Heritage Owners Club

Must Have Amps

koula901

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tweed - these are the amps that started it all. The amps that Marshall's are based off of. The tweed Deluxe, Twin and of course 4x10 baseman are all prime examples.

Black Face Fender - the quintessential clean tone. Too many to list them all, but they all sound great!

Vox - No collection is complete without a Vox. The AC30 of course is the amp that fueled the english invasion. The AC15 is also a wonderful amp.

Marshall Plexi - Everyone should play through a plexi sometime. They are a killer amp and cleaner than most people think. This is the rock rhythm amp to me. Sweet, nasty, raw, chimey all at the same time. There's a reason so many boutique builder make Marshall clones and/or hot rodded Marshall style amps.

One amp will satisfy just about all your tonal needs. It's the Axe-fx of tube amps.

I'm talking about the Guytron GT 100 F/V. Between the two channels you can dial in Fender Blackface, Silverface, Tweed Bassman, Early 60's Plexi, Late 60's Plexi, Valco, 70's aluminimum panel, Marshall JMP or JCM, or Hot Rod tones.

And due to the architecture of the amp, you can run it at 100 Watts, or 50 watts, and dial in any of those tones at TV volumes if you wish.

Terry Mcinturf is a big fan as is Jon Herrington of Steely Dan. More recently, Joe Walsh started using one. Check it out at http://www.guytron.com/#!sound--video-gallery/c1q8z

I've accumulated a bunch of amps, in a way not unlike I've accumulated guitars. Either 1) I feel I need something specific for a gig, or 2) I have a chance to pick up something interesting that I'll eventually use.

In my mind, there are four main food groups:

6v6 based Fender-heritage amps

6L6 " " " "

Vox el84 heritage amps

Marshall sound amps --which seem to me more about voicing than a particular tube. The one actual Marshall I own runs 6L6/5881's, but it doesn't sound at all like a 6L6 Fender

When I'm thinking about which amp to use in a particular situation, this is the first, and I think most important, step. For me, it usually comes down to 6v6 or 6L6, unless I very specifically need a Beatles sound or a Marshall lead sound.

The amp in my living room, however, is an Ampeg SB-12 --sort of none of the above, but great sound for bass or clean guitar.

Terry Mcinturf is a big fan as is Jon Herrington of Steely Dan. More recently, Joe Walsh started using one. Check it out at http://www.guytron.com/#!sound--video-gallery/c1q8z

Terry is not the only fan of Jon Herrington..... I am a HUGE fan, not just of the stuff with Steely Dan, but I have his solo stuff as well.

Jon is one of the most talented and versatile guitarist working out there today!!!

Guest HRB853370

Just an amp with no pedals? Boogie.

Slammer,

I watched your buddy Jeff Sipe last night online. He played Warren Haynes Christmas Jam with Bruce Hampton's Aquarium Rescue Unit and Gregg Allman and Friends. Awesome jams until 4am both Friday and Saturday. Still need coffee

Was this a live feed or YouTube? I would like to see that! What did you think of Jeff?

Guest HRB853370

I'm in good shape. For high gain the Fargen Mini II (2 EL34 /KT66/6V6/6L6) does JMT-45 -Plexi and JM800 AKA 60s 70s & 80s Marshall for classic rock and blues. For classic Jazz a 65 Ampeg RR2 is hard to beat. Also works for blues and rock when it's past 2:00 on the dial. Hitched to a V30 gets that Stones Midrange. For tweed the Swart 5 watt tweed does blues & rock kind of like a 5E3 with verb. Then the Hayseed (Vox AC15) does old school on the EF86 into EL84 or British with the bright 12Ax7) Last but not least the Nolatone RJ does it all wthe 2 6V6's and a midscoop doing black face to Marshall. Everything but heavy metal covered. That covers my Spectrum

And your in good shape because you cycle, not because of your eclectic amp collection!

Guest HRB853370

One amp will satisfy just about all your tonal needs. It's the Axe-fx of tube amps.

