Heritage Owners Club

My H-150 Gets a Makeover

ExNihilo

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I am new here and I just bought my first Heritage guitar a week ago. Being a luthier, I have built several LP replicas, but wanted to get a Heritage for some time. Well, I bought my first one and love it. The only things I did not like were the finish, the hardware, and the headstock.

I sincerely hope that this post does not offend anyone. I certainly do not want to do that. I LOVE my H-150!

Here are some pictures showing the process of the makeover:

Here is the original finish:

H01.jpg?t=1289903946

H03.jpg?t=1289903979

H05.jpg?t=1289904009

Finish removed and the carve reshaped:

H08.jpg?t=1289904082

New headstock ears cut and a holly veneer applied:

H10.jpg?t=1289904169

H11.jpg?t=1289904203

H12.jpg?t=1289904240

Vintage correct grain filled mahogany and an aniline burst sprayed (so it will fade like a vintage burst):

059.jpg?t=1289904349

060.jpg?t=1289904378

003-1.jpg?t=1289904404

You can see more about this makeover at the Luthier's Corner Forum on MLP:

My link

Again, I hope this does not upset anyone.

Sincerely, Scott

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it will upset anyone at all. Lots of folks on here customize their guitars, you're just going a good bit further than most of us could ever do. It's like customizing a car. Some people put on new wheels, some chop the top!

Interesting approach. The headstock aside (I like Heritage design, especially when its bound) it looks good. You've got a really nice color blend on it. I assume you are using a good NC lacquer. :icon_thumright:

Be sure to post the final pics in the gallery when you get finished.

I can certainly admire and applaud your skill and craftsmanship, but I do sort of have mixed feelings on the headstock change.

To me, the Heritage headstock is a symbol of Heritage, one that I happen to greatly admire ^_^

Either way, it’s your guitar, it looks great, I look forward to seeing the final product, and welcome to the HOC!!! :D

Firstly, welcome to HOC. Congratulations on your H150. But, are you sure that's what you really wanted? With the head stock change, you effectively turned it into a Gibson LP. I'm guessing that you'll install a Gibson shaped pick guard as well? It's your guitar . . . it's your call. But, here's what I think you did wrong; the head stock issue is an issue that most here on HOC have discussed to death. Many here on HOC kinda, sorta, strongly disliked and disrespected the Heritage "snake head" type head stock when they got their first Heritage. Unfortunately . . . or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) most of us don't have your skills and talents to change it the way you did. So, we loved the guitars and tolerated the head stocks. Eventually, we all have come to love the head stock for what it symbolizes. We consider it a badge of honor . . . a status symbol. I believe that, if you didn't make the change, you too would have gone through the same emotional roller coaster that most of us did, then eventually wound up loving what it represents . . . as we do. I own quite a few Heritage guitars of different types and styles. I couldn't picture any of them with anything other than the head stock they were created with.

However, that being said, I doubt that anyone here on the HOC is going to be offended, insulted or angered by the changes you've made. Here's what's going to happen . . . you're gonna love that 150 so much, you'll eventually get another. This time, just try to give the head stock a little time. You'll warm up to it just as we did. As for the refin . . it looks great! Kinda reminds me of a standard Heritage color anyway . . . VSB, or Vintage Sun Burst. Enjoy your H150. They're great guitars.

Guest mgoetting

You must enjoy what you are doing, and you do it well.

What I don't get is why you didn't do the makeover on a H150 that's road worn.

Don't get me wrong: the fewer clownbursts on Earth, the happier God is.

Don't get me wrong: the fewer clownbursts on Earth, the happier God is.

Ha... Mark, this made me laugh out loud.... not that I hate clownbursts or anything, but it was funny.

Scott, it looks like you do some great work.

I've got a luthier made LP replica, so I understand the appeal of these types of things.

It looks great and Heritage uses some great lumber to start with, so it should be a great one.

Of course, we look on the Heritage headstock as a symbol of the people that continued the Kalamazoo guitar making heritage. There is a story behind the people that make those guitars at Parsons St. still today. And... part of that heritage must include the story of Gibson also.

