Heritage Owners Club

How many of us have found a magic Heritage?

AP515

I dunno if I have a "magic" guitar, but I do think I have some damn fine instruments. And most of the them are Heritage!

I revel in the sonic differences of different guitars.....how the differing designs affect the way I think, play, interact, inspire...aspire

people talk about "dog" guitars, but I don't think I've ever played one. I have yet to find an instrument that did not have a useable sound

well...except for that red P90 thing Yoslate had at PSP :D

Thirty seconds...no kidding...thirty seconds, and I knew I'd own it.

Exact same experience for me with my H150.

opened the case, strummed a couple of chords, played a few licks, put it back in the case. I didnt even plug it in. It never made it on to the wall for sale.

As for me, the magic is measured in a very subjective measurement that I call my smile factor. If a guitar makes me smile, it's a winner.

Best indicator in the world.

The 59's have a more powerful edge to them where the Seth's are more creamy (if that describes it), but that bloom was there for both.

Thanks for the report. Looks like you found your #1.

I guess I should clarify "good wood". Good/great wood doesn't have to be hand harvested Mahogny or 50 year air dryed wood.

ANY species of wood can be a GREAT tone wood if it is the right piece of wood from that species.

Bob Taylor built a guitar out of wood from the crates (skiffs). If that wood was resonate, dry, loud, and sustains..... Then guess what??? It is GREAT wood.

and then you have to microphonic pickups to "hear" the wood!!!

I was just referring to the wooden chassis, without a great chassis no pickups will make the guitar sound great.

With a great wooden chassis, I agree different "microphones" (to use Terry McInturff's term) or pickups can be chooses to maximize the wooden voice.

Well, it's not the Seth's. They add more mojo for sure, but I swapped the 59's in and the Seth's out. The tone was different, but still had that signature beauty that I found when I strung it up the first time. The 59's have a more powerful edge to them where the Seth's are more creamy (if that describes it), but that bloom was there for both. I agree that the wood is part of the mystery, but do you believe that the guitar that was made out of the 2 feet of plank right after (or before) this one was another magic guitar? I suspect it is more than that.

I bought a Tusq nut and new strings. I'll put it together for the final time tomorrow. The Seth's are going in with the new nut and strings. Then she's a keeper for sure. I actually prefer the neck shape on the other one, but with tone like this I'll be happy.

Thus my point that the "wooden" signature tone will only change slightly based on a pickup change. I am not saying not to experiment with pickups, I will quote Terry McInturff again..... Pickups are like your favorite mics.... Some are mid heavy, some scooped, some more low end, but at the end of the day it is still YOUR VOICE singing.

Well, it's not the Seth's. They add more mojo for sure, but I swapped the 59's in and the Seth's out. The tone was different, but still had that signature beauty that I found when I strung it up the first time. The 59's have a more powerful edge to them where the Seth's are more creamy (if that describes it), but that bloom was there for both. I agree that the wood is part of the mystery, but do you believe that the guitar that was made out of the 2 feet of plank right after (or before) this one was another magic guitar? I suspect it is more than that.

I bought a Tusq nut and new strings. I'll put it together for the final time tomorrow. The Seth's are going in with the new nut and strings. Then she's a keeper for sure. I actually prefer the neck shape on the other one, but with tone like this I'll be happy.

Thanks for comparing the Seth Lovers with the 59-ers in the same H150! I was seriously considering to do the same, but reading the above, I think I'm gonna leave the 59-ers in. Although a tad bass heavy in the neck position, I'll try first to solve this changing the pick-up height. If that doesn't solve it to my satisfaction, I might get a pair of Seth Lovers or Antiquity's. Anyone recommend either one of these for a good reason? Thanks!

Cheers,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that the OP swapped out a Schaller Bridge for a Tonepros and noticed no change. Lately I've been looking at the Schaller bridge on my 157 and have been playing with the idea of trying a Tonepros on it. Thanks to the op for saving me the trouble.

I find it interesting that the OP swapped out a Schaller Bridge for a Tonepros and noticed no change. Lately I've been looking at the Schaller bridge on my 157 and have been playing with the idea of trying a Tonepros on it. Thanks to the op for saving me the trouble.

