Heritage Owners Club

New amp wanted, but which one?

mark555

I am in a bit of an impass here. I feel the need for a new amp because the Fender Hot Rod is not meeting the needs I have with the band I am playing in. I bought the amp at least ten years ago when it was for sale at the right money and was in excellent condition and a real bargain to boot.

However, I have decided to get a new amp, but I am not too sure what to buy. As I am going to gig it and make it work, a small vintage style amp will not do it.

What I don't like about the Fender is that all the power seems to come on from 0 to 4, and it is hard to get a good sound and volume balance when going to the over drive channel.

So, I am wanting something about 30 watts, but with plenty of punch, I want an easy switch between clean and overdrive and a separate eq for each channel.

I am thinking about looking at Mesa amps, and because of cost implications I would have to buy used. I have also thought about Hughes and Kettner and Engle, if any of you have any suggestions they would be most welcome.

Know what u mean on the vol "on/off" on the hot rods. There are probably some good 2 channel amps out there. I like fender deluxe reverb circuit for a nice clean with a pedal in front for the drive 'channel'.

What I don't like about the Fender is that all the power seems to come on from 0 to 4, and it is hard to get a good sound and volume balance when going to the over drive channel.

So, I am wanting something about 30 watts, but with plenty of punch, I want an easy switch between clean and overdrive and a separate eq for each channel.

Thought about re-tubing, replacing pots with a more gradual taper, putting pedals in front of the non-drive channel? I had a Hot Rod Deville...for about two weeks. Some higher quality, lower gain tubes and replacement volume pots helped. Useable, but I still didn't like it though. Check this out:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?246999-Two-Simple-Changes-That-Made-My-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-III-A-Lot-Better!

There may be some low cost mods available for your Hot Rod. Amazing what a few tweaks can do.

After doing my share of solder time with pcb amps, I'd say in general to try and get something point to point.

I havent heard this live yet bet Soldono is that west coast brown sound that put some of the most popular bands back in the day on the map. Quality is very high with cleans that are great. The amp gives you two options for dirt. It can be used as a high gain amp such as VanHalens sound, or run it clean with pedals to add the boost. As always , cost is always a factor with these types of amps but it does deliver the sound and tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=syXQ3r7b6nc

If your looking for that British Invasion sound the company "Union Jack" has that thick clean sound but also the massive overdriven sound of old school Marshals of yester year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoaXlBGcR8&list=UU2K9wYiWo2SqJ6NklVJL1sA&feature=player_embedded

I hope the sites comeup. I'm new at this and dont know the proper way of delivering the vids?

The NorthWest has some world class amp, build and design guys as well as lutheriors and guitar builders. Just thought I'd add them to the mix!

My first thought is how handy are you with a soldering iron. Webber makes some great kits that would get you where you want to go and not kill the wallet.

Second is maybe a used THD bivalve, can be had for around 600.00

Or a used fargen blackbird.

I would get the volume pot mod done and see if that helps the amp meet your needs. Maybe try a Celestion speaker in it as well.

Do you like the Mesa sound? Thats a big consideration. Some people like the idea of the multi channel Mesa's and find after they spend the ka ching they dont like the sound and then do tube swaps and speaker changes and various mods only to find it still sounds like a Mesa. Not a problem for me at all btw.

Egnaters are cool sounding amps but with a bit of a bad internet track record of break downs.

Both the Engle and Hughes and Ketner have those dry German mids, which means nothing until you hear it. It can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. Koch can be fun amps but have the same dry mids. I was surprised as well.

Are you going to use stomps or do you just want to use the amps od?

Lance's post is awesome. Some better than semi decent quality.. easy, quick and practical fixes there, nice. My take...Don't polish a turd. Hang on to it and use it the way it is, while you are looking for something new. Take your time and stay away from the big chain retailers on this one. Look for an effects loop, 30-50 watt amps are fine, really good amps can be had that sound great at small house to big house volumes for a lot less than you think. The boutique amp market on ebay has been over saturated for a long time, it's easy to go a few hundred more than what it costs to get a modern Chinese PCB Fender and get something more than decent. Head and cab is the best way to go from the standpoint of crafting signature tones and tube reliability. Most recent snag was a 50 watt Dumble clone, circuit #102, Robben Ford's original 100 watt 102 is his first Dumble, it's worth easily over 50 grand, I got my 50 watter copy, delivered, for eleven fifty. Now how much is that HRD new? 100-300 bucks less?

What sounds are the artists using that you enjoy the most? Fender style? Marshall? Heavy metal Kranked? Mesa? Dumble Clone, my personal fave? What kind of speakers sound the way you like?

Look for a simple interrupt effects loop at least, your tones will thank you. In amp reverb is not necessary.

Personally, a Ceriatone Lunchbox with some 5881's will put you in 30 watt land, with the footswitch you get clean and dirty, with a preamp boost available for what sounds and acts like a 4 channel amp. The iron and build are heads above any other lunch box out there, the circuit is an adaptation of Howard Alexander Dumble's #124, the amp that was purchased for around 50 grand and then dissected to find out what was under the goop hiding the guts of the preamp from view. From that one amp an online amplifier building community sprang that continues on today, the cream of the crop of amp builders maintain and share precious information there. Short version is that the tones available are staggeringly good in both versatility and quality of sound. Folks pair them with a 1/12 or yank the chassis and put them in a custom cab with EVM 12l. The tones kill ANY Chinese so called "Fender." The presence knob provides all the OD tone control you need, most guitars have tone pots too.

