Heritage Owners Club

Lunch-Tone Report: Rolands, and Mesas and Voxes. OH MY!

Every now and again, I wander out to some stores to try out a few things. I normally hit three stores: Ken Stanton (local chain), Guitar Center and Sam Ash. I hit those because I can generally try out some gear with little fuss.

Anyways, I only played gear at Ken Stanton today. Sam Ash only had one amp I would have been interested in playing but it was being held for someone. Guitar Center... that place is but a shell of what it was 20 years ago... but that is another thread.

On to the reviews:

All amps were tested with an Ibanez AF155 with only the neck pickup on.

Roland Blues Cube Stage 60: This was the biggest let down of the bunch. Not because it sounded bad... but because it wasn't what I wanted it to be. haha. It is passable in a pinch for jazzier tones but it sounded... bluesy. haha. I know... that's the amp's name and all... but I just couldn't seem to dial out that bluesy edge to it. All in all, it handled a slight overdrive MUCH better than my beloved Cube 80x. After about 10 minutes, I moved on.

Next I plugged into the Mesa Express 5:25 Plus. I once owned the Express (non-Plus) 5:50 and I had a similar issue dialing the bluesiness out of it. This amp, however, MUCH better. The graphic EQ made all the difference in the world. A little frowny face action on the sliders and it was a very nice and clear sound. Definitely worth a listen.

Next, I moved on to the Vox amps. I hadn't had much luck getting a tone that I liked for jazz out of Vox amps but there was the AC4TV in there that I wanted to give a go.

Vox AC4TV: 4 watt amp with just a volume and tone. You can also cut the power output. Honestly... a very nice and warm tone. Not WONDERFUL.... but nice for around the house I'd reckon.

Vox AC10C1: this was probably the biggest surprise of the bunch. It is one chanell with just gain, bass, treble, volume and reverb controls. I dumped the reverb, bass and treble completely and started to edge the bass/treble up to taste. Then the gain where there was an EVER so slight saturation but everything still chiming in very clear. It still seemed a bit naked so I nudged the reverb up to help with the dryness. Just a touch. Anyways... after 20 minutes with this... I could see taking this guy home. 27 lbs and and roughly $400-$450 depending on where you buy it... it really sounded nice. If you are playing with a drummer however, I can see this not working so great while trying to keep the tone pretty clean.

Vox AC15C1: this is the single 12 iteration of this amp. I was able to get a very nice tone from the Top-Boost channel. The trick with the Vox is to max the Tone Cut control (all the way clockwise) to get a nice dark tone... and then nudge the bass and treble up to suit. It was very nice. A bit more kick power-wise... but, coming in at almost 50 lbs... yeesh.

Vox AC30C2: much like the AC15C1 but LOUDER... and BIGGER... and HEAVIER... and no. But I did get a very nice sound out of it.

If I were to pick a winner of that bunch... I am a little torn.

The Mesa I would say had the nicest sound... but for me the weight (45lbs) and the NASA control panel (even though I am very at home with it). I just prefer something much more simple even with a slight compromise on tone. I do mean slight.

The Vox AC15C1 I really dug the tone from and appreciated the simplicity. There was an EVERY so slight bit of mush compared to the Mesa but that wasn't a bad thing. It sounded very pleasant. The only real negative for me was the weight.

The Vox AC10C1 might have somehow eeked in at my overall favorite. I liked the compact size. I liked the VERY simple layout. I liked the weight. I really liked the tone. The only potential negative was the volume level while staying clean. It got pretty loud for an at-home amp so I could see it doing well for intimate gigs.

Now I'm operating under the premise that you're seeking smoother jazz tones right? I'm actually looking into the Blues Cube Stage (just can't find any to try). From what you've reported, seems like that might be what I'm looking for. I really only do Blues and Classic rock sounds (very poorly I might add). The 10w VOX sounds promising as well. I too am turned of by the 10,000 knobed Mesa amps. Thanks for the reviews!

One of these days i hope pick up aVox AC4 TV. I agree really nice tone, always thought it was one of the better amps for home use/lower volumes. But I tend to think it's a bit limited as far as tonal variety.

definitely limited but if it happens to do what you want, then bingo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely jazzier tones. However, if it were me, I'd look at the Vox AC15 if rock or blues was in my more my style. Heavier but man it'll knock you down!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Those AC15s' are nice amps. However, for me, the lightweight and ability to get acceptable tone at library volumes is why I'm leaning towards the Roland. I had a CUBE 40gx but it was a bit compressed sounding to me. Great for jazz though!

Those AC15s' are nice amps. However, for me, the lightweight and ability to get acceptable tone at library volumes is why I'm leaning towards the Roland. I had a CUBE 40gx but it was a bit compressed sounding to me. Great for jazz though!