Firstly, welcome to HOC. Congratulations on your H150. But, are you sure that's what you really wanted? With the head stock change, you effectively turned it into a Gibson LP. I'm guessing that you'll install a Gibson shaped pick guard as well? It's your guitar . . . it's your call. But, here's what I think you did wrong; the head stock issue is an issue that most here on HOC have discussed to death. Many here on HOC kinda, sorta, strongly disliked and disrespected the Heritage "snake head" type head stock when they got their first Heritage. Unfortunately . . . or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) most of us don't have your skills and talents to change it the way you did. So, we loved the guitars and tolerated the head stocks. Eventually, we all have come to love the head stock for what it symbolizes. We consider it a badge of honor . . . a status symbol. I believe that, if you didn't make the change, you too would have gone through the same emotional roller coaster that most of us did, then eventually wound up loving what it represents . . . as we do. I own quite a few Heritage guitars of different types and styles. I couldn't picture any of them with anything other than the head stock they were created with.

However, that being said, I doubt that anyone here on the HOC is going to be offended, insulted or angered by the changes you've made. Here's what's going to happen . . . you're gonna love that 150 so much, you'll eventually get another. This time, just try to give the head stock a little time. You'll warm up to it just as we did. As for the refin . . it looks great! Kinda reminds me of a standard Heritage color anyway . . . VSB, or Vintage Sun Burst. Enjoy your H150. They're great guitars.

+1, Patrick said it all for me.

Scott, I hope that you don't mind me posting some of your comments from the other forum... it's great stuff and sets up mindset behind this build.

Edited content...

I have built a few replicas that I think come pretty close to the old days, but still there has always something missing; some secret ingredient. I think I have found the ingredient I have been looking for.

I seriously considered using some of the money to buy an historic LP. However after playing a few at the guitar shop, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much money for something that did not have the mojo.

But then I went to a shop called “Mojo Music” (I must be on the right track). This shop (Mojo Music), is an authorized dealer of Heritage Guitars. When I got there, there were three Heritage H-150s. The third H-150 was just what I was looking for. It was a very well made guitar with a very low bridge and everything lined up just right. The neck shape was just right for me and the guitar is very light weight. I fell in love with it.

This H-150 was custom ordered by the owner of the shop and was made in 2008. It probably never sold because of its colour; a bright red clown burst. But that did not deter me in the least. I could see it was made out of some great wood. So I bought the guitar.

When I got home I decided to call Heritage Guitars to ask them about the guitar. I gave the year and serial number and started asking questions. Questions such as: How many of the tools and machines that built my H-150 were used to build the original 58-60 Les Paul Standards? Did anyone work on my guitar who actually had a hand in building some of the original 58-60 LP Standards? Etc. Etc. The answers were awesome. He started firing off all of the tools from the glue wheel to the ban saw, to the pin router, on and on. I was also told that Marvin Lamb worked on my guitar, and some other guy who worked on 58-60 bursts selected the wood. So, for me, this guitar has all kinds of mojo. I mean it was made on the very machines that built the bursts, and some of the original hands helped build it!

You need to join us at the factory tour at PSP IV... you'd love it. Check the gallery for some pics.

Very impressive work. I'm not on board with the headstock though. What is the difference in the and changing a Fender headstock to a Gibson? What would everyone say about that, or changing a Gibson to a Heritage? Not to mention, how did you get the Heritage logo back on the headstock and did you use a Gibson serial number on the back? I wonder if Heritage would approve of this use of their logo? I wouldn't. Its a shame you couldn't have such a great finished product starting with a Gibson. In my humble opinion, if you use a Heritage because it is a great guitar, they should get the recognition for building great guitars. I guess Gibson builds better headstocks than guitars, and according to you, Heritage builds better guitars than headstocks. Thats like buying a Ferrari, changing the badging/emblems to Lamborghini because you like their emblems better.