It's a bit different over here in England because we don't get access to all the stuff you get in the States, my previous amps include an original AC30, Marshall Plexiglass head, (those were in the seventies when you could pick them up for a song) Fender red knob twin - Never again and a Marshall high gain valve combo, I think it was the 800 series.

I have only heard Mesa amps twice, once in a pub, the guitar was a PRS , sounded fine for what the player was doing and the other time was British guitarist Hank Marvin playing a strat through it and the sound was incredibly pure.

I hadn't thought of all the mods that could be done, there's nothing wrong with the amp as such, I am just not happy with how I am having to work it, if that makes sense. On the whole, in the UK Marshall is the big brand, along with Fender, you need a hefty wage packet to afford some of the special stuff, Mesa is considered expensive, and few players are using Soldano and anything more expensive.

Even though I am governed by a strict budget, I will do without before I buy a chinese pcb product. I am going to have a look at all the links, so thanks every one for taking time to reply.

Right now my two favorite amps are the Mesa Lone Star Classic (for the 6L6 warm sound) and a PRS SE50 for the Plexi thing (EL34's).

Being in England does create a unique quandary for you. However, since you mentioned you are considering buying used, wouldn't the market have some of the tasty amps mentioned in this thread?

You mentioned Mesa Boogie as a possibility. Are used Mesa's available? If so, that would open up a ton of options for you as far as a multichannel, gig worthy amp goes. I've gigged for years with a Mark IV, but it is a load on my aging back. Earlier this year I scored a used Mesa Studio Caliber 22. They run around $500 in the US, and there are a few other older Boogies out there with channel switching and big voices without the weight of the higher end models.

The other unknown to us 'Yanks' is what is your price range (adjusted for your country)?

You mentioned Mesa Boogie as a possibility. Are used Mesa's available? If so, that would open up a ton of options for you as far as a multichannel, gig worthy amp goes. I've gigged for years with a Mark IV, but it is a load on my aging back. Earlier this year I scored a used Mesa Studio Caliber 22. They run around $500 in the US, and there are a few other older Boogies out there with channel switching and big voices without the weight of the higher end models.

I too picked up a Boogie .22 for 5 bones. Versatile portable and powerful. On his side of the pond a great option for sure. Good Luck with the search./

My very humble opinion: boogie mark v will do anything you ask it to do in the most excellent way and then some. I feel I am a better player when I play through it, if that says something. It is heavy though, especially as a combo.

I also had great experience with a mesa single rectifier which is very affordable in the used market. If weight is an issue you might want to take a look at the 5:25 express.

I'm a big fan of Egnater Tweakers for versatility (I'd be only a little concerned about reliability, the internet is a gathering place for complainers and ne'er-do-wells), and I hear good things about Ceriatone as well.

I've had a few Mesa Expresses, and could never fall in love. They were good amps, but just didn't do it for me. OTOH, I have heard a lot of good things about the Lonestars. I think Mesa will probably be really pricey across the pond, though, and there a lot of great options out there, so take your time and enjoy the journey.

... Most recent snag was a 50 watt Dumble clone, circuit #102, Robben Ford's original 100 watt 102 is his first Dumble, it's worth easily over 50 grand, I got my 50 watter copy, delivered, for eleven fifty. Now how much is that HRD new? 100-300 bucks less?

What sounds are the artists using that you enjoy the most? Fender style? Marshall? Heavy metal Kranked? Mesa? Dumble Clone, my personal fave? What kind of speakers sound the way you like?

Look for a simple interrupt effects loop at least, your tones will thank you. In amp reverb is not necessary.

Personally, a Ceriatone Lunchbox with some 5881's will put you in 30 watt land, with the footswitch you get clean and dirty, with a preamp boost available for what sounds and acts like a 4 channel amp. The iron and build are heads above any other lunch box out there, the circuit is an adaptation of Howard Alexander Dumble's #124, the amp that was purchased for around 50 grand and then dissected to find out what was under the goop hiding the guts of the preamp from view. From that one amp an online amplifier building community sprang that continues on today, the cream of the crop of amp builders maintain and share precious information there. Short version is that the tones available are staggeringly good in both versatility and quality of sound. Folks pair them with a 1/12 or yank the chassis and put them in a custom cab with EVM 12l. The tones kill ANY Chinese so called "Fender." The presence knob provides all the OD tone control you need, most guitars have tone pots too.

I have always wanted to try out a Ceriatone but I've never seen one locally. All the "dumble" hype facinates me. Other than listening to recordings of a Dumble type amp, I have no clue how it would really sound, live with my guitar plugged in.

Perhaps someday I'll come across one.

I have always wanted to try a dumble style amp as well

A Mad Professor amp or just one of their Simble pedals may get you close to the Dumble. Not sure what a Mad Professor costs in the UK, but they are made in Europe. Not sure what price range you are in.

http://www.mpamp.com

Archived