Heritage Owners Club

Marshall 18w clone

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently looking for a lower wattage amp. Is 18W enough to play a club gig with?

I was going to get a Jet city 20W. But then I saw a Rivera Pubster 25W that looks like it will fit the bill. Big enough for clubs but small enough where I can open up the power section without hurting ears.....

I'm currently looking for a lower wattage amp. Is 18W enough to play a club gig with?

I was going to get a Jet city 20W. But then I saw a Rivera Pubster 25W that looks like it will fit the bill. Big enough for clubs but small enough where I can open up the power section without hurting ears.....

Depends on the amp.

The one Brent has is loud. Plenty loud for a gig.

My old Blues Junior was plenty loud enough for a club, but I've learned it's more about your drummer and how hard he hits the skins. While my Blues Junior or my Traynor could keep up and even over take my old Blues band, my new Blues-Rock band is freakin loud. My Jet City JCA22H with a 2x12 is over powering them. Master volume is maybe set to 10 o'clock. I think any low wattage amp 5 watts to 20 watts pushed through more speakers is better than a 50+ watt amp in a 1x12 combo.... Unless you what super high volume with crystal clean tone.

I regularly gig a 15w Mesa Transatlantic thru a Mesa 1x12 wide body cab. Haven't had any issues keeping up with our drummer. Who happens to play quite hard. That 25w Pubster should be a great acquisition.

I told my wife I'm getting a less powerful amp so I'll save my hearing.... She cant argue with that!!!

Figure a 25w head should give me more then enough power for any club I play. If not I still have my Chubster 40...

Power = headroom first and foremost.

A 100 W amps is only twice as loud as a 10 W amp.

Indeed - the decibel scale is logarithmic, so to be twice as loud as 100W you'd need 1000W. The other factor to take into consideration is the efficiency of the speaker. To quote from Stewart Ward (who made the Sessionette solid state amps which were very popular in the UK) on page 10 of the pdf document -

"A speaker’s loudness is measure in decibels (dB) and is quoted as Sound Pressure Level (SPL). The higher the SPL figure, the louder the acoustic output will be for the same power input to the speaker. To buy an amplifier on the basis of watts alone is not a very good indicator of volume. This important measurement is related to the magnet strength. Budget speakers often have an SPL of 93 to 95dB (Seventy-80 - Fig. 3), many are 97dB and really good ones are 100/103 dB. The difference between the numbers is only small, but each 3dB step up is like doubling your amplifiers power. That means a 50 watt amplifier fitted with a 100dB speaker (Vintage 30 - Fig.2 ) will produce the same acoustic sound output as putting 100 watts of power into a 97dB speaker. Taking this further, if you fit a 103dB speaker (Celestion G12- Century - Fig. 4) into the same amp, it will be like quadrupling the amps power... the equivalent of 400 watts into the 97 dB speaker."

Hi,noticed your amp has an added mv on the normal channel low input,does this work on both channels,or just the normal?

The MV only works on the middle channel. I going to try a speaker chance today, this amp is kinda dark....or maybe is needs a bright cap?

I think that`s the underlying tone of this design,some call it chewy or phat!

Run mine into a 2x12 with Tayden `True Brit `speakers ( a G12m take) usually,it does sound a

little brighter through a 4x12 with G12-65 `s fitted that I have.

The MV only works on the middle channel. I going to try a speaker chance today, this amp is kinda dark....or maybe is needs a bright cap?

That's just the nature of this circuit. The ThroBak is mid heavy too. I put a greenback in it and it sounds totally Beano. I still have the Red Fang that you had installed in the ThroBak if you want to give that a try in yours.

That's just the nature of this circuit. The ThroBak is mid heavy too. I put a greenback in it and it sounds totally Beano. I still have the Red Fang that you had installed in the ThroBak if you want to give that a try in yours.

seems like the Throbak was not as dark?

Guest HRB853370

Power = headroom first and foremost.

A 100 W amps is only twice as loud as a 10 W amp.

That is not quite true. Doubling the wattage results in a 10db increase in sound pressure levels. So going from 50 to 100 watts is only a 10db increase in sound pressure level.

That is not quite true. Doubling the wattage results in a 10db increase in sound pressure levels. So going from 50 to 100 watts is only a 10db increase in sound pressure level.

Will check your sources. A power ratio of 2 means 3dB. A power ratio of 10 is 10 dB

How did your speaker change work out Brent ?

not really....the Vintage 30 was not quite as dark. I put a vintage rectifier in....and a couple vintage 12AX7s. Good news is that I can easily brighten it up with my OD pedals.

Here is a lil clip I did with is yesterday....

http://youtu.be/FvNbXrJ5uwg

Archived