You're welcome.

I'm a TonePros guy. I tried one a few years ago and thought it helped the sustain so I started drinking the Kool-Aid. I think in this case it was more about the overall sound and whether the hardware changes made the guitar lose that magic tone. It didn't. Now did the two bridges sound exactly the same? Hard to say. If there was a change it was miniscule in comparison to the overall tone I was listening too.

I should also say that the TonePros I had is USED. Whoever had this thing before me cut multiple grooves into the saddles. I can't say it was giving me a 100% true response. I still like TonePros and will probably stay with them but I was also surprised that I didn't get a noticeable difference in this case.

I greatly prefer Faber Tonelock bridges over Schaller, Nashville, Goto, Callaham, and Resomatic. I went from a Gibson Historic ABR-1 to Callaham ABR-1 to Tonepro ABR-II to the Faber ABR-1 Tonelock. The Faber was BY FAR the best. Much more sustain and classic Burst tone from true quality metal that Faber (German engineered) verses the pot metal that Tonepros uses.

It's not pixie dust to me because I installed them all on the same guitar and heard the differences.

In my life, I've had the fortune and misfortune of spending considerable amounts of time with a handful of world class guitarists while they recorded their craft within a studio environment.

Honestly, I can not recall a single instance of a player, producer or guitar tech himming OR hawwing over the amount of sustain his (or her) chosen hardware on a particular guitar is or is not allowing. Never once.

I think it's just like anything else in life......a man (or woman) will hear exactly what he wants to hear.

Sustain is one of those guitar forum talking points that we love to chatter about. Santana and Hendrix used sustain a lot during their heyday, and with beautiful results. Plus that was during a time when playing at full volume in stadiums allowed for it.

Nowadays, many of us use compressors or overdrive pedals to get that effect. When a guitar exhibits a bit of natural sustain, it's cool, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if one had more or less of it.

Back on topic...Magic in any guitar is so subjective. Its fun to talk about it around this pickle barrel we call the HOC, but that's what it is...fun stuff. I'd bet fans of any given guitar maker will claim to have found magic in one, some or all of their brand's products...and that's cool too.

In my life, I've had the fortune and misfortune of spending considerable amounts of time with a handful of world class guitarists while they recorded their craft within a studio environment.

Honestly, I can not recall a single instance of a player, producer or guitar tech himming OR hawwing over the amount of sustain his (or her) chosen hardware on a particular guitar is or is not allowing. Never once.

I think it's just like anything else in life......a man (or woman) will hear exactly what he wants to hear.

Not if the man installed 4 different bridges on the same guitar and did heard a noticeable difference.......

Also Seymour Duncan did a scientific test that proved the Nashville bridge sustained longer (I believe it was like 19% longer) than a Schaller bridge. I do get that some styles of music (quick jazz players) don't want a lot of sustain, but most of us want sustain and not guitars that are dead or choke out. This was told to me and others by Jay Wolfe and the reason he started ordering his guitars with Nashville over Schaller bridges.

Not if the man installed 4 different bridges on the same guitar and did heard a noticeable difference.......

Also Seymour Duncan did a scientific test that proved the Nashville bridge sustained longer (I believe it was like 19% longer) than a Schaller bridge. I do get that some styles of music (quick jazz players) don't want a lot of sustain, but most of us want sustain and not guitars that are dead or choke out. This was told to me and others by Jay Wolfe and the reason he started ordering his guitars with Nashville over Schaller bridges.

:icon_thumleft: 4 bridges on one guitar sounds too complex for me. You win.

:icon_thumleft: 4 bridges on one guitar sounds too complex for me. You win.

The bridge saddles were cut all wrong (not a Heritage guitar a different maker, then a bad tech I won't use again) so I had to replace it anyhow. I had 3 different bridges laying around so I only bought one new one. My thoughts are if we try to pick out the right pickups to amplify the tone of the guitar, why not match the guitar with the right hardware to be amplified.

My avatar H140 Custom is the magic Heritage for me. It plays and sounds creamy. I have only one other guitar that is close, my 72 Strat.

Archived