Heritage Owners Club

NGD....137 Korina

brentrocks

My travels once again bring me to a very rare and unusual Heritage!

This is a 2012 H 137. Korina body, Mahogany neck, aluminum Pigtail tailpiece, Grovers, Lollar P-90s, rosewood board with traps, bound/inlayed peghead, bound, chunky neck and an ebony heel cap.

I think this was an employee build, because the serial # is not in standard Heritage form.

It weighs about 7.7 lbs.

It has its share of battle scars, but not abused. The neck has a nice chunky 50s feel to it. As usual, the Lollars sound incredible. Fast low action! Sounds incredible with some light OD....and is outstanding clean!!!

k7_zpsdfa18b2a.jpg

k1_zps21c129f3.jpg

k4_zps67ff5e7a.jpg

k3_zps15647cbf.jpg

k6_zps8400875a.jpg

k2_zpsefba50d6.jpg

k5_zps7816c74c.jpg

I wish I could find one with a skinny neck.. I've had two and I just need one that isn't so fat.. Just my opinion..

Honestly Brent, I was questioning if that is Korina as well. It looks like swamp ash too me, but I certainly am no wood expert. It looks like the grain pattern on my swamp ash Kin Tele, which I know is swamp ash.

Blow up these pics and look at the grain.

Web4-3.jpg

Web6-2.jpg

Grain in wood can be deceiving. Brent makes his living working with wood. I'm guessing he knows the difference between an ash and something like Korina/Mahogany, if only from the weight and hardness. I'm not convinced either way by the pics.

As always, what do I know. 2 cents....

It does look like Ash....but Heritage never used Ash on anything. And this was made right about the time when the limited run of 137 Korinas were being made for Wolfe.....there was prob a body left over that didn't have a korina neck.

post-408-0-07279500-1388633000_thumb.jpg

My 2007 137 Korina.

This August Marv took me into a couple of rooms behind the "wheel". He helped me choose my body wood from the Parsons street stash. No ash, just Korina, Mahogny, Maple Rosewood and ebony for finger boards. With several ways to slice Korina it has a few different looks. If anyone thinks Jim and Marv don't know what type of wood they purchase and build with, they are mistaken to say the least.

There are a $#!+load of Korina H137's (new old stock) with P90's, bound neck & headstocks and upgraded fretboards right down the street from me. The problem is that they are asking something like $2700.00 or more for them. But I'm sure you got a much better price for yours.

Side note... This place I'm talking about ordered about 30 Heritage guitars all at once (years ago), each having some very difficult to sell options (mostly triple P90's it seems) and as a result, all these Heritage guitars sitting there collecting dust are preventing another local (and highly motivated) guitar store from becoming a Heritage dealer. The old store isn't making an effort to sell what they have and the new store down the street really wants to become a dealer but Heritage won't allow it due to the two stores being so close to each other. This "old store" isn't listed on the Heritage web site as a dealer so maybe they should try to make that happen. Oh well, not my fight. But I would like to see some new Heritage guitars make it onto the shelves of local stores.

Archived