Heritage Owners Club

NGD....Gary Moore H 150

brentrocks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EMGs are not the same size as standard humbuckers as I recall. But I'm sure there's a way to put in whatever you want for pups.

There are a couple of reasons not to change them. First, you may like them. I do. They are dead quiet and bring out every nuance, including sounds you may not want. For clean players, it forces perfect technique. The battery lasts forever.

Some don't like EMGs because of their starkness. They don't have the "warmth" (which means selective frequencies suppression) of traditional pickups.

Gary Moore and many other hi gain players got along with them. Of course Gary ended up going back to Gibson and standard humbuckers. But for a time EMGs worked well for him.

While I do like EMGs, I'm not sure that they would be my choice if I only had one guitar.

The second reason to not change the pickups is that it alters a collectible guitar. If you want a H150 with SDs, it makes no sense to convert a Gary Moore.

Congrats on a great grab, Brent. It's a great thing to find a deal on something that's really special. ( of course, all of my Heritages seem special to me )

I haven't worked with EMG's , but they sound good in the vid.

But then again, maybe if you keep this long enough, you'll probably start wondering what a set of Throbaks would do in there.

The EMGs are not the same size as standard humbuckers as I recall. But I'm sure there's a way to put in whatever you want for pups.

There are a couple of reasons not to change them. First, you may like them. I do. They are dead quiet and bring out every nuance, including sounds you may not want. For clean players, it forces perfect technique. The battery lasts forever.

Some don't like EMGs because of their starkness. They don't have the "warmth" (which means selective frequencies suppression) of traditional pickups.

Gary Moore and many other hi gain players got along with them. Of course Gary ended up going back to Gibson and standard humbuckers. But for a time EMGs worked well for him.

While I do like EMGs, I'm not sure that they would be my choice if I only had one guitar.

The second reason to not change the pickups is that it alters a collectible guitar. If you want a H150 with SDs, it makes no sense to convert a Gary Moore.

A very good perspective Mark. I like the tone of them in this guitar. A nice contrast to the Skolnick 150.

Great top, great color! And "beauty marks"...exactly! Love a player! She's a honey Brent! Congrats on the snag; I know how much you love those G.M.'s

Thanks Rob! I think the original owner was a professional musician, like yourself. The kind of wear, the placement of the wear and the fact that the nut slots were wore down, tells me that this guitar was well loved and well played....it will be available for spanking at the barn in August.

Archived