Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Guitar Inc: 6 month review of new ownership

Polo

"....b. H-157 – Bound polished ebony (change from black plastic)..."

Hmmm... all of our H157's have arrived with bound Maple guard. Guess I missed out on the "plastic" revolution on 157's (Yay!).

Also- they recently did a cool video with Jim D. droning on and on with endless spec details about some of the history of JP's influence on certain Guitar models, etc. Jim says they inlaid a Reg. No. on peghead backs for the 1'st "80" Golden Eagles. Actually Jim- that number is the 1'st 1000. You're welcome Sir.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I would like to see on the new site is a listing of different core custom options. I say "core" options because it seems like Heritage is pretty open to many different requests, .......but just seeing a list of maybe helpful for dealers, too.

I will give my 6 month review on this... You guys might not like this.

Every quote request I make(all special orders) have to go through a review committee for approval. All upgrades are at a premium. The new ownership has incorporated many new matrix's. Their matrix tells them that any deviation from model standard increases build time and man hours dramatically.

The are willing to do some modifications BUT... You will now have to pay handsomely. You cannot find another builder that can do what these guys can do, They know it too. How do you double a guitars cost... Ask for upgrades!

My advise for prospective buyers... Heritage builds guitars in the same manner, using the same techniques, manufacturing processes and machinery as electric guitars that have been produced since the early 1950s at 225 Parsons St. "This is their HERITAGE"... This is what they do best, stick to this concept in your orders and you can not lose!

...any deviation from model standard increases build time and man hours dramatically. The are willing to do some modifications BUT... You will now have to pay handsomely.

Can't fault Heritage for this. If ANYONE is going to "mass produce" guitars, they absolutely MUST have a standard offering of some sort and not deviate from it during the model year. You have to take pennies seriously if you want to make a lot of money. The previous way of making Heritage guitars where EVERY guitar is a custom order, that way translates to Heritage making 4 guitars per week and them going broke.

The good news is that they have a much better business model now. The bad news is that prices are going to be higher (or more consistent with reality) One of the things many of us always liked about Heritage guitars is that they were MUCH cheaper than Gibsons for the same or better build quality. As the future unfolds, even though prices are higher than they were a couple of years ago, I think it will be important to retain that part of their identity (making guitars as good or better than Gibson but for less money). I'm sure that it will be a delicate balance in pricing. Standardizing the model line will make that possible. Instead of Heritage guitars being half the price of a Gibson, maybe now they will be 70% of the price or something like that. Heritage should never try to match Gibson's prices because part of the price of a Gibson is "the name" that one is paying for.

As long as the quality is there, the new higher prices are justified imho. Heck, all this may drive up the used prices as well for the better built guitars that didn't come from the factory with mediocre hardware.

Thanks for the Dealer's Viewpoint, Guy and Jay! Interesting observations.

As a fan of that brand and the people behind it, I'm just happy that the founders were able to find a way to cash out and still keep the brand alive. That Archie and the new team are looking for ways to improve productivity, increase awareness of the brand, and move the company into the 21st century without losing the majority of the charm that makes The Heritage The Heritage is a good thing, IMHO.

Since I receive new Heritage's almost daily from the Zoo, I have a few observations:

* They are financially stabile for the 1'st time....

I like what I've seen, I like the new folks and their focus on quality. Jim seems happy, and the future for the brand looks quite good.

I just might stick around...........and I hope you do too.

thanks, Jay. valued input for us all...

:icon_salut:

Once the new owners get the building all spruced up, the old smoke stack shored up and the visitors center opened up, maybe they'll have a huge grand opening celebration...or at least a media blitz. Get the word out!

That's exactly what Carvin/Kiesel Guitars is doing. (see linky).

http://www.kieselguitars.com/locations/

I specifically remembering them telling us at a PSP when they announced the 110 that it would be a chambered body/weight relieved body with an option being a solid body via custom order.

The are willing to do some modifications BUT... You will now have to pay handsomely. You cannot find another builder that can do what these guys can do, They know it too. How do you double a guitars cost... Ask for upgrades!

This does not bide well for me...

I was aware of their efforts upgrade quality control etc. And a more modern plan to market the brand, exp. website, catalog, facebook presence . But assumed that most of their immediate effort would be the daunting task of moving out of that old building, restoring and planning for bier gardens , restaurants, entertainment venues. I think that they did a great job on the new catalog... and the website. And are posting some interesting stuff on facebook on a regular basis.

The upgrade costs on custom features makes sense, if they are realistic. Most important is to offer models that are stellar from the start , without customizing being essential. There should be a reasonable amount of finish or electronic options. And special editions with desirable custom features that are well priced may fill part of that niche.

But I'm thinking that they may be resistant to making another Centurion headstock in the near future...

DSCF0386.JPG

I was aware of their efforts upgrade quality control etc. And a more modern plan to market the brand, exp. website, catalog, facebook presence . But assumed that most of their immediate effort would be the daunting task of moving out of that old building, restoring and planning for bier gardens , restaurants, entertainment venues. I think that they did a great job on the new catalog... and the website. And are posting some interesting stuff on facebook on a regular basis.

The upgrade costs on custom features makes sense, if they are realistic. Most important is to offer models that are stellar from the start , without customizing being essential. There should be a reasonable amount of finish or electronic options. And special editions with desirable custom features that are well priced may fill part of that niche.

But I'm thinking that they may be resistant to making another Centurion headstock in the near future...

DSCF0386.JPG

Oh that I could get my hands on a Heritage mandolin!...

