Heritage Owners Club

As rare as hens teeth? Not quite, but close.

I recently bought this early 1964 (April) non reverb Fender Vibrolux. This is a short lived transition model that followed the 1x12 brown model 6G11-A and preceded the 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb AA964. It's model AA763 with a single 12" Oxford alnico. It's the larger "sibling" of the non reverb blackface Deluxe Amp. It doesn't have the gain that the reverb models do, and sounds similar to plugging into the normal channel of a Fender blackface reverb amp. You can get the volume up to 5, on the non reverb models, without being too loud and they are great pedal platforms. I do a couple of non invasive mods like using a switch pot in place of the 50k intensity pot and replacing the .001 phase inverter cap with a .01 to give it a bit more low end. The original speaker is boxed in favor of a Reinhart/Weber R65-55, which has a 55hz bass cone.

Picture2064.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Vintage Vibrolux heaven!!

Any favorites?

It's a toss up between the blackface 2x10 with reverb and the 1x12 without reverb. I lean ever so slightly to the 1x12 because the non reverb Fenders are not as loud and can be turned up to 5 or 6 without taking out the first row of tables at a gig. They, the non reverb models, love pedals. I take a small board with a Bud Wah, Korg pitch black tuner, older Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and an EH Nano Holy Grail reverb. Also, there's just something about a 1x12 combo that I like.

I truly believe that had Fender added reverb to the blackface 1x12 Vibrolux, it would have been his most popular amp. There were no 6L6, 1x12 amps with reverb. The closest thing would have been the 1x15 blackface Vibroverb.

Guest HRB853370

I recently bought this early 1964 (April) non reverb Fender Vibrolux. This is a short lived transition model that followed the 1x12 brown model 6G11-A and preceded the 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb AA964. It's model AA763 with a single 12" Oxford alnico. It's the larger "sibling" of the non reverb blackface Deluxe Amp. It doesn't have the gain that the reverb models do, and sounds similar to plugging into the normal channel of a Fender blackface reverb amp. You can get the volume up to 5, on the non reverb models, without being too loud and they are great pedal platforms. I do a couple of non invasive mods like using a switch pot in place of the 50k intensity pot and replacing the .001 phase inverter cap with a .01 to give it a bit more low end. The original speaker is boxed in favor of a Reinhart/Weber R65-55, which has a 55hz bass cone.

Picture2064.jpg

Ebay?

Guest HRB853370

Nope. A fellow The Gear Page member had posted pictures of it and I told him to contact me if he ever decides to sell it.

Great!!!

It's a toss up between the blackface 2x10 with reverb and the 1x12 without reverb. I lean ever so slightly to the 1x12 because the non reverb Fenders are not as loud and can be turned up to 5 or 6 without taking out the first row of tables at a gig. They, the non reverb models, love pedals. I take a small board with a Bud Wah, Korg pitch black tuner, older Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and an EH Nano Holy Grail reverb. Also, there's just something about a 1x12 combo that I like.

I truly believe that had Fender added reverb to the blackface 1x12 Vibrolux, it would have been his most popular amp. There were no 6L6, 1x12 amps with reverb. The closest thing would have been the 1x15 blackface Vibroverb.

I realize this is NOT an 'apples to oranges' comparison, but I feel that way about my Rivera era Concert 1x12. Yea, it's got that funky push/pull channel switching and Mesa wannabe overdrive, but the basic 6L6 blackface cleans and great tones are there plus reverb. Not meant to be a direct comparison, just noting the similar platform and good designs from Fender as your amazing Vibrolux amps.

Archived