Heritage Owners Club

throbak PAF's get two thumbs up!!!

bolero

Very interesting thread, but there's a lot more first hand information on ThroBak's website. 

I wonder why Heritage didn't just keep the original 'Slug 101' PAF winder and make their own pickups rather than a modified Schaller for their HRW's?

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_ele...ak-vintage.html

slug_101_back.jpg

I wonder why Heritage didn't just keep the original 'Slug 101' PAF winder and make their own pickups rather than a modified Schaller for their HRW's?

I am absolutely, 100% positive that there was an executive meeting of the Board of Directors where they commissioned a top-down survey of the organization's core competencies and "operating the Slug 101" wasn't one of them. 

hahahahahaha...can you see the owners of Heritage commissioning a "core competency" survey? LOL.

Have had several equipment goals the last few months:  Get the pedal board straightened out and simplified; get the Vibrolux re-tubed and the Webers back in; have the new Epiphone Valve Super modded beyond recognition; get Throbaks for the 150.  The Valve Super's nearly finished....  Next up: Throbaks!  Keep this thread going fellas; can't hear enough about those p'ups...and those considered comparable by the seasoned ears on this board!  Thanks, all....

Very interesting thread, but there's a lot more first hand information on ThroBak's website. 

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_ele...ak-vintage.html

slug_101_back.jpg

There are two big reasons Heritage did not make pickups with this winder. First this machine can only wind half of a PAF style pickup. The slug coil half. So Heritage would have needed another machine to do the screw coil. Second this machine is a pain in the ass to operate. It was very frustrating to dial in the traverse guides. Once it was done it was good but man it was no fun. But even when it is adjusted properly it is just not very user friendly when it comes to loading it up with bobbins. Plus it is slow. It runs at half the speed of the Leesona 102 I own and the Leesona is pretty slow compared to modern winding machines.

The man was even playing a 2nd.  Damn Kenny, were doomed.  :) 

Now, let's add the ebony fretboard to the mix.  That will effect the tone as well.  So many variables in each component. 

Throbak will have that PLEK machine someday.  Mark my words......

width=600 height=398http://www.ronwarren.com/hoc08/img_8849_std.jpg[/img]

pardon my ignorance but by "2nd" you mean a factory second or b stock ? ( don't mean to be a dunce )

That would be a factory second, cadenza...big old "2" on the back of the headstock.  Cannot find the flaw....

That would be a factory second, cadenza...big old "2" on the back of the headstock.  Cannot find the flaw....

I have a sharp eye for such things. If you want me to look it over, I will make room in my schedule and even pay the shipping both ways. Let me know.

;D

The man was even playing a 2nd.  Damn Kenny, were doomed.   :) 

Now, let's add the ebony fretboard to the mix.  That will effect the tone as well.  So many variables in each component. 

Throbak will have that PLEK machine someday.  Mark my words......

width=600 height=398http://www.ronwarren.com/hoc08/img_8849_std.jpg[/img]

i love seeing pics from the barn :)

Hah!!  My 576 is a 2nd!

Ahh .. that explains some things. ...........  >:D

Sometimes you've got to wonder what their criteria is for marking it a 2nd. ???

• 3 weeks later...

sorry guys, been out of town for a spell

y'all probably won't like this but I put the throbak's in a Gibson R7 black beauty  >:D

I haven't done an anal retentive comparison but I do know it sounds friggin great!!

the H150CM is going to get the wolfetone legends put back in...right now I transplanted them into a LP studio, the H150 was going to be for sale but I talked some sense into myself  :afro: that thing sounds fantabulous with those pups, so back they go..I had the schallers in it for the sale

fwiw I have lollar imperial's, wolfetone legends, DR V's, SD 59's, SD seth lovers, pearly gates, SD custom custom, alnico pro, WCR darkbursts, crossroads, marshallhead, gibson 57 classic, schallers, and a bunch of other stock pups.....so I'm not just hyperbolizing

I didn't really care for the WCR's, they sounded too modern/bland & didn't have the depth of character these others have....WCR is a cool dude though, I have no beef with him!!

Archived