you sold me DB. What a difference it makes in the sound.

I'll file under "not so subtle" discovery. just hadn't used delay previously and bit at the opportunity to try it out so affordably.

For the money, that is the best digital delay I've found. It does fill in the sound quite nicely. Glad you like it.

Chorus on a guitar never sounds cheesy or gets old. Its timeless. In fact there has never at any time been too much chorus. Along with reverb and trem it is the only effect that has successfully worked as a built in to the amp effect.

Have you noticed how they used to build effects into amps and now they include amps in effects units! Topsy turvy world.

I have a MXR mirco chorus, one knob, and I love it! I use it with my band on probably about 25% of our songs . . . it really helps to "fill" up our sound.

Me too.. It's simple and really has a lot of uses. I usually use it to fatten up rhythm parts.. Never have liked chorus on a lead part though.. My 2 cents..

Chorus on a guitar never sounds cheesy or gets old. Its timeless. In fact there has never at any time been too much chorus. Along with reverb and trem it is the only effect that has successfully worked as a built in to the amp effect.

Have you noticed how they used to build effects into amps and now they include amps in effects units! Topsy turvy world.

I tend to agree, I think you can probably over use anything but I use my chorus a lot, probably more than anything except for maybe overdrive. I try to make sure not to use any one thing so much that it loses it's impact, but slow, arpeggio (spelled right?) type songs really benifit from chorus, although short delay's can be subbed in just as effectively.

Me too.. It's simple and really has a lot of uses. I usually use it to fatten up rhythm parts.. Never have liked chorus on a lead part though.. My 2 cents..

I sort of agree, but my chorus will clip some when hit hard, it's really sweet and liquid sounding until you send a lot of signal into it, then it adds a little grit to the sound, I've learned to use it for leads, if I already have the chorus on I just dig in real hard.

I sort of agree, but my chorus will clip some when hit hard, it's really sweet and liquid sounding until you send a lot of signal into it, then it adds a little grit to the sound, I've learned to use it for leads, if I already have the chorus on I just dig in real hard.

That is exactly what I'm discovering... I hope it turns out in band recordings and on stage...

Leo Kottke has a funny term for the chorus effect,, He calls it the "Nauseator" LOL It seems like a lot of 80s hairband leads used a lot of chorus, so that's probably why I'm not too crazy about it..But it is true that Hendrix and Trower (especially) used it to good effect.. "Bridge of Sighs" is a great recording..

Leo Kottke has a funny term for the chorus effect,, He calls it the "Nauseator" LOL It seems like a lot of 80s hairband leads used a lot of chorus, so that's probably why I'm not too crazy about it..But it is true that Hendrix and Trower (especially) used it to good effect.. "Bridge of Sighs" is a great recording..

You're right Smurph, and it kind of goes back to not overusing an effect, anytime something makes it into "pop" music it gets overused, just like the voice pixelating thingy, it was interesting when Cher did it but now it's just annoying.

I have noticed that I use the chorus a lot more now that I'm in a 3 piece band than I ever have before, and only on slow songs that just don't have a lot going on in them, it kind of helps to fill up the sound.

I also always keep my chorus turned down really slow, so it doesn't get any kind of vibrato feel to it, just sounds better to me that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I like any of my effects where you don't notice them until they're turned off.

That's a good way to put it.. Kinda the way I use most effects..

Archived