Heritage Owners Club

Must Have Amps

koula901

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same list but with info about speakers and modifications...

1961 Ampeg Mercury (6V6), 2010 Ampeg J12 (6V6 modified for a little higher gain and more reliability), 1964 Deluxe Reverb (6V6 Weber 12A150 speaker ), TopHat Club Deluxe (6V6) Frenzel Super Deluxe head (6V6 loaded but can also take 6L6 tubes for when I want some spank, I use it with a 4X10 jensen loaded bottom), (2) 1949/50 Chicago Webster 166's (6V6 modified with guitar inputs), Fender Super Champ XD (6V6 with Celestion G10), Vox AC15HW1 (EL84), Blandford "English Rose" head (EL84, custom 18 watt Marshall Style Amp and this is the best amp I own, I use it with a 2X12 closed back cab loaded with Celestion G12T ), Mesa DC-2 (EL84 Celestion Blue and 1X12 Celestion Greenback Ext Cab), 1965 Alamo Fury (7868).

VERRY nice stable of amps, Dan!

VOX AC15C (PCB or hand wired, whichever you can afford).

It's not my primary amp but it certainly is in the category of must have.

I have the handwired but, the PCB version is GREAT souding! When I returned mine to the store to get the

hardwired version I missed it immediately, fortunately one of my best friends bought it, so I have visitation

rights!!!

I have the handwired but, the PCB version is GREAT souding! When I returned mine to the store to get the

hardwired version I missed it immediately, fortunately one of my best friends bought it, so I have visitation

rights!!!

I just moved mine to sit on top of one of my Marshall 4x12 cabinets and now all 5 speakers are being driven when the amp is in operation. (Insert mad scientist evil laugh here.)

I just moved mine to sit on top of one of my Marshall 4x12 cabinets and now all 5 speakers are being driven when the amp is in operation. (Insert mad scientist evil laugh here.)

here, let me help:

I agree with Slider.. For me, and this is a big change over years past, it's my 68 Princeton Custom cranked to about two thirds and an overdrive pedal.. Then I can use the volume on the guitar to go from crystal clean to a nice bite very easily!!

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it was a Fender Blackface variant (Carr Rambler), a tweed (Victoria Ivy League), and a Marshall inspired circuit (ThroBak 1974X clone). All I need now is a Vox AC30 and I can paint with all the colors!

I have been rather enjoying my sleeper amp. Early 70's Traynor YGM-4 Guitar Mate converted to a 1x12. I'd say its a Deluxe Reverb with EL-84's. Yep, hands down the best amp I've used or owned (pair of KBP810 Reverb Deluxes, Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall 1974x clone, Peavey Valveking, Peavey Delta Blues, Fender Superchamp XD, Fender Blues Jr w/ BillM mods, Fender Supersonic 60, and Fender Mustang II.). I've played many others friends have and at the stores...

Barrymclark- My favorite youtube lesson subscription site "Cifra Club" uses the Roland Cube 80 in a lot of their videos. Great sounding amp in their videos :)

I will have to check it out. The guy I saw with one when I was deciding to get mine a few years ago was GrahamBop (I think that was his username). Really dug his tone.

I almost winner if I shoulda gone with the 60x or something as the 80 is definitely bottom heavy in tone. Sounds great. Controllable. Just wondering if the sweet spot on the EQ is more at noon with the 60. I won't be dropping the 80x tho. Just too sweet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I tend to categorize into vintage and modern--quite a few of the modern boutique amps do a very nice job of coming close to vintage sounds IMO. Some of the modern amps--Mesa Boogie's newer Mark and Lonestar series come to mind--do a pretty good job of replicating a pretty wide variety of sounds.

I'm down to an old standby that I will probably never get rid of--a Mesa IIB. IMO the newer Mesa's can try to duplicate the old Mark sound but don't get the expressive lead tone right. In other respects they are much better though.

