Heritage Owners Club

Would you buy this mod?

jazzalicious

Thinking of installing a trapeze tailpiece on my stoptail 555 to experiment with string feel (more used to trapezes as I have on my 525, and previously had a 575)

IF I still don't like the feel I will consider selling it.

Would you buy a guitar with a conversion like that (holes for trapeze near strap pin)??

How much loss of value do you think that would put on it?

It's in excellent condition.

wouldn't bother me much at all

much less invasive than a removed Bigsby ( I wonder if the end holes for a trapeze and a Bigsby line up? ie would a Bigsby work with the trapeze holes? )

but I am somewhat more lenient with wear & tear on instruments

it probably would affect resale, to some extent.

you could try drilling the trapeze out so it fits over the strap pin, and use that to test it out first

Yeah...looked a few trapezes (various lengths and screw installations vary )

Was thinking of testing it for a trial period with only the centre strap pin holding it, so it wouldn't require the mod..just a day or so.

I'm quick to know the feel I'm going for.

Just wouldn't push it past that long, to put too much stress on the single screw from strap pin holding it...

Yeah...looked a few trapezes (various lengths and screw installations vary )

Was thinking of testing it for a trial period with only the centre strap pin holding it, so it wouldn't require the mod..just a day or so.

I'm quick to know the feel I'm going for.

Just wouldn't push it past that long, to put too much stress on the single screw from strap pin holding it...

If you had a machinist you would be in good shape. ;^) Why don't you try top wrapping the strings over the top of the tailpiece. That would give a longer feel for the strings and save you beaucoup time and heart ache. Think about this. Retail goes down the drain and it would be easier to sell the 555 and get a similar 535/555 with the tailpiece you want. We won't tell the wife...

I have a Vibramate Trem for my 335. Put it on, felt the added weight and difficulty in finding the volume and tone knobs and took it off.

I would recommend only using a Trem like this one that allows you take it off with no holes left behind.

As a matter of fact, I will be putting my 335 Vibramate up for sale as soon as I can get pics.

Thanks.

Stringman

thanks

but I Do like my 555, and only paid $1750 for it, and the gibson is wayyyyyyy too much..

Agreed. Interesting though, as all the lore on the topic seems to indicate that the bail tail on a semi hollow was not desirable at all and now G reissues them. And at a pretty penny. Maybe if it flops as a model there will be used ones for a good price.

Different strokes...I would not booger a 555. I would buy a boogered guitar if I thought it would be for playing out. And I would expect to play less for that instrument.

Speaking of boogering, my '79 Gibson The Paul is having a scallop job done on the fretboard, also a pair of EMG PU's are being installed. It already looks like a player finish wise. Only doing that because my longtime friend/guitar tech is doing the work, and I do have enough Heritage instruments to keep my happy. It will be fun to take to the local open mics for the giggle factor.

Archived