Heritage Owners Club

My H-150 Gets a Makeover

ExNihilo

Talking of the English language, just as a side issue, I am getting fed up of the destroying of it. being a Yorkshireman - ,ey up lad an all that, I do not speak the queens English with received pronunciation. However, I sick of people using it incorrectly.

EXample: People are now saying (even on the bbc) that "we should except the issue". What they really mean and what is correct English is "we should ACCEPT the issue.

Example: "I could care less" What they really mean is "I could NOT care less", which has an altogether different meaning.

Troll bait: I know what it means but I'm not going to be the one to explain it!!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Kuz. That's the point I was trying to make when mark555 made that long post quoting all of the scientific hoopla from "The Beauty Of The Burst". These guys just built guitars back then. The things you alluded to above are representative of the inconsistencies from one '59 burst to the next. That's one of the things that made them so interesting. "Back in the day" no one at Parsons Street considered the ultimate consequences of many of their choices of materials or even build techniques for that matter. Some of materials and build techniques, certainly . . .but not the vast majority. Gibson just built guitars. The magical outcome was more by accident or consequence than it was by design or plan. Most of these modern day talented luthiers who make clones of the '59 burst usually get one to copy from. If they make 100 clones, they're all going to be a clone of that one particular original '59 burst. I think Gibson built some 2,800 of them. They were each and every one . . . a different guitar. Even the current H150s can't lay claim to that. Because, while there are still variances from one guitar to the next, the H150s produced today are much more consistent than the Les Pauls of the late ,50s and early ,60s.

Patrick, we do have differences you and I, from time to time. But they are always good back & forth that is well thought out from both sides.

In this post, I agree 100% completely with what you stated, exactly.

Talking of the English language, just as a side issue, I am getting fed up of the destroying of it. being a Yorkshireman - ,ey up lad an all that, I do not speak the queens English with received pronunciation. However, I sick of people using it incorrectly.

EXample: People are now saying (even on the bbc) that "we should except the issue". What they really mean and what is correct English is "we should ACCEPT the issue.

Example: "I could care less" What they really mean is "I could NOT care less", which has an altogether different meaning.

Troll bait: I know what it means but I'm not going to be the one to explain it!!

People who mangle the language irk me, too. As the son of a lifelong English teacher, even glaring spelling errors are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I used to joke that I was the only soldier in Basic Training who got his letters to home sent back with red ink corrections! LOL. I enjoy British humor, so I GOT your Boss "Pedal" (correct spelling over here, haha) joke. My problem is with Brits who are quite sure they are wittier than we clods over here, simply because they have a British accent.

The I could NOT care less one has always bothered me, too, but it reminds me of a joke; What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care!!

:occasion14:

Oh well, while we are off topic, I dont mind to much how much any language changes over time. I just see it as natural progression.

Read a book from the late 1800's and see how far removed your own version of English has become from what passed as English back then. Step back further to 1700's and people would stare at you like you were speaking a foreign language if you tried to engage them in conversation.

I cant remember the last time someone used the word "verily" in a conversation with me unless they were quoting Shakespeare or text out of the King James Bible. More likely get an "honestly" or an "I shit you not". Nothings been lost in translation.

Verily I say to thee, the beauty of thine Heritage is.......Translate......Whoa that freaking rocks man.....

So which era of English language are you trying to keep intact? What the hell is the true English language? Why do you think it shouldnt change from what it is when its spent its whole life adapting and changing? Its never at any point of its existence been static.

What I do object to is getting a red line under "favour" "flavour" "labour" "neighbour" etc. Is my spell check ******* stupid?

Tully, (or Tilly as my iPhone spellchecker insists) you are right on the money. Languages adapt and expand to meet new requirements all the time. Countries that attempt to lock down their language, France for example, are doomed to failure.

We are an expressive species; long may we find new words and ways to convey what we mean.

Guest HRB853370

I just scanned some of the replies on the last page of this thead. I thought the topic was about, "my H 150 receives a makeover". What happened?

I just scanned some of the replies on the last page of this thead. I thought the topic was about, "my H 150 receives a makeover". What happened?