Next on the list is a Vox I think. Love to get a bigger one but might have to be an AC4 with kids still in college. Those do a pretty good job though in my limited experience with playing a few. Or a dedicated acoustic amp for my A/E.

well, if I had to choose, my must have amp would be a Garnet

they are gnarlier than a vintage marshall

snottier than an old tweed

and cheaper, because they are sleepers....no one knows about them

here's a couple of the bigger ones:

p600s_ch.jpg

I tend to categorize into vintage and modern--quite a few of the modern boutique amps do a very nice job of coming close to vintage sounds IMO. Some of the modern amps--Mesa Boogie's newer Mark and Lonestar series come to mind--do a pretty good job of replicating a pretty wide variety of sounds.

I'm down to an old standby that I will probably never get rid of--a Mesa IIB. IMO the newer Mesa's can try to duplicate the old Mark sound but don't get the expressive lead tone right. In other respects they are much better though.

Next on the list is a Vox I think. Love to get a bigger one but might have to be an AC4 with kids still in college. Those do a pretty good job though in my limited experience with playing a few. Or a dedicated acoustic amp for my A/E.

In facts I am having a pretty bad GAS for a Mark IIC+.

I need a cure

For me it's world class cleans, Fender Twin /Showman

Great blues crunch, Fender Bassman

and a seriously versatile dirt amp, and I found them all in one amp

The Fender Super Sonic 100.

No more 'Fender like' cleans, but a real Fender Twin/Showman circuit.

No more 'Fender like' Bassman crunch but instead a real Bassman circuit.

And the deepest dirt channel I've ever seen on any amp.

Along with other features such as selectable damping, auto bias, selectable 100/25 watt setting, and a notch tune midrange control on the dirt channel I think Fender did their best to make this an all encompassing amp. I also chose the head over the Twin combo version because I have a bunch of different speaker cabs which allow me change cabs at the drop of a hat, and of course that can make all the difference in the world.

For me it's world class cleans, Fender Twin /Showman

Great blues crunch, Fender Bassman

and a seriously versatile dirt amp, and I found them all in one amp

The Fender Super Sonic 100.

No more 'Fender like' cleans, but a real Fender Twin/Showman circuit.

No more 'Fender like' Bassman crunch but instead a real Bassman circuit.

And the deepest dirt channel I've ever seen on any amp.

Along with other features such as selectable damping, auto bias, selectable 100/25 watt setting, and a notch tune midrange control on the dirt channel I think Fender did their best to make this an all encompassing amp. I also chose the head over the Twin combo version because I have a bunch of different speaker cabs which allow me change cabs at the drop of a hat, and of course that can make all the difference in the world.

...and the heaviest Fender combo ever!

Guest HRB853370

...and the heaviest Fender combo ever!

Fender Supersonic 60 Combo- 54 lbs

65 Fender Twin Reverb amp- 64 lbs

But the even Peavey Delta blues was too heavy for you !

Guest HRB853370

Got the hots for a new box, since this thread began.... Top Hat Super Deluxe! But...think I'm about to have the '61 Concert I played a month ago offered to me.... Dilemma!

And what is a Top Hat pray tell?

PCB or P2P?

Got the hots for a new box, since this thread began.... Top Hat Super Deluxe! But...think I'm about to have the '61 Concert I played a month ago offered to me.... Dilemma!

You won't lose a dime on the the brownface Concert, if you get it at a fair price. Plus they are rarer than a Top Hat SD. The brownface mojo is addicting. I have heard nothing but good thing about Top Hot amps, but nothing sounds like a vintage brownface!!!

Tough call, good luck.

Weight & space is another thing to consider, especially with the 4x10 Concert vs the 1x12 Top Hat.

Rob, are you considering the EL34 version of the Top Hat SD or the standard 6L6 version?

I have never played through a Top Hat, but I have owned two amps with EL34 tubes and those amps never could achieve the clean American tones of a good 6V6 or 6L6 tubed amp. AND, call me crazy, I even prefer the crunch tones of 6v6 & 6L6 (using an OD or Distortion pedal) over the crunch tones of EL34s.

Archived