Heritage Owners Club

My H-150 Gets a Makeover

ExNihilo

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HRB853370

Two comments.

First, this deserves a fresh thread. It's just too long.

Second, I agree with the OP on one of his initial points: That's some fine wood. The fingerboard is spectacular. The finish is very pleasing and not overdone.

I could never, ever do that good of a job.

Having just fit a PG, I believe there's a little too much sky between the plastic. I suspect that you are using the original PG and it couldn't be helped. On the other hand, there's no functional reason the PG has to touch the pup rings and it looks balanced the way it is.

Well said "Farrah"

Two comments.

First, this deserves a fresh thread. It's just too long.

Second, I agree with the OP on one of his initial points: That's some fine wood. The fingerboard is spectacular. The finish is very pleasing and not overdone.

I could never, ever do that good of a job.

Having just fit a PG, I believe there's a little too much sky between the plastic. I suspect that you are using the original PG and it couldn't be helped. On the other hand, there's no functional reason the PG has to touch the pup rings and it looks balanced the way it is.

I can't say I agree with you Mark. The top portion of the pick guard, the neck pup cutout . . the pick guard should come down to meet the end of the finger board. The bottom portion of the pick guard should come down to the end of the neck pup ring, as previously mentioned. The pockets on both pup cutouts should be tighter, without necessarily touching. (I hate that squeaking noise when one rubs against the other when they touch) It's all about fit and finish, in this case. Nothing to do with functionality. ExNihilo was obviously going for a Gibson look, poker chip, pick guard etc.. It wasn't the original pick guard that he used. The original was shown in the pictures when first posted. It was a Heritage H150 PG. He either cut this one . . or bought it. The makeover is too well done for him to settle for that PG. It can be and needs to be done better.

Also, I have to agree with skinslammer. The "Les Paul Model" on the head stock is in poor taste . . . regardless of the explanation ExNihilo gave for doing so. But, it's his guitar. If he likes it .. then, 'nuff said! I'm not offended by it. Hell, who am I to talk . . . I've got 2 Heritages that say D'Angelico on the head stock!!

Yea, the pick guard is a temporary one I made. I can use it generically on a lot of different builds. I'll get around to making a good one for this guitar sometime.

Also, I have to agree with skinslammer. The "Les Paul Model" on the head stock is in poor taste . . .

Nah, The Les Paul model looks cool and it is the right thing for this guitar.... IMO that is what this guitar is. :icon_thumright:

Nah, The Les Paul model looks cool and it is the right thing for this guitar.... IMO that is what this guitar is. :icon_thumright:

In my opinion, this guitar is now neither a Heritage nor a Gibson, it is an ExNihilo custom. You've done a very nice job but it might as well say Tokai on the headstock now.

Nihilo, I admire your ability to pull this project off. I suspect it's very close to exactly what you intended to do. If we're splitting hairs, the guard needs a better fit; the guitar, your work, deserves that. Color is really well chosen, for a vintage vibe! I think the headstock is a mixture of metaphors that, given the "politics" of all this, a topic worried to death, here, doesn't work for me. But then I can't imagine that matters. Again, major kudos on a job well done. And good for you, that you hung on with this thread, seeing it through to the finish, despite having taken some of the heaviest incoming I've seen in three years here. I'd let you work on my sticks any time....

That is one fabulous looking guitar! Job well done. All things considered though...I personally prefer the Heritage headstock for its mass and straighter string pull. I do envy your craftsmanship abilities.

Yea, the pick guard is a temporary one I made. I can use it generically on a lot of different builds. I'll get around to making a good one for this guitar sometime.

I get it, It is the Real Les Paul. Its just weird to me to see that headstock and Les Paul logo on a Heritage. I think ExNihilo's point is that the original in '59 was a Real Les Paul with the open book headstock and Les Paul logo made at Parsons Street by our friends at Heritage and that was His intent, to put it back the way it belonged in his mind. Its just weird to see.

I agree with Patrick (as I usually do) that the guitar is so nice, it deserves a better PG fit. Other than that, It looks great, I'm sure it plays and sounds great. What a great guitar.

Play it with pride ExNihilo as you certainly have put a lot of good effort in to it and it shows. Get in a band, go on stage and play the crap out of it and then it will be a real Les Paul. They were meant to be played.

In my opinion, this guitar is now neither a Heritage nor a Gibson, it is an ExNihilo custom. You've done a very nice job but it might as well say Tokai on the headstock now.

Ouch....!!! (I'm a Tokai owner).

Howard, I have played Tokai's that would blow you away and you would want to own.

Howard, I have played Tokai's that would blow you away and you would want to own.

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from Tokai. I think it's a complement. As I mentioned earlier, regardless of shape or logo or brand, it is neither a Gibson or a Heritage. I agree that it is a heck of a guitar like so many others with boutique brand names. The thing for ExNihilo to think about would be, if he were a famous luthier like Suhr, what name would he put on the headstock? However, I think it is as close to a real Les Paul as you may be able to get based on looks, sound and playability. Now to become real, it needs to be played. All legendary Les Pauls became legendary after they were played. None were iconic before they were played. The harder they were played, the more iconic they became. I'm sure if Jimmy Page played this guitar on tour and recorded with it and told everyone how much he loved it, how special it was, how rare it was, it would become as valuable as any others he might play. Just like a Tokai. See what I mean?

