Heritage Owners Club

Playing "in your face"

And by that, I mean, no reverb, no effects, just straight up guitar to the amp. In this case, my PRS into the Jet City. To my ears, I was nailing some classic rock tones from AC/DC, ZZ Top, Mountain, Free, etc. I've nearly always relied on reverb but listening to the amp without it, I realized I've been missing out. Just a little observation I've had today.

Half of my amps have no reverb and I don't miss it. For R&R very little if any reverb is needed.

Depending on the venue, in my case Church usually, I never use reverb, but just a touch of delay.

Don't think my pedal board would fill a small room, but I have one. And use it. It helps me get that "in your face" tone without having to rip faces off doing it. Like everything else, pedals or not, it's technique and tools. If someone doesn't want them, don't use them. Doesn't mean those of us that do like them and use them are any less of a player for doing so.

As for reverb .... my Mesa TA doesn't have one, don't really miss it that much. The VOX AC30 has what is known as the absolute worse onboard reverb ever. The Mesa Lone Star has a great reverb, but the way it's integrated and interacts with the Master Vol most times I don't use it. 'Verb is a tool. Sometimes, less is more in this case.

When I'm playing "clean" blues or something a little mellow, I love my Traynor's tube driven spring reverb and its tremolo. When a dirt pedal is introduced, they sort of get washed out, but that's to be expected. I love the effect, but when I'm playing rock, I'll keep it off now.

Waaaaay back in the '90s I was in a band where the lead player used SO MUCH reverb he just disappeared into the mix. And he was a great player. Just loved that drenched tone. I always thought how much better he'd come off if he used a bit less 'verb. Got to agree with you in that respect.

Don't think my pedal board would fill a small room, but I have one. And use it. It helps me get that "in your face" tone without having to rip faces off doing it. Like everything else, pedals or not, it's technique and tools. If someone doesn't want them, don't use them. Doesn't mean those of us that do like them and use them are any less of a player for doing so.

As for reverb .... my Mesa TA doesn't have one, don't really miss it that much. The VOX AC30 has what is known as the absolute worse onboard reverb ever. The Mesa Lone Star has a great reverb, but the way it's integrated and interacts with the Master Vol most times I don't use it. 'Verb is a tool. Sometimes, less is more in this case.

Just like anything else, you've just got to know when reverb is appropriate for the song or the venue.

Both of these!!!!

I have larger pedal board and can't imagine playing without it. I must have a tuner, delay, and OD pedal. The rest of the board has effects when I need them for a song. If I just went straight into the amp without any pedals I would be way too loud, too flabby, and sound like poo. Pedals & effects are tools just as much as the guitar and amp.

Both of these!!!!

I have larger pedal board and can't imagine playing without it. I must have a tuner, delay, and OD pedal. The rest of the board has effects when I need them for a song. If I just went straight into the amp without any pedals I would be way too loud, too flabby, and sound like poo. Pedals & effects are tools just as much as the guitar and amp.

+1 I have gone from 15 pedals to 9... I am not shrinking any more than that. Kudos to those who can do without, I am happy with my board.

• 2 weeks later...

What y2kc said.

Personally, if the amp has a decent fx loop then onboard reverb might become less of a necessity. With the loop in my amps, I can put in any kind of reverb type desired, as well as other effects choices appropriate to the music and room.

In sustained notes longer than a whole note there is difference in harmonic content between with reverb and without it.

Dialing an amp in to have a great "naked" voice is an acquired skill, much more that just tone knob twiddling, and the target keeps moving as well. Personal tastes tend to change over time.

Schweeet!

Dialing an amp in to have a great "naked" voice is an acquired skill, much more that just tone knob twiddling, and the target keeps moving as well. Personal tastes tend to change over time.

:icon_thumright:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't play venues (church being an obvious one) where I can crank a non-master volume amp up to distortion. It is just too loud, plus you lose your cleans. Yes, you can turn down the volume on your guitar (but in my opinion) it is not the same as using the cleans from the amp and using great OD pedals.

If everyone at PSP used the "clean amp platform and add OD pedal" the volume would match the drummer and the DBS would be cut by at least a third.

Josh, are you using the delay in the effects loop of your amp? I was never able to put a delay into the front of the amp and then use the amp's distortion without it sounding WAY too mushy & squashed.

I don't play venues (church being an obvious one) where I can crank a non-master volume amp up to distortion. It is just too loud, plus you lose your cleans. Yes, you can turn down the volume on your guitar (but in my opinion) it is not the same as using the cleans from the amp and using great OD pedals.

If everyone at PSP used the "clean amp platform and add OD pedal" the volume would match the drummer and the DBS would be cut by at least a third.

Josh, are you using the delay in the effects loop of your amp? I was never able to put a delay into the front of the amp and then use the amp's distortion without it sounding WAY too mushy & squashed.

Yes, I use any modulation after the preamp if I have an option to. If I'm running a clean amp (such as the Traynor), I use an overdrive pedal before chorus/delay/tremolo/reverb effects....

Archived