Heritage Owners Club

Under The Tree

DetroitBlues

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DB congrats on your new guitar, I'm a sucker for a Goldtop and that one has a nice dish. And I would go

with a pickguard if you plan on gigging that big bad rocking machine. But I would seriously

reconsider reflowing the solder joints on the back of those pots, they look iffy to me and could lead to extra

noise, signal loss, and perhaps a failure down the line. The solder joints should be shiney (no greyish stuff),

and when completed the excess flux should be wiped off with some isopropyl alcohol!

I'm sure the amp builder guys (H, Slider, Mav212), out there would concur with me!!!!!

I concur with Daniel about the weak solder joints. Also you definitely Have the older inferior pots. I finally got around to replacing my old 2005 pots in my GT 150 P90 with CTS super pots from RS Guitarworks and the taper is SO much better and clearer. I also can't tell if you have 50s wiring. I don't think you do. With 50s wiring the cap and the selector switch wire are soldered to the middle lug on the volume pot and the cap goes to the bottom lug on the tone knob. The hot pickup wire should be the only wire going to the bottom lug on the volume knob. If you do nothing else DB, you should convert the modern wiring that Heritage ships out to 50s wiring so you can turn your volume knobs past 8.5.

Gibson Gibson Gibson Gibsaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

You should have taught him to swim but don't worry, there are other inflatable companions

Oops! I was reading Gibson Gibson but in my mind's eye I was seeing Tom Hanks yelling Wilson Wilson

Sorry, been a long day. And, before you ask, no, I don't know a lot about inflatables.

Guest HRB853370

As do I. Gibson makes some great stuff as well as the odd dog. I've enjoyed every Gibson I've ever bought.

I have 5 of em and no problems at all. Love em just like I love my Heritages!

I concur with Daniel about the weak solder joints. Also you definitely Have the older inferior pots. I finally got around to replacing my old 2005 pots in my GT 150 P90 with CTS super pots from RS Guitarworks and the taper is SO much better and clearer. I also can't tell if you have 50s wiring. I don't think you do. With 50s wiring the cap and the selector switch wire are soldered to the middle lug on the volume pot and the cap goes to the bottom lug on the tone knob. The hot pickup wire should be the only wire going to the bottom lug on the volume knob. If you do nothing else DB, you should convert the modern wiring that Heritage ships out to 50s wiring so you can turn your volume knobs past 8.5.

Agree on the 50's wiring, especially with humbuckers! I also love RS superpots for their silky feel, although some feel they are little too

stiff, I think they break in nicely! Another sleeper and a less costly alternative is the DiMarzio custom taper CTS short shaft 500k pot.

They are very high quality, extremely fair priced, and also made by CTS. Also I love Jensen PIO caps (.015 for the neck, .022 for the

bridge), these with 50's wiring, and good pots would really work great in the Goldtop!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-500k-custom-taper-split-shaft-pot

Guest HRB853370

Agree on the 50's wiring, especially with humbuckers! I also love RS superpots for their silky feel, although some feel they are little too

stiff, I think they break in nicely! Another sleeper and a less costly alternative is the DiMarzio custom taper CTS short shaft 500k pot.

They are very high quality, extremely fair priced, and also made by CTS. Also I love Jensen PIO caps (.015 for the neck, .022 for the

bridge), these with 50's wiring, and good pots would really work great in the Goldtop!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-500k-custom-taper-split-shaft-pot

We will have to disagree on the pickguard for DB's GT RB! IMO goldtops just look so cool sans pickguard. Take a look at Duanes.......

post-2130-0-79417200-1386637113_thumb.jpg

Guest HRB853370

I like the looks Will, just not the practicality:) And I love Duane's goldtop.

It's just a personal preference thing I gather! My LP GT came with a pg but I never installed it and never looked back!

Although I love the look of vintage Gibsons, I really love the smaller shape of the

Heritage pickguard. What I like is how it follows the line of the guitar while still

being big enough to protect the guitar. I wouldn't go so far to say this one has a

monster top, but I think the pickguard makes it look like I can go to work with it.

IMG_2546.jpg

right before going to work on this gig with the Vox turned all the way up!

I feel this one does have a monster top flamewise, and I still like the pickguard.

Tiger-1.jpg

this picture doesn't show the 3D quality of the flame, but it's definately got it.

Congratulations on your Heritage Gold Top! You be rockin' the blues!

Guest HRB853370

If a guitar has a monster top, I'll keep the PG off. For solid colors I'll like a PG on it...

Not sure what a monster top is. Monsters are generally kind of ugly.

Archived