Guest HRB853370

I get it, It is the Real Les Paul. Its just weird to me to see that headstock and Les Paul logo on a Heritage. I think ExNihilo's point is that the original in '59 was a Real Les Paul with the open book headstock and Les Paul logo made at Parsons Street by our friends at Heritage and that was His intent, to put it back the way it belonged in his mind. Its just weird to see.

I agree with Patrick (as I usually do) that the guitar is so nice, it deserves a better PG fit. Other than that, It looks great, I'm sure it plays and sounds great. What a great guitar.

Play it with pride ExNihilo as you certainly have put a lot of good effort in to it and it shows. Get in a band, go on stage and play the crap out of it and then it will be a real Les Paul. They were meant to be played.

Was just thinkin....does Patrick pay you to agree with him? :icon_thumright:

Hi Mark, no disrespect meant at all! Top end Tokais are top notch guitars as are Heritage and Gibson. What ExNihilo has made could have started as any of them. He has a very classy copy of a Les Paul style guitar.

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from Tokai. I think it's a complement. As I mentioned earlier, regardless of shape or logo or brand, it is neither a Gibson or a Heritage. I agree that it is a heck of a guitar like so many others with boutique brand names. The thing for ExNihilo to think about would be, if he were a famous luthier like Suhr, what name would he put on the headstock? However, I think it is as close to a real Les Paul as you may be able to get based on looks, sound and playability. Now to become real, it needs to be played. All legendary Les Pauls became legendary after they were played. None were iconic before they were played. The harder they were played, the more iconic they became. I'm sure if Jimmy Page played this guitar on tour and recorded with it and told everyone how much he loved it, how special it was, how rare it was, it would become as valuable as any others he might play. Just like a Tokai. See what I mean?

Thanks NNB, very succinctly put. Regarding the Tokai comment, I hope Mark understands it the way I meant it now.

Thanks NNB, very succinctly put. Regarding the Tokai comment, I hope Mark understands it the way I meant it now.

It sucks when one's comments are misinterpreted as negative, or in poor taste, or rude, when they weren't meant to be . . . . doesn't it????

I'm sure if Jimmy Page played this guitar on tour and recorded with it and told everyone how much he loved it, how special it was, how rare it was, it would become as valuable as any others he might play. Just like a Tokai. See what I mean?

Ok, this is off topic.. but you reminded me of an incident in Japan. As Led Zeppelin got together for their press conference, someone handed Robert Plant a Greco and flashed a quick picture. They then used it in an ad.. Led Zeppelin plays Greco. At the concert, the band made a point to mention that they do not play Greco...

sorry, you just brought back that memory.

It sucks when one's comments are misinterpreted as negative, or in poor taste, or rude, when they weren't meant to be . . . . doesn't it????

Yes, it just reinforces the fact that one should leave as little room for misinterpretation as possible and be prepared to explain in as polite a way as possible if that misinterpretation subsequently happens. Humans eh? What a weird species we are.

Was just thinkin....does Patrick pay you to agree with him? :icon_thumright:

I find that agreeing with obvious intelligent comments saves time when replying to threads. Giving credit where credit is due and not taking credit for comments already made is polite and respectful. Thats just who I am.

Yes, it just reinforces the fact that one should leave as little room for misinterpretation as possible and be prepared to explain in as polite a way as possible if that misinterpretation subsequently happens. Humans eh? What a weird species we are.

Humans . . . "a weird species" . . while "weird" is obviously a subjective word, you're still being too kind when describing we humans as a species!! I agree with being careful about what we say. Unfortunately, like everyone else, sometimes I'm not. We all, our at least most of us, expect and assume that our words would be interpreted exactly as we mean them to be. That's not always the case. However, and especially in times like the present, men and women should utter nothing for which they would not willingly be responsible through time and eternity.

Howard, no sweat! I knew what you meant and didn't take it bad in any way at all! I actually have a perverse pleasure in owning a tokai, I have a guitar that equals the present Gibson les paul standard at about half the price! When I said 'ouch', it was my dry humour.

Can you remember Eric Clapton on the Chas and Dave Christmas special back in the early eighties playing a Tokai Strat? They are just great work horses, once you get to the proper Japanese ones. The Better end Tokai's are a match for any USA built guitar.

X2

Lets quit being so sensitive and play nice. We have a lot of nice people here with a lot of good content to add to many interesting conversations. We should make room for multiple opinions as rarely, is One opinion, the only One. I say, if Two people agree on everything, One of them isn't necessary.

So many fine people with so much to learn and contribute with a great HOC forum to provide a central place to do so. We are only as good as the sum total of our experience...

Lets quit being so sensitive and play nice. We have a lot of nice people here with a lot of good content to add to many interesting conversations. We should make room for multiple opinions as rarely, is One opinion, the only One. I say, if Two people agree on everything, One of them isn't necessary.

So many fine people with so much to learn and contribute with a great HOC forum to provide a central place to do so. We are only as good as the sum total of our experience...

Mark: Regarding your comments on how two people shouldn't always agree on everything . . . I will disagree . . . but, only because I wanted to agree with you on that matter . . . agreed??? ;)

Mark: Regarding your comments on how two people shouldn't always agree on everything . . . I will disagree . . . but, only because I wanted to agree with you on that matter . . . agreed??? ;)

It depends... on what your position is regarding agreement. I could agree with your disagreement but then I would be agreeing with you and I can't do that.

Archived