Heritage Owners Club

Speaking of Low Watt Heads...

My plan is to dismantle one of my two '80's Fender Champ II amps, and turn it into a Head-Cab rig.

The best sounding of these is the least attractive (rust, scuffs, wear n tear, etc.), so it gets selected for the make-over.

I've decided to match its new look to my Lacquered Tweed Fender Deluxe extension speaker cab. I know it'll sound great because it is currently connected to it via the 8ohm speaker jack.

The head is being made, but I can hardly contain myself in anticipation. So the thread starts here, and with any luck, the finished product will make its way to me...in about a month or two. I chose an extremely simple amp, but with known reliability. Plus its point to point, handwired from Fullerton!

Here's the factory specs:

Watts: 18 watts
Tubes:

• Pre amp: 2 x 7025
  • Power: 2 x 6V6GTA
  • Bias:
  • Rectifier: Solid State

Time permitting, I'll take a BEFORE photo for the build record, but for now, here's a very nice example of a very clean Champ II...

Champ_II.jpg

Excellent idea! I await build updates; please, do keep us abreast...

This should be good! Keep us posted, Tim. Also, while we wait, maybe you could remind us what OTHER amp casing you had custom built... (Blues Junior.) I never get tired of seeing it.

For you, Schundog!!

Blues Jr. (Bill M modded); custom cab by the now defunct Sultone, Imperial model with flamed maple and purpleheart.

post-8-0-18650500-1393945841_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-79828800-1393945859_thumb.jpg

Well, that is probably the slickest looking Blues Jr. any of us will ever see. Classy to say the least. Have fun with that Champ. I've had a bunch of fun on a Rivera designed Princeton Reverb II.

Well, that is probably the slickest looking Blues Jr. any of us will ever see. Classy to say the least. Have fun with that Champ. I've had a bunch of fun on a Rivera designed Princeton Reverb II.

Dell~ Over the last 5 years or so, I really got into the Rivera-era amps. Last year I found a PR II on Ebay and have been 'restoring' it. It was butt-ugly with stains and tarnish on the exterior. But the innards were pristine and still had '80's tubes in it! I dropped in some fresh Electro Harmonix 12ax7's, pulled out that crappy OEM speaker and dropped in an Eminence Cannabis Rex and oh MAN, what a tone!

So I know the fun you are referring to. Enjoy!

Beautiful cab gitfiddler! Now I know why your cab builder went out of business; sanding purpleheart and maple together gets to be a color run problem. She's gorgeous!

Dell~ Over the last 5 years or so, I really got into the Rivera-era amps. Last year I found a PR II on Ebay and have been 'restoring' it. It was butt-ugly with stains and tarnish on the exterior. But the innards were pristine and still had '80's tubes in it! I dropped in some fresh Electro Harmonix 12ax7's, pulled out that crappy OEM speaker and dropped in an Eminence Cannabis Rex and oh MAN, what a tone!

So I know the fun you are referring to. Enjoy!

Now, looks don't mean I'd like the tone... but I gotta tell you, as I have before, that is one HOT looking amp. I really dig the deco look.

• 3 weeks later...

Gitfittler, I had a Princeton II that was mint with a special design Weber speaker in it, and I used

to love to punish that amp, and it could take it. I sold it to help fund one of my National Reso

builds and it was something I wish I wouldn't never one. It was a great amp! It didn't really sound

like a real 60's Princeton, as the reverb was weak (and yes I've heard more than just this one)

but it still had a great Fender clean, and the dirt channel, when dialed in, sceamed like a Banshee.

It was more like a Boogie than a Blackface.

Gitfittler, I had a Princeton II that was mint with a special design Weber speaker in it, and I used

to love to punish that amp, and it could take it. I sold it to help fund one of my National Reso

builds and it was something I wish I wouldn't never one. It was a great amp! It didn't really sound

like a real 60's Princeton, as the reverb was weak (and yes I've heard more than just this one)

but it still had a great Fender clean, and the dirt channel, when dialed in, sceamed like a Banshee.

It was more like a Boogie than a Blackface.

Definitely Boogie-like!!

To me, these Rivera-era amps are the last of the best from Fender. All are point-to-point, handwired tone monsters, and easy to work on or mod. Most are still a relative bargain, but the word is getting out and prices starting to climb.

Each time you hum the Jeopardy theme, you'll be 30 seconds closer to accepting delivery.

• 1 month later...

Update...

Sorry for the drop out on this project. Life happened and there were many interruptions.

I will attempt to load photos of the "Fender Champ II Custom Tweed" project from start to finish.

Archived