I'm talking about the Guytron GT 100 F/V. Between the two channels you can dial in Fender Blackface, Silverface, Tweed Bassman, Early 60's Plexi, Late 60's Plexi, Valco, 70's aluminimum panel, Marshall JMP or JCM, or Hot Rod tones.

And due to the architecture of the amp, you can run it at 100 Watts, or 50 watts, and dial in any of those tones at TV volumes if you wish.

And out of Fenton, Mi no less!!!!

Okay, but it doesn't have to be one amp. It could be a couple or several amps.

At one time I would have said:

Mesa Dual Rec

Marshall JCM800 head

Twin

AC30

and then added a slew of other amps to supplement the list, ie AC15, DR for different occasions. The whole "tool box" or "palette of colours" way of thinking.

Now Im more inclined to think just one amp and a couple of stomps will do.

I have a way of playing that is natural and comfortable to me but it doesnt translate well to different amp voices and Im not as interested as I was in changing my playing to suit different amps and musical styles. Ive done it in the past but I dont have to do it anymore.

If I had to buy an amp today that could be used at home, jams/gigs, I would find one that I liked the sound of at both snare and midnight home levels. Simple as that.

I dont think I need a library of amps to cover the sounds I want.

Well, not sure if I was clear enough in my original question. This is not a "if you only have one amp, which would it be" rather, its a question of : what amps does one need to cover all sonic territory.

well I was saying you don't need a whole bunch of amps....I have bought & sold a ton of amps and I am realizing you don't *need* all that crap!!

it really is an excessive luxury. I could get all of my tones out of a SF Fender with a pedal or two

my main amp is a Garnet Jammer: a 2xEL34 1x12 combo with cascading channels, kind of like a more raw sounding Boogie

otherwise the holy grail of amps IMO are a JTM45, an AC30, a tweed deluxe, and a Garnet BTO

And out of Fenton, Mi no less!!!!

The Guytron was purchased from it's founder, Guy Hedrick, by a friend of mine who lives across the lake from me. He's an accomplished guitarist, and electrical engineer with experience in noise and vibration. He also founded the on-line 18w discussion group that reverse engineered and ultimately revived the Marshall 1974x amp.

Terry is not the only fan of Jon Herrington..... I am a HUGE fan, not just of the stuff with Steely Dan, but I have his solo stuff as well.

Jon is one of the most talented and versatile guitarist working out there today!!!

I didn't know Terry was a big fan of Jon Herrington, but they both seem to be fans of their Guytron amplifiers. Terry has a couple of fairly long threads going on the subject of Guytron over on the TGP.

Jon Herrington has been using a Guytron as his main gigging amp since the 90s I think. He just updated to the GT-100 F/V this past year. The 'F/V' provides Focus and Voicing options that were popular mods on the original generation of GT-100s. I got a chance to see Jon perform at a workshop that was sponsored by a local church and Guytron. He's very humble about his talent.

If you're ever up my way, I could introduce you to the current owner and get you a look at the amps. In fact, you could probably play Jon's original GT-100 that he upgraded from.

Guest HRB853370

well I was saying you don't need a whole bunch of amps....I have bought & sold a ton of amps and I am realizing you don't *need* all that crap!!

it really is an excessive luxury. I could get all of my tones out of a SF Fender with a pedal or two

my main amp is a Garnet Jammer: a 2xEL34 1x12 combo with cascading channels, kind of like a more raw sounding Boogie

otherwise the holy grail of amps IMO are a JTM45, an AC30, a tweed deluxe, and a Garnet BTO

In that case, why don't you sell me your SF SR? :icon_rabbit:

Any of the 10" speaker fender amps: Princeton, Vibrolux, Super or Tweed Bassman.

