Heritage Owners Club

Another Tweed 5E3 circuit question..mids / highs

Hfan

I've noticed that my new Lil Dawg Tweed seems to lean towards mids. I can have a Tele bridge pickup on full treble and the amp tone on full treble and no ice pick to be found. Pretty cool but i wouldn't mind a little more hi frequency. Is this normal for the circuit?

Currently has a Maverick attenuator speaker. First noticed at full attenuation, now probably less than half attenuation. The seller also had a 25W Eminence C12R speaker, is it worth it to offer the guy $25 for it (he has no use for it) and give it a shot? They are pretty cheap new.

Tweed amps will always be heavily mid dominant, and the few attenuators I used never help the tone... Swashing the tone like a bad compressor.

I would play it without the attenuator and see if it still give you the problem.

I don't know anything about the Jensen speaker you're referring to, Pete, but I suspect that a speaker swap is most likely to get you nearer to what you want. Why not get in touch with the amp builder and ask his opinion?

For the record, I put a Celestion G12H30 in my 5E3 for the same reason.

I put a Celestion Anniv G12H30 in my brownface Vibrolux. I tried like 4 other speakers and the Chinese Celestion Anniv G12H30 sounds glorious. Tons of lows and nice brilliant highs that aren't ice picky. Celestion make a G12H30 in England, but many think the Chinese ones sound better, more open, less muddy & congested.

You don't normally associate Fender amps and Celestion speakers, but Mike said that Keef uses Celestions in his Tweed amps.

Yes, $25 is worth it. I would try that first, it will probably sound better over the entire range. As said earlier the tweeds are mid range amps so that will always be the dominate tone type of the amp. I personally love the mids from tweeds, the B and S face fenders are too shrill for me.

The volumes and tone controls on a tweed deluxe are very interactive. Plugging in the bright input and turning up the normal volume will scoop some of the mids. The weber version of the celestion blue sounds good in this amp.

Thanks 58. I've been playing with the various controls and hooking up a patch cable between channels. I'm starting to like the Maverick attenuator speaker..Doesn't hurt that it is bought and paid for ha ha.

I dialed in less attenuation, found a way to access the adjustment dial with out removing the tubes (tight squeeze), holy cow this thing is, as Rob said, a paint peeler. Really a bit much for home use without some way to tame it.

It is cool to get good tones with a bridge pickup tone on 10.

I've looked around and read that several other Webers are also very good for this circuit, the Weber 12A125 comes to mind. I'm leaving it for now as is, one day I can see installing a high quality 12W (or less?) output transformer and do some speaker swapping. This thing is actually very cool hooked up in tandem to my hot roded Blues Jr.

I had meant to add that the tone of the Maverick is pretty consistent at various levels of attenuation. I was thinking that I lost some highs when I added attenuation but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Archived