Heritage Owners Club

I'll play. Traynor YCV20WR

kidsmoke

I've had it's big brother the YCV50 Blue for several years now. The whole YCV series got great reviews from all the guitar mags upon their release several years ago and mine still performs flawlessly after 7-8 years. Great amp for both gigging or home use.

I'm a former YCV40 owner. I traded it to Josh, who promptly traded it to Skydog52. I thought it was a great alternative to the DRRI when played clean, and was rather Marshall-like on the dirty channel. I guess that really doesn't answer your question.

He screwed Highway to Hell and Sultans of Swing all up!

Seriously that cat can play! In another 15 or 20 years, I still won't be able to do that! :icon_scratch:

I'm a former YCV40 owner. I traded it to Josh, who promptly traded it to Skydog52. I thought it was a great alternative to the DRRI when played clean, and was rather Marshall-like on the dirty channel. I guess that really doesn't answer your question.

I had that amp for a short time, but I found it to be one of those tube amps that need to be cranked up to sound good. It wasn't a bedroom friendly amp.

I had one of those for a couple of years. It was the first amp I had purchased in 30+ years, shortly following the purchase of my first Heritage.

The biggest problem I had with the YCV20WR was that, despite its wonderful-sounding specs and features, I didn't think it sounded all that wonderful.

You likely know that the 'WR' only means the wine-red tolex, different grill cloth and the Greenback speaker. Nice looking little amp.

Never thought it had enough bottom end. Don't know if that was the result of the Greenback, the open-back cabinet, the EL84 power tubes, or the thing simply not living up to what I wanted it to sound like. Probably the latter.

Never played it anywhere except my basement, and it was plenty loud for that.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that replacing the stock Sovtek tubes with something better (that means damn near anything else, I suppose) makes a HUGE difference to its sound.

I put Electro-Harmonix tubes in mine and the sound became fuller, richer, and rounder. Wonderful improvement.

There are a couple of versions of the YCV20WR--I had one of the earlier ones that didn't have the headphones jack, the line-out, or the external speaker jack.

You may read some reviews that claim it's next to impossible to swap tubes without removing the chassis from the cabinet, but that's pure BS. It's not an easy job to get at the tubes, but far from impossible.

Best tool you can bring to this job is a really small socket wrench with a 90 degree angle and a screwdriver tip.

Not sure what the bottom line is on this amp. All depends on what you want out of it. It's very solidly made, and assembled in Canada, which may be a plus for you (as opposed to having been made in some Asian sweatshop). It's got a good, transferable warranty. Traynor has been building amps since the 1960's (I had one, yes, in the 1960's) and they are a respected name in the industry.

Hope some of this is useful.

Lots of used ones around that you can likely buy for about 60% of new price.

I had that amp for a short time, but I found it to be one of those tube amps that need to be cranked up to sound good. It wasn't a bedroom friendly amp.

You were under the impression that a 40 Watt Tube Amp was bedroom friendly?!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah...i passed on this. Seems like a decent affordable combo, but more than I needed and not a bargain by any stretch.

what exactly are you looking for? and what are you playing through now?

My current options

photo21_zpsb9c47cc1.jpg

Everything is represented here except the Cherokee Dread. That's hanging in the living room

98% of the time it's the Tweed Champlifier...a true 5f1 clone handbuilt point to point, with a 10" Weber so more bottom end than a 8" Jensen.

I love the Amp LOVE it. But its 5w, so if i'm playing with others it HAS to be mic'd, which isn't always practical. Also, it's a one trick pony. That sound is fantastic, but other than driving it, there's not much to be done with it.

I'd like something with more balls, more clean headroom, and ability to shape it a bit more clean and OD. And I don't want it to cost anything.

That's all.

Have you demo'd a Fender Blues Jr? I'm very happy with mine, it has nice cleans and sounds good with overdrive pedals. It's a loud 15 watts - during a band practice, I've been asked to turn it down - I see them gig medium sized clubs all the time. With just a few simple mods, you can have a pretty good amp on your hand. I think I paid about $125 for mine used and only had a few mods done (somewhere in this forum, I've specified exactly what was done - didn't go the full Bill M Mods route - I just gave it to my amp guy - I know he put a twin stack something-or-other in it to black face the tone, and changed out 1 or 2 little parts to prevent fire and that was all. I'm very happy with the sound - and I haven't even changed out the speaker yet, which everyone says is the mod that makes the biggest difference.

