Heritage Owners Club

What the FU

myoldfriend

ZZ?

Anyone interested in sharing their experience/likes/dislikes regarding fuzz pedals? Been searching for a while - haven't found "the one" yet. A couple of the higher end (vemuram, JAM, AnalogMan..) boxes sound great. I suppose to a certain extent you get what you pay for... Reluctant to fork over that much dough though. You know?

Ah, fuzz pedals. Back in the day, I had an original Fuzz Face (stolen at a gig), a Jordan BossTone (Traded for an Eprom burner) and a Fender Blender (don't have a clue where it went). Of the three, I liked the Jordan the most. The Fender Blender was the strangest, I don't think I ever got a good handle on the sound.

These days, I've got a TS-9 which I like, a Route 66 with compressor, and most recently a clone of the ZenDriven that DuhVoodooMan built. Of the three, the Zen is probably my favorite. I guess technically, these are ODs, not Fuzz. I like a smoother distortion rather than the raspy, in your face sound that comes from the true fuzz tones. I'm not a metal guy.

I've tried a few and there isn't a tone I care for.

Fuzz pedals that sound great on demos vs. a live room seem so different, so maybe it has something to do with recording processes.

Also, I never used one in a band, so that's another point to think about since guitars and amps sound different when mixed with a band.

Lots to think about I suppose

Even more pedals to choose from.

On PGS website, there are over 200 fuzz pedals....

I never can tell the difference between a fuzz effect to an overdrive effect. Back in the '60's I stuck a chrome Vox Distortion Booster into my little Vibro Champ and it was wonderful. Now I couldn' imagine using such an unsofisticated effect!

My favorites these days are #1. original Hermida Zendrive; #2. Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer and #3. RAT Whiteface Reissue.

All sound different, depending on the guitar, but great at doing their own thing.

MyOldFriend, all I can suggest is try as many as you can. Let your ear select the one for you. There are tons of choices these days.

Good hunting!

I've tried to like Fuzz pedals, but have always found them to kill the clarity/definition in my guitars sound. I tend to lean towards overdrive pedals. The TS9 I only like when using single coil pickups.

@myoldfriend: forgot to mention the Big Muff too can be interesting

I too enjoy the Big Muff. They sound great for the heavy handed rhythm stuff but don't do to much for the hey everybody look at me moments.

Fuzz is pretty misunderstood imho.

Its quite a versatile effect and like the ts od's you will hear it in every genre from metal to pop and disco. Sometimes you think you are hearing an od but its fuzz.

A good fuzz reacts well to the guitar volume and can be quite clean through to a washed out creamy warm fuzz or a harsh square wave fuzz.

Sometimes when you are trying to get a sound and your od pedals arent getting you there its generally the fuzz pedal with gain set lower that you might be actually chasing. A fuzz pedal with vol set high and gain set lowish pushing an already just breaking up amp is amongst the bluesiest sounds Ive heard.

Heres Stevie using either a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face or a Diaz Texas Square Face Fuzz. I dont know which, but its fuzz not od. Its just not maxed out stoner fuzz. solo at about 1:50. Only using this as an example of lower gain fuzz. Still quit fuzzy though :)

Pretty much uses the fuzz all they way through here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX5ioDq1m5I

Have to be honest, Im not a fan of all SRV's sounds on the "In Step" album. But I do love his playing all through it.

I think it was Daniel that used to post here who put up some great clips using fuzz. Such a wonderfully bluesy sound.

We send thousands of dollars on a top quality guitar, and another thousand on vintage or boutique tube amplifier in order to attain the best tone possible. Then we send $100 on a box that goes between the two to make it all sound like crap. How F***ed Up are we. :dontknow:

But what if the best tone possible in a situation can only be achieved by making your usual sound turn to crap?

But aside from that, a lot of the classic sounds are fuzz pedals into a cranked amp.

Eric Clapton(cream), David Gilmour (some old band), Keith Richards, Carlos Santana(early) Hendrix, Robby Krieger, Jimmy Page...well y'know them and probably any other iconic rock dude ever, except Angus.

Fuzz is pretty misunderstood imho.

Its quite a versatile effect and like the ts od's you will hear it in every genre from metal to pop and disco. Sometimes you think you are hearing an od but its fuzz.

A good fuzz reacts well to the guitar volume and can be quite clean through to a washed out creamy warm fuzz or a harsh square wave fuzz.

[...]

I agree with this, that's why I linked that demo above, it demonstrates how a Fuzz is versatile if build and used correctly

(I'm not affiliated with VDL pedal builder)

I agree with this, that's why I linked that demo above, it demonstrates how a Fuzz is versatile if build and used correctly

(I'm not affiliated with VDL pedal builder)

Yes, thats a pretty useful demo. I dragged out a couple of fuzz's and goofed around with them after watching it.

ahah well done JeffB :)

I guess all of you know the Effects Database containing a plethora of pedals references/catalog of any kind

there is the FuzzDistDrive dedicated page as the name says

it's a great info resource

other Fuzzes to be mentioned imho, are: the Bozzaround (read: R. Fripp's fuzz) and tone bender JMI and DAM reissue

I could be 'speaking' about this for days :)

a comparison good demo of the JMI that I think helps:

the Buzzaround vintage and reissue comparison:

not cheap pedals though :)

Archived