Gents, Ladies, I have a good instinct for things. The Kalamazoo experience that has brought us all together is over. As is my time in that lovely city, I am afraid. I felt it all weekend. Most keenly when I visited the Henderson farm -the warmth of Steve and Yvonne welcoming into their home... It just ain't the same if they are not a part of it.

I have all confidence that Heritage will grow and continue to make great guitars and I will pull for them to do so but the "mojo" -it is gone. You would be hard pressed to get me back to that factory.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a night and day difference since the new owners.really doing a great job. Lots to update and change from the inside first while promoting Heritage's hand original made guitars. I put in to work in the buffing department .praying they take me. It would be a big change. I live in Racine wi. I would have to move to Kalamazoo.

Very thorough breakdown, I see we are sharing some of the same growing pains!

I would like to add:

-There are 3 main departments 1. Front office, Marketing, Management, Customer service, Operations 2. White wood manufacturing(Building) 3. Finishing side (Building) They have hired a bunch of new employees... I would be very curious to the employee count.

THEY ARE COMMITTED TO QUALITY! (THIS IS FROM A DEALER EMAIL TODAY)

Heritage Guitar - Product Update

To our valued Heritage dealers:

Over the last couple of months, the team at Heritage Guitar has been making some changes and improvements to our product line-up. As these changes occur, we will continue to update you so you’re fully familiar with our guitar designs and can offer your customers the most current information. I’d like to outline three recent updates below:

1. Bone Nut – All guitars (other than custom requests) are now being produced using bone nuts.

2. Nickel Hardware – Any guitar that has previously been built with chrome hardware will now be supplied with all nickel hardware. If your customer prefers chrome, most components can be custom-sourced.

3. Pickguards – The following is our current pickguard offering by model:

a. H-150 – Cream plastic (no changes)

b. H-157 – Bound polished ebony (change from black plastic)

c. All other guitar models that are outfitted with pickguards will receive a polished ebony pickguard in the shape outlined here. All models that previously received bound pickguards will continue to be bound. All carved hollow body can be outfitted with a matching wood pickguard at no additional charge, but please specify on the order.

Please note that all of these improvements are provided at no charge

well in hope I get hired to!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I have discovered recently with the new ownership's change of policy that does not help us.

Custom Order Specs.

I placed an inquiry about a custom spec'd H150.

I asked for a thinner body like a H140 and a fat, chunky neck like a Gibson R7.

However, the neck shaping is now completed using a special jig to improve consistency. Custom neck shapes will be a substantial upcharge.

No idea on the body shape, it may be too costly.

The estimate cost is possibly twice that of a standard H150; I'm still waiting for actual price, the approval process is by committee now.

All the new owners must approve custom orders, not the shop foreman.

I know they have included some standard changes that were upgrades before such as a bone nuts and nickel hardware.

Switching hardware from chrome to nickel is awesome too, wish my 535 was nickel. I know that is also a cost increase they absorbed.

Realistically, they have made it difficult to custom order anything. Be either intentional or inadvertent.

On their defense, I'd assume many of their day to day operations are a struggle to work with given the changes they are making.

My guess is while they still want to produce guitars by hand, they also want to stream line the process and improve quality controls.

Asking for anything outside the norm interrupts their processes and slows down production.

Bottom line is, they are in the business to make money. So they are maneuvering themselves to do just that.

I'd also assume when they are ready to assume full operations there will be a standard production line and a custom shop line (I'd wager the custom shop will be the old factory floor space reconfigured for tours that don't interrupt production)

I have no problem with what they are doing, I just think the days of custom spec'ing guitars to our exact needs are gone. Or at least affordability is gone.

I agree, it takes takes the heritage made by hand at a affordable price . Without that , there just another high priced guitar . Sad days ahead . I would snatch the used ones . My thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not develop a team of Heritage 'custom shop' luthiers dedicated to some or all of the special orders? How to do this during the current revitalization and remain profitable will be a challenge.

Oh wait, that's what Gibson did with their old 'Custom Direct' program, building one-off special orders for well healed buyers/collectors and artists. At one time they had a West Coast Custom Shop in California headed by Roger Giffin. Eventually they discontinued that team, and rolled them into the 'Gibson Custom Shop Historic' group. I believe they now go by 'Gibson Custom', turning out 'True Custom' high end gits. True dat.

One thing I have discovered recently with the new ownership's change of policy that does not help us.

Custom Order Specs.

I placed an inquiry about a custom spec'd H150.

I asked for a thinner body like a H140 and a fat, chunky neck like a Gibson R7.

However, the neck shaping is now completed using a special jig to improve consistency. Custom neck shapes will be a substantial upcharge.

No idea on the body shape, it may be too costly.

The estimate cost is possibly twice that of a standard H150; I'm still waiting for actual price, the approval process is by committee now.

All the new owners must approve custom orders, not the shop foreman.

I know they have included some standard changes that were upgrades before such as a bone nuts and nickel hardware.

Switching hardware from chrome to nickel is awesome too, wish my 535 was nickel. I know that is also a cost increase they absorbed.

Realistically, they have made it difficult to custom order anything. Be either intentional or inadvertent.

On their defense, I'd assume many of their day to day operations are a struggle to work with given the changes they are making.

My guess is while they still want to produce guitars by hand, they also want to stream line the process and improve quality controls.

Asking for anything outside the norm interrupts their processes and slows down production.

Bottom line is, they are in the business to make money. So they are maneuvering themselves to do just that.

I'd also assume when they are ready to assume full operations there will be a standard production line and a custom shop line (I'd wager the custom shop will be the old factory floor space reconfigured for tours that don't interrupt production)

I have no problem with what they are doing, I just think the days of custom spec'ing guitars to our exact needs are gone. Or at least affordability is gone.

The honeymoon is over brother. :P

Archived