Man! You must pay some loud library gigs! It sounds like the Blues Cube might be right up their alley then. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out a roland jazz chorus if you want a fat clean and warm tone. No tubes at all, and surprisingly awesome. Also, for a decent price, you can a sweet boutique combo. I picked up a bad cat classic cat for 650, and it serves up delicious cleans and warm mild overdrive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Check out a roland jazz chorus if you want a fat clean and warm tone. No tubes at all, and surprisingly awesome. Also, for a decent price, you can a sweet boutique combo. I picked up a bad cat classic cat for 650, and it serves up delicious cleans and warm mild overdrive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh, yes. I have a somewhat lengthy history with JC amps. :) I sold my last one in favor of my Cube 80. I am somewhat interested in hearing the new JC40 when it comes out. :)

If you can find one on the floor of your favorite stores (they tend to fly out the front door pretty fast), you owe it to yourself to try the Mesa Mark Five:25 head, the EL84-based "baby brother" to the big Mark V. Quite the little tone monster, and features out the wazoo. Check it out: http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/mark-five-25/index.html

If you can find one on the floor of your favorite stores (they tend to fly out the front door pretty fast), you owe it to yourself to try the Mesa Mark Five:25 head, the EL84-based "baby brother" to the big Mark V. Quite the little tone monster, and features out the wazoo. Check it out: http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/mark-five-25/index.html

Did you get yours? A tweaker's dream, I'm sure.

The 5:25 has been a blast, too. Turns out I like the 5 watt class A setting the best. Wonderful feature that I don't see on any other models.

That, along with my 5F1, has put me in the low watt sweet spot I've been seeking.

I still have my DC-5 for the Bigger Boogie sound. I hope it doesn't get too lonely over in the corner. It wants a loud drummer.

Definitely has tone for days... but it leaves a few important check boxes unchecked.

I am typically out looking for combos with simple layouts and I all I care about is the clean or MAYBE a slight saturation. This only comes in head and Mesa layouts are far from simple. haha. Killer, killer tone though. If they made this in a combo, I would have been more apt to look at it. :)

The graphic EQ really is what makes a Mesaboogie what it is. That V shape is THE mesa sound profile. On the Mark V they even have an EQ choice of manually setting the sliders, or a preset V. With the Rectifier series, I think the entire amp, or at least the lead channels, have that EQ profile.

It's pretty amazing how much it changes the sound. On my DC-5 it's a nice crunchy rock, and then I kick in the EQ, and it's really metal sounding, even without a lot of gain.

Did you get yours? A tweaker's dream, I'm sure.

The 5:25 has been a blast, too. Turns out I like the 5 watt class A setting the best. Wonderful feature that I don't see on any other models.

That, along with my 5F1, has put me in the low watt sweet spot I've been seeking.

I still have my DC-5 for the Bigger Boogie sound. I hope it doesn't get too lonely over in the corner. It wants a loud drummer.

Your 5F1 really has me thinking about one in a 2x10 cabinet...

The graphic EQ really is what makes a Mesaboogie what it is. That V shape is THE mesa sound profile. On the Mark V they even have an EQ choice of manually setting the sliders, or a preset V. With the Rectifier series, I think the entire amp, or at least the lead channels, have that EQ profile.

It's pretty amazing how much it changes the sound. On my DC-5 it's a nice crunchy rock, and then I kick in the EQ, and it's really metal sounding, even without a lot of gain.

Yeah. The sliders made all the difference on the Express. Had my Express had these, I might still have it. Without it... it just wasn't right. It was ok for jazzier tones... but not great. At least not for what I was after. The Mark V will do it for sure. Man... if they had a one channel with a gain, sliders (the more the merrier), volume (maybe reverb) in a combo... I'd be all over it.

Another cool use of Mesa EQ sliders is for a clean boost for solos. Since the EQ can be activated via the footswitch on certain models (mine is a Mk IV), I set the basic tones via the knobs. The EQ is set a few Db higher, but in a straight line (i.e. flat frequency). It really kicks in nicely without changing a thing on the amp...and eliminates the need for a clean boost pedal.

I also use the second channel for a slightly dirty solo boost. Ch. 3 is for max crunch solos. Perfect for quiet jazz at the dinner hour! :icon_spiderman:

"On my DC-5 it's a nice crunchy rock, and then I kick in the EQ, and it's really metal sounding, even without a lot of gain."

And:

"Another cool use of Mesa EQ sliders is for a clean boost for solos."

I use my DC-5's EQ as a clean boost too.

Yeah. The sliders made all the difference on the Express. Had my Express had these, I might still have it. Without it... it just wasn't right. It was ok for jazzier tones... but not great. At least not for what I was after. The Mark V will do it for sure. Man... if they had a one channel with a gain, sliders (the more the merrier), volume (maybe reverb) in a combo... I'd be all over it.

Both the 22 caliber and 50 caliber were single channel, with EQ. The DC in DC-5 means "dual caliber". They were basically a 22 and 50 cal put together, with completely independent channels.

Both the 22 caliber and 50 caliber were single channel, with EQ. The DC in DC-5 means "dual caliber". They were basically a 22 and 50 cal put together, with completely independent channels.

I will definitely check out the 22 as soon as the funds come back from my custom build. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived