Heritage Owners Club

Is this a green light to buy?

crocane

Hello all, I have been lurking on this site for several months and really enjoy the discussions and camaraderie.

I have a custom shop strat that I love but I have always wanted a Gibson 335 or 355. I played a 355 and didnt like it at all. It didnt feel well made. I was very disapointed to be honest. I thought at first that it was just that I was used to the strat but then I had a chance to play a H 555 and loved it. Have been wanting one since. Have been learning about them and debating on used vs. new. Plus I needed to tell the wife I was getting another guitar (I also have a nice Martin that she baught me years ago and got a very nice amp a few months ago).

Not sure how it works in your households but generally I dont like to drop $2k or $3k on something without discussing it with the wife and she would do the same with me. So I told her about the guitar and that I wanted to buy one. She asked me some questions about the guitar and how much it was and sounded semi-interested in what i was saying. She didnt say that it wasnt a good idea or that I shouldnt get it....at the same time she didnt say great idea or you have to buy that guitar or anything like that. The conversation just ended.

To me that means I have the green light...what do you fellas think?

ummmmm.....If I had that conversation with my wife I'd have to one followup just to be sure....

something like this.

Sweetie, you remember we had a conversation about that guitar I wanted to buy....just thought I'd

let you know I was getting ready to order it. Should I do it this pay period or next?

Ha..ha ha ha... I am an enabler when it comes to buying Heritage guitars, but I can't touch that one.. No answer = no answer

If I had to guess what that means... she is not against the idea, but maybe if you could find a way to create some of the cash towards it... a bonus, a quick side job , selling something, ... then she would support the idea more.

You did communicate what your intention is... maybe she just wanted a bit of time to absorb the idea... .... you have to bring it up again... IMO.

You will never go wrong owning a Heritage. And it doesn't depreciate in value, either. So, you could say it is money in the bank. try that for an arguement w/the better half :huh:

I like jazzrats idea.. ask a secondary question where either choice assumes that you're buying it ...

"Should I get this color or that?"

"Should I get the money from this account or that...? "

"Should I do it this week ... or next? "

Welcome Crocane!!!

Right now is the best time to order a new H 555

Wait times are low, quality is top notch and its kinda like Burger King....HAVE IT YOUR WAY...Heritage is a custom shop, you have them build it like YOU WANT IT!!!

GO FOR IT!!!! it will be you #1 axe, i guarentee it!!!!

lol...all very good ideas. How about this...I tell her that I can save her $2000 if I buy the guitar for her but only if I buy it this weekend!

I think she would be ok with it. I am out of town next week but then I think I am just going to get it and come home with it. What is the worst thing that can happen?

Brent, I was thinking about custom ordering one if I cant find one locally that I really fall in love with.

Any idea what the wait time would be to order a custom 555 right about now?

i would guess 3-4 months max...from the time the dealer places the order to the time the dealer recieves it. It might be closer to 3?

My H 137 Deluxe only took 8 weeks but thats a solid body, flat top...much easier to build.

As my best friend is wont to say, "It is far easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission." Of course, he's divorced now, but I don't think that's pertinent to this discussion.

In my experience, any excuse is good for at least one use. "I accidentally hit But-It-Now." "I low-balled the auction, thinking for sure someone would outbid me. Can you believe this steal? I'll make some money on it when I flip it!" "I have a couple guys from the board interested in this other one, so it's a question of time before I've satisfied one-in-one-out."

You could try this, too.

Do you need more help?

Hello all, I have been lurking on this site for several months and really enjoy the discussions and camaraderie.

I have a custom shop strat that I love but I have always wanted a Gibson 335 or 355. I played a 355 and didnt like it at all. It didnt feel well made. I was very disapointed to be honest. I thought at first that it was just that I was used to the strat but then I had a chance to play a H 555 and loved it. Have been wanting one since. Have been learning about them and debating on used vs. new. Plus I needed to tell the wife I was getting another guitar (I also have a nice Martin that she baught me years ago and got a very nice amp a few months ago).

Not sure how it works in your households but generally I dont like to drop $2k or $3k on something without discussing it with the wife and she would do the same with me. So I told her about the guitar and that I wanted to buy one. She asked me some questions about the guitar and how much it was and sounded semi-interested in what i was saying. She didnt say that it wasnt a good idea or that I shouldnt get it....at the same time she didnt say great idea or you have to buy that guitar or anything like that. The conversation just ended.

To me that means I have the green light...what do you fellas think?

When I get asked this question,I usually tell this tale. It starts by the wife saying 'Why do you need another guitar,Honey ?'. The trick then is to take your lady to her wardrobe,and show her all the dresses.To really get the saucepan over the head,you then say ' What happened to the white one you got married in ? You only wore it once !'

Who knows what lies in the brain of a woman ? The fact we buy guitars and refer to them as female tells us that a guitar is the only female thing that does as we men tell it ! A nice 535 or 555 is a great instrument,and if you keep it a while,you won't loose money either.Good luck with your choice.

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1281738480_thumb.jpg

Crocane~ If you are not ABSOLUTELY certain that your wife has given you the green light on an expensive purchase, my only advice is to be very careful.

If she see's a new Heritage box arriving on a big brown truck or sitting on your lap, you could end up living at this place for a while...

post-8-1281741341_thumb.jpg

buy used and you will have not lost any money right out of the gate. You could always sell it for the same price if its used. New guitars may initially lose value as you 'drive them off the lot'. If you can find a good deal on a used one, you literally have nothing to lose.

It's a safe bet there's something she'd love to buy that costs a comparable amount. Isn't it time she got it ? ; )

Tal

You will never go wrong owning a Heritage. And it doesn't depreciate in value, either. So, you could say it is money in the bank. try that for an arguement w/the better half :)

In a recent thread a fellow member made the best rationale I've heard yet to paraphrase; "it is only a temporary reallocation of assets". And yes, if price point is a major concern, you can save a bundle buying used.

By the way, welcome. I also wasn't impressed by the new Gibsons, thats how I wound up with my first Heritage.

Brent, I am in Stuart, Florida...which is about 20 minutes north of Jupiter (where Wolfe is). In fact my parents live about 2 mintes from Wolfe. Going in there is what introduced me to Heritage. Why do you ask?

As far as my wife buying things or me making a deal with her to buy something if I get the guitar...she is a little different than most women. She really isnt into cloths or jewlery. She doesnt buy much. What she does do is take a trip, usually on her own, once a year to a spa or a class/seminar about something she is interested in. They are usually fairly expensive. She took one in June....which is why I have a little leverage here.

We spoke again about it last night. She still has not said "go ahead and get it"...but I think she understands that it is inevitable that I will come home with one....so I guess she has accpeted that...lol....so I dont think I will need the eight ball!

So, very soon hopefully I will be officially joining the Heritage Owners Club.

Archived