Heritage Owners Club

Low Watt Tube Amp

Yooper

+1 on the Blues Junior. I bought one used for $300 and have used it for many a show.

I would recommend a speaker and tube upgrade as it can be a little harsh sounding stock when overdriving the preamp section, especially with the Jensen speaker.

Add an Eminence Speaker and some JJ Tubes and you have a great lightweight gigging rig.

- I did the Bill M Upgrades and added Tilt-Back legs, both seriously took the amp to the next level..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Eminence Texas Heat in mine, and JJs. Upgraded iron, presence knob, other usual mods. People who underestimate these amps do so at their own detriment. However, like I said before, I have more $ in it than I could ever get out of it, now, but that's OK; it's not going anywhere until I croak.

Yep, I did Trannies, Presence, Three-way Switch (Standby), Reverb Tank, usual mods and a Eminence Red Coat.

I had a Cannabis Rex in there but it was too dark after it got broken in.

Sounds great by itself and is a beast with pedals!

I've been really happy with my Peavey Classic 30. I typically just use the clean channel and hit it with a pedal or three, but the dirt channel has some nice drive to it as well. Just not as nice as my Traindrive pedal. ;-)

You can find them sub $400 all day long. Plus they are rock solid, and can be improved with some simple mods if you want too, although mine is stock and sounds great.

The dirt channel is a gain/vol set up so you can get some nice pre-amp drive at home levels, and it's loud enough to gig with. I gigged mine in an airport hangar last night and didn't have any problems, although we were playing kind of quietly (some people...jeesh).

I've been really happy with my Peavey Classic 30. I typically just use the clean channel and hit it with a pedal or three, but the dirt channel has some nice drive to it as well. Just not as nice as my Traindrive pedal. ;-)

You can find them sub $400 all day long. Plus they are rock solid, and can be improved with some simple mods if you want too, although mine is stock and sounds great.

The dirt channel is a gain/vol set up so you can get some nice pre-amp drive at home levels, and it's loud enough to gig with. I gigged mine in an airport hangar last night and didn't have any problems, although we were playing kind of quietly (some people...jeesh).

I too give a big nod to the Classic line.

Another option not listed is the Peavey Microhead amp line. I personally have the Valveking MH 20 and its awesome. All tube, two channels, effects loop, reverb, master volume. Headphone out, mic' out, USB out, aux in, 4,8, 16 ohm. 5, 10, 20 watt switchable....

If I was buying another one brand new I'd look into the Classic 20 MH myself.

Oh, brand new its $499.....

Speaking from having had the experience of talking to sales staff and big and small music stores and technicians about amps as well as buying a barely operating small amp and rebuilding it step by step, I can say that my playing itself improved much more after taking the time to learn about how to get that thing going, and then tweaking it over a period of three years to get it to the baby tone monster it is now.

When you build your own amp, the amp teaches your fingers how to make it (as well as your guitar) to sound good.

So take a few minutes of your HOC online time and spend it looking at a layout of a low watt tube amp and ask yourself, "Can I build from a picture like I used to color crayons by what was on the picture template as a child? I think so!

My rebuild came from using a printed out copy of the Ceriatone BF Champ layout for example.

You don't need theory as much as the ability to follow instructions and taking adequate precautions against getting shocked, cut or burned during the build process.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I know why Clapton used these little guys on Layla.

Here it is:

5F1 Tweed Champ in Champion 600 Cabinet - $350

00707_g9iRJYihKLw_600x450.jpg

Now I know why Clapton used these little guys on Layla.

Here it is:

5F1 Tweed Champ in Champion 600 Cabinet - $350

00707_g9iRJYihKLw_600x450.jpg

Wow! That is so freaking sweet looking!

Congratulations! So did the 5F1 if it in the Champ cabinet without any modifications? This is very cool. I wasn't ever blown away by the Champion 600 as it sat, sounded like a transistor radio to me, but I'm sure it's a whole different beast with the difference chassis. As Josh stated, I hope you can add a speaker cabinet. Enjoy!

It's a snug little package. I doubt if there's room for an output jack. I may "re-home" with a larger speaker in a bigger cab.

What a screamer for such a runt of an amp.

I'm a tweed Champ guy for low wattage amps. In fact, it's been the only amp I've played in months!

I'm kinda curious about some of the Vox amps though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Plugged the 5F1 into a 12" speaker and hit the opening notes and chords of Layla. Wow.

Time to get this puppy a bigger doghouse.

You'll even be happier after you swap out the 4 ohm output transformer for one with 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps...Not spendy, easy to try, and reversible...coupla screws and a few solder joints. Wait until you've heard a Champ drive a 16 ohm 2/15 or 2/12. The small parts count makes for a nice sound if the right parts, tubes, and layour are in the build. That really simple design will respond hugely to a much beefier output transformer upgrade.

it could be argued that the Champ is the standard/originator/grandaddy of practice amps. Everything else is a wanna be. And it wasn't just Clapton, there were 2 champs, mic'd on top of a grand piano, turned up to 12, that were used on the recording of Layla. The other amp was being played through by some dude with a Les Paul....Allman, or something.

My everyday go to is a 5F1 110. I've had several pro's play humbuckers through it and offer me cash on the spot, there is just something about it. It has a wonderful creamy crunchy earthy tone right at 7. Didn't think to suggest it as it seemed you were gong in a different direction. Mine was built by hand, one solder joint at a time, by our own DuhVooDooMan.

Champlifier_top_angled.jpg

Champlifier_back_open_800.jpg

If I were to go snag a low watt tube... I would likely give the Vox AC4 a shot. ...only because I still so very badly want a Vox to work for me. haha. Back when I was playing more rockish tunes, I loved my Vox. But as I got into jazzier and blusier pursuits... it just didn't hold up anymore. Sad really. BUT... then I got the Cube and I adored the Cube's take on the AC. Unfortunately, it is not very Voxy. haha. So... getting that sort of tone out of an actual Vox AC doesn't seem to want to happen. I did, however, hear a demo of the Vox AC4TV that was promising. :)

All this talk about Champ goodness is music to my ears...or eyes...or whatever!

This is my current favorite Champ rig, especially since installing some new JJ 12AX7-S Gold Pin tubes.

18 watts of clean or dirt, depending on how far the Master Volume is cranked, or Midrange pot engaged. Champus Delicious!!

chz7yj.jpg

My quest for an external speaker cab has begun. The 6" speaker is cool for practice, but this guy needs to jam with others.

Still not sure between a 10" or 12" speaker. I really liked the 12 I plugged into, so I should try a 10 for comparison. Then I may ask, "How about TWO 10's?" Probably keep to a single for portability.

Anyway I go, it will be great fun and cool sounds.

I can't believe it's taken this long for me to find the sweet world of 5F1 tone.

As much as I love my Boogies and Deluxe Reverb and even Cube 60, I have a feeling the little puppy with the big bark will be used as much as any two of the others.

Whodathunk one knob could dial in such magic?

I had a Victoria 5112 (same circuit & wattage), had a 12" Jensen Alnico 12" speaker in it. That thing was soooo freaking loud!!! Unfortunately, I wound up moving it due to the fact that I didn't need that much volume. Loved the sound though, with a Tele it was pure bliss!

Archived