Okay, I found the post that includes the mods I had done, quoting myself from 1/17/2012 http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/15477-bill-m-mods-to-blues-jris-it-worth-it/page-3?hl=%20blues%20%20mods

"Okay - I'm gonna weigh in. I just brought home my FB Jr from the amp guy tonight - and what a difference! The amp sounds way more open, crisper, and a usable mid control - which I REALLY like - I can get all sorts of tones with that thing. Both my strat and humbucker-loaded H 535 sounded great through it. Reverb tank wasn't broken. And I found out it's a 1997. Here's what he did:

1. Reverb tank - fixed internal lead wires, (2) Modify tone stack to BF Twin specs. Leave mid control at 25k for wider control range. (3) Power supply (headroom) mods. Reduce power supply feed resistors values and increase power rating. (4) upgrade screen grid resistors to Flameproof 1W types. (5) Adjust bias to 25mA (340Vplate), (6) check output power - okay at 15W into 8 ohms before clipping. (7) minor vinyl repair at front of amp; (8) clean pots and jacks; and (9) clean dust and debris.

all for only $100. Altogether, for $300 I have a great amp, with real nice tone and and wonderful blues breakup when I push it. And it's light, at 34 lbs, which I need.

I really didn't know what 'boxy' was until, after playing the FB Jr for awhile, I then plugged into my Epi half stack and in comparison, it did sound like it had a blanket over it. So, I'd say I have a good sounding amp, right now, and I think I'm picky when it comes to sound."

My current options

photo21_zpsb9c47cc1.jpg

Everything is represented here except the Cherokee Dread. That's hanging in the living room

98% of the time it's the Tweed Champlifier...a true 5f1 clone handbuilt point to point, with a 10" Weber so more bottom end than a 8" Jensen.

I love the Amp LOVE it. But its 5w, so if i'm playing with others it HAS to be mic'd, which isn't always practical. Also, it's a one trick pony. That sound is fantastic, but other than driving it, there's not much to be done with it.

I'd like something with more balls, more clean headroom, and ability to shape it a bit more clean and OD. And I don't want it to cost anything.

That's all.

Nice Larrivees :icon_thumleft:

A 150 / P90s would complement the others very nicely :icon_sunny:

Nice Larrivees :icon_thumleft:

A 150 / P90s would complement the others very nicely :icon_sunny:

Thanks. Love my Larri's. (insert dead horse here)

Yep, the P90's remain the glaring omission from the stable. I've considered a few platforms for that, but I trust the guitar will find me. That's usually how things happen for me. PK has. Les Paul we keep talking about....but I like the 150 notion also.

Koula...you do know that what you paid for your BJr should get you arrested?! I typically find them in 350 - 425 range, and then consider the mods for additional scratch at which point I've got real money into an amp built on a PCB...

If I could pick one up at the price you paid, it would move back to the top of the list.

Thanks. Love my Larri's. (insert dead horse here) Yep, the P90's remain the glaring omission from the stable. I've considered a few platforms for that, but I trust the guitar will find me. That's usually how things happen for me. PK has. Les Paul we keep talking about....but I like the 150 notion also. Koula...you do know that what you paid for your BJr should get you arrested?! I typically find them in 350 - 425 range, and then consider the mods for additional scratch at which point I've got real money into an amp built on a PCB... If I could pick one up at the price you paid, it would move back to the top of the list.

yeah, mine was pretty old - that may be why, but in pretty decent shape. I got lucky, I guess.

Speaking of which...have you meandered by the home page on that forum any time since the beginning of the month, Lefty??

Haven't been on the forum over there for a while, same for the G&L forum. Much as I love the guitars the forums leave me wanting more. I'm guessing there's some lefty content I should check out ?

I was seriously looking for a lefty Bakersfield for a while, not much luck as they're a relatively new model and used lefty ones were thin on the ground. Then three appeared for sale within a few weeks, all maple boards though and I was looking for a rosewood. Dodged that bullet :)

Archived