I am waiting for a truss rod cover. Hopefully Monday. Other than that, I have the guitar buffed out and all put together again. Looks really cool.

I am waiting for a truss rod cover. Hopefully Monday. Other than that, I have the guitar buffed out and all put together again. Looks really cool.

Just wondered, are you going to have 'Non-Standard' etched into the truss rod cover? ;)

Oh man sorry. I read through and thought it was just a rant thread.

Back on topic:

No I dont agree. But as always ymmv.

Oh well, while we are off topic, I dont mind to much how much any language changes over time. I just see it as natural progression.

Read a book from the late 1800's and see how far removed your own version of English has become from what passed as English back then. Step back further to 1700's and people would stare at you like you were speaking a foreign language if you tried to engage them in conversation.

I cant remember the last time someone used the word "verily" in a conversation with me unless they were quoting Shakespeare or text out of the King James Bible. More likely get an "honestly" or an "I shit you not". Nothings been lost in translation.

Verily I say to thee, the beauty of thine Heritage is.......Translate......Whoa that freaking rocks man.....

So which era of English language are you trying to keep intact? What the hell is the true English language? Why do you think it shouldnt change from what it is when its spent its whole life adapting and changing? Its never at any point of its existence been static.

What I do object to is getting a red line under "favour" "flavour" "labour" "neighbour" etc. Is my spell check ******* stupid?

G'day cobber, while I accept that the language does develop and evolve, what I don't like is total ignorance, and I cite the two examples I mentioned previously. The Americans are beyond redemption, so they are excused.... :biggrin_mini:

schundog, I am really glad you got the point of the Boss pedal comment, good on you.

Skinslammer, I think it's good that this thread is chilling out now, we have left the strong stuff behind..

In my opinion, if one is truly searching for the "holy grail," IE Gibson '59 burst Les Paul, then NOTHING ELSE will EVER make you stop looking than actually obtaining an original.

If, however, you're looking for the best damn Les Paul you could possibly buy today that has the quality and vibe of yesteryear, it's a Heritage. I've never played a better Les Paul by Gibson, PRS, or any other of the "boutique" (IE cost too much damn money) brands. Heritage is reasonably priced, plus they're the best there is. Win-win!

I originally wanted to make my H150 more Gibson like, particularly to drop the Schaller bridge in favor of a TOM, but I'm too afraid to make such big modifications because I fear changing the sound AT ALL...it's the best guitar I ever owned as is, so it'll stay stock for now.

So I guess my point is, enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.

I originally wanted to make my H150 more Gibson like, particularly to drop the Schaller bridge in favor of a TOM, but I'm too afraid to make such big modifications because I fear changing the sound AT ALL...

If your guitar sounds great, it is probably the wood. Mine has really great wood. I think the new bridge makes it sound even better. But, that's pretty subjective.

If your guitar sounds great, it is probably the wood. Mine has really great wood. I think the new bridge makes it sound even better. But, that's pretty subjective.

i think that's the major issue with all the LPs i've played over the years. my '98 LPC replaced the '68 i'd sold long ago. took that long to find a guitar with the acoustic sound (a little better, i think)

headstock: offhand i can think of 4-5 Heritage has employed over the years

language: "begging the question" is a logical fallacy, first described by Aristotle. s/b "prompts the queston" or similar in usual contemporary usage. but the takes-the-cake earbanger for me is "for you and i" or "between he and she" or similar. (capitalizations optional, of course B))

vintage LP Standards: i've long wondered how many of those $500K '59s languishing in collections are actually duds. there had to be some with duller wood or looser neck pocket fits, etc.

i think that's the major issue with all the LPs i've played over the years. my '98 LPC replaced the '68 i'd sold long ago. took that long to find a guitar with the acoustic sound (a little better, i think)

headstock: offhand i can think of 4-5 Heritage has employed over the years

language: "begging the question" is a logical fallacy, first described by Aristotle. s/b "prompts the queston" or similar in usual contemporary usage. but the takes-the-cake earbanger for me is "for you and i" or "between he and she" or similar. (capitalizations optional, of course B))

vintage LP Standards: i've long wondered how many of those $500K '59s languishing in collections are actually duds. there had to be some with duller wood or looser neck pocket fits, etc.

