Heritage Owners Club

Deceptively Cool Amp

I read a few good things about the Roland Cube Lite 10W amp as well as a few good demo's. So I went to my local Guitar Denter, found this tiny little box in back and plugged a Fender Strat into it. Wow, just wow. Can't believe how good and loud it can get. The Reverb is sort of like a delay and the clean and extreme(?) channels were awesome Crunch channel is as advertised, sort of like a tube amp barely breaking up. Very, very simple device to use. One button to select Clean, Crunch, or Extreme. Being a 2.1 system (2 speakers and 1 subwoofer), this tiny (and I mean TINY!) amp really delivers. No, I didn't buy it. But I am going to be patient and think about it.

I was thinking of using this amp in my living room since it can also be used a media player for my iPad. Going for $169 isn't too bad I guess. If it had an AM/FM radio to go with the MP3/iPod/iPad input, its would really rather nice. Its small and sleek. Definitely, does not look like an amp. Perhaps a clock radio, but not an amp.

If you are out and about and see one of these, its really worth plugging in. Its my first real experience using a Roland product (other than Boss pedals)

cube_lite_angle_gal.jpg

And by pure coincidence, Premier Guitar just featured it this month too...

http://www.premierguitar.com/magazine/Issue/2013/Jun/Roland_Cube_Lite_and_Cube_Jam_App_Review.aspx

the capabilities of using it with CUBE software are pretty interesting. you can play a song, slow it down, change pitch, then play with it and record. Pretty cool!

I was in a similar dilemma last year, I was seriously considering the Yamaha THR10. A Roland Cube 80XL was only about 50 euro more. I went with the Roland. I use it all the time now with my tablet PC loaded with iRealB for practising / jamming, very handy. And the 80 watt power rating with 12" speaker gets as loud as necessary.

Guest HRB853370

After a long year long journey of testing just about everything on the market in a similar capacity I too settled on a Roland Cube series amplifier, an 80XL. I couldn't be more pleased. Roland makes good gear.

Roland makes great gear for keyboardists!!!!

I was going to say it looks like an air purifier or a small dehumidifier.

LOL..It Does.. Thanks for the review Detroit!!

the capabilities of using it with CUBE software are pretty interesting. you can play a song, slow it down, change pitch, then play with it and record. Pretty cool!

That's Amazing!! What next?

I have the 20w CUBE. Bought it this past January. Think I've used it maybe a dozen times. It's just sounds "meh" to me. Probably will put in the FS thread. I do like the modeling stuff VOX makes though.

I have the 20w CUBE. Bought it this past January. Think I've used it maybe a dozen times. It's just sounds "meh" to me. Probably will put in the FS thread. I do like the modeling stuff VOX makes though.

I swear you are the first one I hear that is not in love with his/her cube

And air purifier?

Judging by the fact that you have now mentioned this twice, I get the feeling that your barley and hops beverages are causing some noxious green fog in upper South Carolina that deem the use of such a device necessary.... :laughing7:

I had the Cube 30X about five years ago, it did indeed sound like total arse. I remember playing both my 535 and 575 through it and being completely underwhelmed. It sounded fine with solid body guitars. I put that down to the 10" speaker as it actually sounded way better through headphones. Then I got a Blues Jnr on loan and from the first chord on that amp it was a world of difference, which is why I was very hesitant to go for another Cube amp for quite some time. I'm glad I did though, the 12" speaker in the 80XL makes a world of difference, it sounds excellent with hollow and semi hollow guitars, way better than the 30X ever did. In fact I haven't used my Blues Jnr or AC30 in a long time, it really is that good.

Archived