Yep.. and this from a man who played a Peavey for most of his playing career!! But my little Princeton so sweet!! My next move will be to retube my KBP 810 AC-30 clone.. :)

I will stick to the amp that I currently own and never care to look for another. My Point to Point hand wired Gries 35! It can do the Blackface cleans (minus the Tremolo) way better than the Blackfaces made today, and it rivals most vintage stuff I have heard (certainly more reliable). It has a midrange knob that when maxed can get you into the Brownface/ Tweed range. Add in Master volume for playing at reasonable home volumes, kick ass reverb, and user adjustable bias for 6L6's (vibrolux) or 6V6's (deluxe reverb). Not to mention that it is portable and light and I had it built to my exact specs, right down to the freaking Tolex, wheat grill cloth, and handle on top with a pedalboard that matches exactly, I cannot lose this thing. Sorry for gushing. =)

Typing this response is what made me take it off the market for sale... I will find another way to make it work. Thank you koula for making me realize what I have. GREAT POST!!! I love this place.

These do the job for me :) VR for cleans, 5E3 for crunch. The only other sound I'd like on tap is an AC30.

null-19.jpg

null-18.jpg

Hey H, Your amps are stunning, which I've already said. And being on the other side of the world you can't make one for me, which you've already said. What amp do you think I should buy over here?

Something Fender, something early Marshall, something Voxy, something Dumble-y. Output sections should comprise 6v6, 6l6, el84, el34 tube-age. And no prejudice against the Axe-fx, either.

In a sentence! Thank you. Now all I need is a sugar mama.

I have alot of amps and I find useful tones in all of them, and non are high gain style amps other the the MESA DC, but I just use the clean channel on that one.

1961 Ampeg Mercury (6V6), 2010 Ampeg J12 (6V6), 1964 Deluxe Reverb (6V6), TopHat Club Deluxe (6V6) Frenzel Super Deluxe (6V6), (2) 1949/50 Chicago Webster 166's (6V6), Fender Super Champ XD (6V6), Vox AC15HW1 (EL84), Blandford "English Rose" (EL84, custom 18 watt Marshall Style Amp), Mesa DC2 (EL84), 1965 Alamo Fury (7868),

same list but with info about speakers and modifications...

1961 Ampeg Mercury (6V6), 2010 Ampeg J12 (6V6 modified for a little higher gain and more reliability), 1964 Deluxe Reverb (6V6 Weber 12A150 speaker ), TopHat Club Deluxe (6V6) Frenzel Super Deluxe head (6V6 loaded but can also take 6L6 tubes for when I want some spank, I use it with a 4X10 jensen loaded bottom), (2) 1949/50 Chicago Webster 166's (6V6 modified with guitar inputs), Fender Super Champ XD (6V6 with Celestion G10), Vox AC15HW1 (EL84), Blandford "English Rose" head (EL84, custom 18 watt Marshall Style Amp and this is the best amp I own, I use it with a 2X12 closed back cab loaded with Celestion G12T ), Mesa DC-2 (EL84 Celestion Blue and 1X12 Celestion Greenback Ext Cab), 1965 Alamo Fury (7868).

Hey H, Your amps are stunning, which I've already said. And being on the other side of the world you can't make one for me, which you've already said. What amp do you think I should buy over here?

Thanks, glad you like them :) I'd love to make an amp for you but, as we've said, it wouldn't be practical for lots of reasons. As my kids get nearer to flying the nest, I see a potential for building amps to order appearing. Can't wait for that day :)

OK, if you'd like my personal opinion on what to buy, I have to qualify it a little first: I've only heard you play jazz but you expressed an interest in both my amps. I can 'hear' the Vibrolux doing jazz cleans but not so for the 5E3, so I guess you do the James Gang stuff in your private moments :)

Here goes then! I recommend you buy a new amp from a boutique builder. Vintage amps can sound great but unless you can maintain them yourself, you'll get ripped off for the various things that will need fixing on it over the years.

For your VR noises, I recommend the Allen Encore http://www.allenamps.com/encore.php

A single channel VR with a midrange knob. Who uses channel one on a VR anyway?

For your 5E3 noises, there is only one. It's the one and only amp I'd sell my granny into slavery for: the Tungsten Crema Wheat http://www.tungstenamp.com/amps.htm

Be sure to watch the Greg V demo of this amp!

I'm sure others will have different ideas, my ideas were the ones you asked for ;)

Archived