Heritage Owners Club

New amp wanted, but which one?

mark555

Looking at the posts here, I can see the difference between UK and US markets. Many of the amps suggested would be expensive and/or difficult to find. I've just had a look on eBay and Mesa combos sell for around £500 at the very least, usually rather more than that.

The amp I used for many years was a Mesa Maverick 1x12*, which would fit Mark's criteria - 35 watts, separate EQ etc. However I've been using a Ceriatone OTS with a 1x12 cab (Celestion G12-65) for the past couple of years if the venue has the space. In more cramped gigs (and there are some pubs where you're squeezed into the corner of the bar) I've used a small combo - a Sundown A36 or Sessionette, and I recently snagged a Peavey Classic 30 which gives me another option. I also have a Seymour Duncan Convertible 2000 which I haven't used for a while... (GAS is a terrible thing.)

Actually Mark, if you fancy popping down to Nottingham to try out some of my amps, get in touch - it may help you get a better idea of what you do or don't want.

*The Maverick developed an interesting problem, where the rhythm channel would suddenly increase in volume. I took it to a couple of local amp techs who failed to sort it, and it's now with a third; hopefully it will be fixed fairly soon. It seems the problem is due to a failure with the optocouplers in the switching system, so that the lead channel bleeds through into the rhythm channel.

Mark, I don't think you stated why a small vintage amp won't work.

For me, a gigging amp would have to have these attributes:

1) combo amp with 1x12 or 2x10

2) 20-40 watts

3) GREAT cleans (reverb is completely optional)

4) Single channel amp so I can use the clean tone of the amp and hit it with pedals for OD

This is enough power and using pedals simulates a two channel amp, but with more, flexible OD tones.

Just go to some stores and try out amps. You will narrow it down quicker and more definitely.

Trial them at the volume you are going to use them at. Try big watt and small watt amps. Try lifting them to get a sense of weight. Try amps way over and way under your budget. Try heads and cabs and try combos. Try combos with cabs.

I go through this sort of thread at least once a day in real time. People convinced they need this or that because some guy's on the internet said.

I sit them in a semicircle of amps, give them a guitar and let them figure it out for them selves. Hours of internet research made redundant in a few moments.

Mesa amps start at around £500 used and even used ones sell for £1500+ depending on the model. Retailers won't stock the expensive amps because they don't sell in high enough numbers for people to buy them. How ironic there are people who will spend £3000+ on a guitar but still buy cheap amps!

I am a convert to Victoria Amps after hearing a few at a friends house. The friend is an absolute tone freak, and knows more about vintage Fender amps than anyone I've ever met, and he's a monster amp tech who brought my vintage Deluxe Reverb back to life.

Long story short, I absolutely love my Victoria Regal II. They are expensive, but built to withstand anything short of nuclear war, sound GREAT, and worth every penny. And they can totally change character/power with tube changes! How good are they? I prefer mine to my 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb!

http://www.victoriaamp.com/amplifiers-2/

Try the Egnater Rebel 30 combo or the head and cab. Really nice and not pricey. You can mix the tubes and get some great sounds.

make a weekend of it. drive down to Anderton's (Surrey) with yr favorite guitar, then next day up to Peach Guitars (Essex) on your way back. that'll help you home in on a sound you like. they have some decent looking used amps, too

I prefer amps that get dirty at low volumes, then use a larger cabinet to get the audible volume I'm looking for. A roll back on the guitar volume allows me to clean up what I'm playing. Then if I want a really saturated tone, I'll use an overdrive cranked up on the gain, but volume set lower to get the sustain and harmonics I'm looking for. Currenlty, I rather enjoy my Jet City 22H with matching 2x12 cab.

Archived