Heritage Owners Club

Standard Heritage H-150 quality consistency these days

MartyGrass

The CC gets a lot of attention.  I'm curious about the standard instruments- H-150, H-530, and H-535 instruments the last year or so.  Are they consistently held to a high standard as well?

I know that's a sensitive question, but it's important.

I recently bought a NOS 2018 and 2019 150. The quality is great. My only issue, and this is minor, was how sloppy the wiring harnesses were wired. My OCD kicked in and I had to build new harnesses for both. IMO, My H-150's are better quality overall than the Gibson Slash LP I just finished. The feel of the neck alone makes a big difference. Not that the Slash is bad, it's just different.

In fact, I am actually considering selling my Standard. It's awesome, but my CC has become my go-to. I am getting rid of something. Be it my Standard or my '14 Gibson. 

The build quality of my 2019 H-150 and H-535 are great!  A couple of small issues with the H-150- the soldering on the pickup leads was horrible- like a child had done it (though it sounded fine), and the high E string rattled like it was too close to the first fret.  It turned out that the nut slot was cut very poorly with no back angle towards the headstock.  It was a very easy fix- a few swipes of a nut file.

I don't know. I buy good quality 60/40 solder. As long as you buy one of the name brands, it's fine. The off brand Chinese stuff has given me problems though. It's also much easier with a good quality soldering station.

1 hour ago, bolero said:

I wonder if lead free solder is the cause: harder to solder than the old leaded stuff?

The lead free is harder to work with because it has a higher melting point by about 60°F. I'm with PunkKitty. I use 60/40.

36 minutes ago, ElChoad said:

The lead free is harder to work with because it has a higher melting point by about 60°F. I'm with PunkKitty. I use 60/40.

I have never used the lead free stuff.  The roll I have will last me the rest of my life. 

My assumption is yes.  I was there a few months ago, pickup up an aged 150 standard off the wall.  To me, it was damn near perfect.  Nut was cut right, ends weren't sharp.  Frets felt great.  Guitar was rather light (and not weight relieved).  Other than intentional "flaws' I thought it was spot on.  The local GC's that carry them around me aren't that close and not worth a trip usually, so I have no idea beyond my small sample size.

I can attest to the difficulty of using lead free solder.  It has to get hotter, and still doesn't seem to flow as well.  Unfortunately these days anyone doing manufacturing for public consumption has to go the lead free route.   You don't want to poison some kid when he chews on the volume pots of your guitar!

I've still got two good rolls of rosin core 60/40.   That should last me forever.  

Archived