Good points rj. I've long wondered how many of those pricey (I won't say $500K '59s because the value spread from guitar to guitar is vast) . . how many of those pricey '59s even get played. There are owners who don't dare pick them up, star them on, plug them in and truly spank them. You're probably correct. MANY probably are dogs. From what I've been told by some pretty high end collectors is that the Brock Burst sounds and plays like shit. Now, while I'm sure that can be corrected so that it sounds and plays much better . . . who's going to have the balls to touch it? Re-cut the nut? File and dress the frets? Change out the caps? I don't think so. They don't even dare to change out the shrunken and shriveled up 6th string tuner button. Probably don't even tune it up for fear that tuner button would crumble when turned.

Some one said earlier, the only way someone is going to satisfy their need for a real '59 burst is to get one. Amen brother!

Regarding the language issue . . . some say it needs to evolve to fit the changing needs of new generations. God help us!!! Does anyone remember the attempt that was made about a decade or so ago, to introduce "ebonics" into then current academician curriculum? Be careful what you ask for. I, for one, kinda miss what ol' dub-ya used to do to the English language .. . or his version of it. C'mon man . .. newcyaler war heads?? Ya jes gotta luv it!!!!

George W. (dub-ya) Bush.

Good points rj. I've long wondered how many of those pricey (I won't say $500K '59s because the value spread from guitar to guitar is vast) . . ...

yeahman. but there's no cure for dud wood, regardless of vintage

Regarding the language issue . . . some say it needs to evolve to fit the changing needs of new generations. God help us!!! Does anyone remember the attempt that was made about a decade or so ago, to introduce "ebonics" into then current academician curriculum? Be careful what you ask for. I, for one, kinda miss what ol' dub-ya used to do to the English language .. . or his version of it. C'mon man . .. newcyaler war heads?? Ya jes gotta luv it!!!!

George W. (dub-ya) Bush.

as i recall from my nearly-misspent college career, there are 3 kinds of grammar: descriptive (is what it is), proscriptive (don't do this), prescriptive (this is proper usage). me, being a conservative in these matters (tho often inconsistent & colloquial), i tend to adhere to the latter. but the first is the only one that prevails. (Jesperson? Priestley?)

"silly" originally meant "holy", e.g.

one o' these days "expresso" might be primary for "espresso", as "Feb-u-ary" is for "Feb-ru-ary" at least in the U.S.; but i cringe hearing "aks" for "ask"

i admire Brit. usage, but wish they'd lern to spel write

but i cringe hearing "aks" for "ask"

The pronunciation "aks" for the verb "ask" has its roots in Old English, and usage into the 18th century, and was found in period Chaucerian and Shakespearean English. It was a spoken convention of many of the English sailors who crewed the ships making the Middle Passage, bringing the enslaved from Africa to the Western Hemisphere. Since this was the primary exposure of most Africans to the English language, they naturally adopted the pronunciation. Because literacy was denied the enslaved, the archaic pronunciation persisted and became a spoken convention in the African-American community.

The pronunciation "aks" for the verb "ask" has its roots in Old English, and usage into the 18th century, and was found in period Chaucerian and Shakespearean English. It was a spoken convention of many of the English sailors who crewed the ships making the Middle Passage, bringing the enslaved from Africa to the Western Hemisphere. Since this was the primary exposure of most Africans to the English language, they naturally adopted the pronunciation. Because literacy was denied the enslaved, the archaic pronunciation persisted and became a spoken convention in the African-American community.

have read that, still cringe. "haitch" for letter "h" bugs me, too, tho it's utterly natural for many native speakers. "nucular" for "nuclear" used to prompt chuckles and sneers...until the Prez used it. yikes.

semi-related, heard during a walk to the library today: "healthy" to mean "healthful". i believe we're witnessing the demise of the latter.

Archived