Heritage Owners Club

Happy H155 Homecoming

LK155

Nice. So the take away from this as I understand it... and you need to carefully explain this to Marge... is that you acquire guitars in. You rarely rarely rarely ever cycle them out.

That 1-in-1-out thingamabod is just plain wrong.

Congrats - that's a pretty guitar.

Nice. So the take away from this as I understand it... and you need to carefully explain this to Marge... is that you acquire guitars in. You rarely rarely rarely ever cycle them out.

That 1-in-1-out thingamabod is just plain wrong.

Boy...I'll say....

OK, let's tell the truth here. What's behind me temporarily relocating my H155 (and H137) with Grubber is that I believed what people told me, and what's worse, I believed what I told myself.

People told me that since I played a kind of bluesy/jazzy style an archtop guitar would be perfect for me.

People told me that one-in/one-out was the only way to manage instrument acquisitions without being in danger of murder-by-spouse.

Both of these things turned out to be completely inaccurate. I mean, really, can you imagine ZZ Top explaining to his significant other exactly why he needed that 600th guitar?

I told myself that having an archtop guitar would make me a better player.

I told myself that losing the P90 sounds from my H137 wouldn't matter because an H525 also had P90's.

I told myself that losing the Seth Lovers' sound from my H155 wouldn't matter because my H535 also had Seths.

I told myself that having an archtop guitar would give me better TONE and would stop my hair from turning white.

All of these things turned out to be complete BS.

So I went off on that tangent, wildly pursuing John's H525, thinking it justified selling one or more of my guitars just to get my hands on it.

It's unfortunate that I couldn't become comfortable with that H525, as it is a truly beautiful guitar. I'm glad Rich has it.

I'd like to think this whole exercise with selling the H137 and H155, then buying them back, has made me smarter.

I'd like to think that.

Really.

People told me that since I played a kind of bluesy/jazzy style an archtop guitar would be perfect for me. Perfect is relative, but it's true that you should have an archtop in your toolbox

People told me that one-in/one-out was the only way to manage instrument acquisitions without being in danger of murder-by-spouse. False.

I told myself that having an archtop guitar would make me a better player. Usually true in that you gain the insight (to apply to future projects) to play on another instrument design. Absolutely true if arch is inspiring.

I told myself that losing the P90 sounds from my H137 wouldn't matter because an H525 also had P90's. False

I told myself that losing the Seth Lovers' sound from my H155 wouldn't matter because my H535 also had Seths. False

I told myself that having an archtop guitar would give me better TONE and would stop my hair from turning white. Potentially true. 525 turned out not to be 'it' for you. But a 575/550/Eagle w/humbuckers might.

All of these things turned out to be complete BS.

I'd like to think this whole exercise with selling the H137 and H155, then buying them back, has made me smarter. Believe it

I'd like to think that. go ahead

Really. yup

Ah - I see the thought process that led you astray. Yeh, believing what other's tell you and then what you tell yourself can get 'cha in trouble. Believe you me.

I've placed the answer key above next to your statements for you to cross-check against. Sorry... I had these answers all along and could've sent them saving you some time/trouble.

Just a comment on archtops, 525, and/or P90s. I'd suggest that you don't place 'all archtops' in your 525 experience. Possible (I'd even say probable) that should you spend time with a larger/deeper archtop with humbuckers (575, 550, Eagle)... that you might find 'the one' that inspires you. 525's are wonderful instruments and can cover a lot of ground, but they're not necessarily representative of a big body hollow box w/hums. Listening to your wonderful music, imho a nice hollow body might just fit the bill for you. Not as a replacement, but as another voice. By the same logic, you should explore a tele, strat, 150... and of course the cool thing (or problem depending on how you look at it) is that guitars have those subtle variations within the same design to give them varying feel and voice. But for your music... yeh, I totally get why some or you would be drawn to hollow body boxes. Or teles. Or...

Believe it.

Really :)

Great pictures, Chris. Lyle, my 525 and 575 sound completely different from each other. Neither one BAD, but definitely different. Give a 575 a spin sometime. You are certainly welcome to play mine at PSP.

Great pictures, Chris. Lyle, my 525 and 575 sound completely different from each other. Neither one BAD, but definitely different. Give a 575 a spin sometime. You are certainly welcome to play mine at PSP.

This wasn't really my experience Brian. I thought my 525 sounded so close to my 575 (both with flatwound strings) that I let the 525 go up for sale. But everyone hears tones differently. Also my 525 (Lyle's old one) has a floating bridge like the 575s and I definitely think this make the 525s more "archtop & woodier" sounding. I can't remember if your 525 has the floating bridge or the TOM directly on top of the guitar.

My 525 has the TOM bridge, John. Maybe that's it; Maybe it's the laminate top VS solid top; The 575 IS deeper, too. Either way, it's interesting to me that we are on such opposite ends of the discussion. Another obvious suspect for the difference in sound is that mine are strung with different gauge strings; 11 D'Darrio Chromes on the 575 and D'Darrio 10s on the 525. My bet is that you are right that the difference is related to the floating VS TOM bridge. I DEFINITELY hear a difference between my two, unplugged or plugged in.

Well, it's a crappy cold/snowy morning so I thought taking a couple of pictures would be a good way to avoid doing anything productive.

Small room, requiring a wide angle shot, and of course my wall posters look skewed. And no choice but to use artificial light, which distorts the colours significantly and casts lots of shadows.

But it'll be a while before any outdoor shots are possible. So be it.

Here's the Kalamazoo group..........

DSC_0280_001_zps625882bc.jpg

DSC_0279_001_zps6c696adf.jpg

Guest HRB853370

Great guitar collection. Now I know where you got the name LK155 now. BTW, I would like to buy the third one from the left. Whaddya say?

Will, if I'm counting correctly, you're referring to the H155.

If I sold that one again (unlikely), I'd have to change my forum name.

And that sounds like a lot of bother.

If I sold that one again (unlikely), I'd have to change my forum name.

And that sounds like a lot of bother.

How ironic that you directed that at the former 'Skinslammer' :)

Well, it's a crappy cold/snowy morning so I thought taking a couple of pictures would be a good way to avoid doing anything productive.

Small room, requiring a wide angle shot, and of course my wall posters look skewed. And no choice but to use artificial light, which distorts the colours significantly and casts lots of shadows.

But it'll be a while before any outdoor shots are possible. So be it.

Here's the Kalamazoo group..........

DSC_0280_001_zps625882bc.jpg

DSC_0279_001_zps6c696adf.jpg

Great family shot! EXCEPT.... The 137 needs a pickguard and the 535 doesn't, and VSB is THE color for 150s. That Blue one is gorgeous, though!

212F0D7A-995F-4834-893C-173FC98AF828_zps

Archived