Heritage Owners Club

If you were designing a new Heritage guitar. What would it look like?

pushover

Imagine you are hired by Heritage to  help them design their new line of guitars. They'll want a rock and roll machine, blues box, and jazz box, and obviously they'll have diifferent qualities to them.

Pick one, pick all.. draw a picture, get out photo-shop, or just describe it. Eiether way, if you were able to get Heritage to make your "perfect" killer guitar what would it be, and would it be different than what they already build.

Millenium Deluxe w/Lollar P90's.

Single Cutaway

Solid Top w/F-Holes

Chestnut Burst

AAAA Maple

Creme Binding

Mahogany Neck

Fat 50's Neck Profile

Split Diagonal 'Super500' Inlays

Ebony Fretboard

Gold Hardware (TonePros)

8)

Fun post - guess it wouldn't be any different for the most part.  Can already customize existing models and for rock they have the 150/157/170, for blues the 535/555/525, for jazz a number of thick body models with the entire line wonderous works or art and tone machines.

So, what would 'new' be?...  a slight modification to existing (P90 models for example) or totally new (such as the 110 model)?  They've not had great success on the single coil models (strat/tele like) and as much as I'd LOVE to buy a Heritage 'tele', not sure that a model like that would be a big success across the market.  I guess in the end, I'd tell the guy that hired me that "you hired the wrong guy - you don't need a designer, you need Marketing resource"...  (but not until I'd given them the tele-like model design  ;D

Being a dealer (for only a year though), this is something I'm always interested in. Did Gibson (Les Paul, 335) and Fender (Tele, Strat) get it perfect right out of the box? The shapes have not changed. I think of Harley/Davidson and the awful designs (hardtail, every motor until recently, etc.) that were state of the art many decades ago that just hung on. And on. And on. I think Italian bikes are better (Ducati, Agusta) and Japanese bikes are better, even English bikes are better. So did Gibson get it right? Am I like the those Harley guys who are clinging to old technology, old designs, pure nostalgia? Is my love of Heritage guitars based on nostalgia? I just don't know. Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, etc., do nothing for me. I do like Suhr and Anderson much more than Fenders, but admit to being drawn to their "copies" more than their original shapes.

Millenium Deluxe with P90s super 400 inlays, rosewood boards, nickel (locking) tonepro hardware. Single & double cut with toggle on the bass side.

Outside of the Heritage site and this forum - who knows about the semi-solid body

(made by the guys that make copies of a Gipsum)s new design already out?

Easier said then done my friends... what pushover fails to understand... ;D

If you guys think there's little innovation in solid bodies, check out archtops. However, I prefer that Heritage focus on what it does best and not start trying to imitate D'aquistos.

Just in case anyone from K-zoo is reading: a production 575 Custom with P-90s and bring back the Johnny Smith model/endorsement now that Guild/Benedetto has folded.

If looking for ideas for a totally new model, maybe they could design an airline freindly laminate like the Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno?  Those always seem sold out. 

Not a model but: fix the website and maybe add a direct order option?

Alright.. I'll throw myself to the lions, and put out a design that I find visually appealing. By definition most of you will hate it.. and that's o.k.. (do something better then.. ). Also.. I'm sure I must be knocking off someone elses design and you can probably already buy something that looks close to this, but I don't know what that might be off the top of my head. So if I'm stealing someone elses design, sorry, it's not intentional (but there's really only so much you can do with a basic guitar shape.)

I don't have the drawing right tools to do this properly, so forgive the rather shoddy art work. I also probably don't have the scale right, but my intention is for this to be a little on the "smaller" side (smaller than an LP). This might actually show up as scale between the neck and the rest, but use your imagination.

I specifically wanted to go for something closer to an accoustic shape, with softer curves, and my thought is that it would actually be a semi-acoustic, though it could easily be a solid body also. Semi-acoustics seem to be the most versitle so I foolishly attempted to be different and tried to put a sound hole in the middle on the off chance that it might actually be possible to do that without violating some critical design constraint. Given modern electronics, it would easily be possible to do all sorts of things electronically from standard PuPs to including something like pizzo bridge pickup, and/or other active pickups to make it be able to sound like whatever you might want it to sound like.

Anyway.. as you can see I was sloughing off work, and decided a little fun. Don't worry I'm not taking this very seriously..

< insert fanfare...>  :occasion18:

Soooo.. Ladies and Germs... Without further adooo.. Introducing the pushover mark 0 guitar.

Guit.jpg

Guit.jpg_thumb

Looks like Lindsey Buckingham's guitar!

Is he still alive? Joking..

Didn't realize he was still making music, but a quick google shows up the pix below. I think you're right.. I't definately similar, though I'd want more access to the upper frets than that. It's a pretty cool guitar though... Definately along the lines I was thinking of..

Who makes that BTW? Is it a custom just for him, or is a production model? I'm sure it's uber expensive either way..

lindsey_buckingham_6.jpg

lindsey_buckingham_6.jpg_thumb

Coz started a similar thread last winter.  I proposed a fatter bodied 535 and a hollow firebird with a maple cap, f-holes and either 3 mini humbuckers or 3 p-90s.  I will stand by that today.  :)

Small bodied reverse Firebird with 3 Lollar P-90s with a 5 way blade switch for out of phase options and ease of use, block inlays, banjo tuners ( locking), MOP "The Heritage" headstock inlay.

Available in korina natural, vintage cherry and sunburst.

Can I place my order now ? ( in lefty of course)

:rolleyes:

Well, I play different brands of guitars for different needs, so I don't really want or need Heritage to try and make a better Jackson or Fender design.

I like the 110 design, and I'd like to see it extended to an H-117 model with ebony fretboard, blocks and double binding.  I'd go a little nuts over that.  The 170 is ok, but I like guitars with a larger upper horn that holds a strap pin and balances better.

And I'm going to horrify all of you by saying that I'd love one with a Floyd Rose.  :)

Well, I play different brands of guitars for different needs, so I don't really want or need Heritage to try and make a better Jackson or Fender design.

I like the 110 design, and I'd like to see it extended to an H-117 model with ebony fretboard, blocks and double binding.  I'd go a little nuts over that.  The 170 is ok, but I like guitars with a larger upper horn that holds a strap pin and balances better.

And I'm going to horrify all of you by saying that I'd love one with a Floyd Rose.  :)

I am this close to smiting you! :)

Archived