As an afterthought, usually the headstock is what identifies a guitar from a distance. This is why many Asian guitars copy the headstocks of better guitars so their guitars are intentionally mistaken for better built guitars. In the case of Heritage Guitars, I don't know why One would want their guitar intentionally mistaken for an inferior guitar. When I play a Heritage guitar out in public, I want the public to know the choice I have made for a superior built guitar and I am proud to play Heritage. Those in the know, know Heritage is a better guitar and we as Heritage owners are proud of the Headstock as it symbolizes superior craftsmanship, materials, time and the love of the instrument. It is a long heritage of Quality.

I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I feel compelled to..First off..top quality work on your part, Scott..Just excellent!! But, it hurts me to my heart to see a beautiful Heritage guitar turned into what I consider a "Frankenstein" guitar..Gibson chose to leave Kalamazoo for their own reasons, and our gang stayed behind to keep the "Heritage" of quality luthiery alive and well..Don't get me wrong, I own and play a Gibson Les Paul, but to take a Heritage and turn it into that really hurts me..Once again beautiful work, but I think you made a mistake..My 2 cents, and your mileage may vary..Scott

OK . . . so, regarding my assumption that no one would be upset or offended by the head stock change . . I was wrr . . I was wrrr . . .I was wrrrr . . . let's just say it was not an accurate assumption. However, I think that some of are being just a little hard on this newbie. What he did, many others before him would have also done, if they had the skills to do so. There are many of us here on HOC who started out actually offended by such a "different" type of a head stock design sitting on top of such a great piece of craftsmanship. I was one of those who would have crafted my own head stock on my first Heritage . . . but, I don't even hit nails straight in a board. That was before I fully understood. I've since come to love the head stock. As I said, Scott acted before he fully understood and appreciated what the head stock represents. He'll come around. He'll get other Heritage guitars and proudly sport their original head stock. Hell . . . he may even eventually change this one back. Lord knows he's skillful enough to do so.

I do, however, agree that Marv, Jim, Vince, JP, Bill and all the crew at Parsons Street would be aghast, offended and angered.

OK . . . so, regarding my assumption that no one would be upset or offended by the head stock change . . I was wrr . . I was wrrr . . .I was wrrrr . . . let's just say it was not an accurate assumption. However, I think that some of are being just a little hard on this newbie. What he did, many others before him would have also done, if they had the skills to do so. There are many of us here on HOC who started out actually offended by such a "different" type of a head stock design sitting on top of such a great piece of craftsmanship. I was one of those who would have crafted my own head stock on my first Heritage . . . but, I don't even hit nails straight in a board. That was before I fully understood. I've since come to love the head stock. As I said, Scott acted before he fully understood and appreciated what the head stock represents. He'll come around. He'll get other Heritage guitars and proudly sport their original head stock. Hell . . . he may even eventually change this one back. Lord knows he's skillful enough to do so.

I do, however, agree that Marv, Jim, Vince, JP, Bill and all the crew at Parsons Street would be aghast, offended and angered.

Its about time you chimed in. What took you so long?

Well, it seems I did exactly what I did not intend to do. So, I hope I can explain my reasoning.

I am not trying to boast, but you must realize that I have built several extremely high end LP replicas. The ones I have built go far beyond any Gibson historic/VOS. Mine are replicas to the finest detail. The guitars I build would be considered way beyond a Heritage or a Gibson. (I know some of you might be mad to hear me say that) You might wonder why I don't just stick with my own guitars rather than get a Heritage? The answer is obvious. Because I love the guitar, where it was made, and who made it.

Now, let me explain specifically my reasoning behind the headstock change. Far from being an insult to Heritage. I view it as the highest form of praise to Heritage and a complete slam against Gibson. I view Heritage as the TRUE Gibson. So, I gave my Heritage an open-book headstock (the hallmark of Gibson) as a way of saying: "This is a real LP". In fact, that is why I bought it.... because it is the real LP (and that is why I put the name "The Heritage" on it!). So, I really think you have my intentions turned completely upside down.

This is not about me wanting a guitar that looks like a Gibson. It's about me having a piece of the real mojo of the 58-60 LP Standard. For YEARS Gibson has been hounding people about copying their headstock.... Well, whose copying who? That is my statement in changing my headstock. :icon_thumright:

Its about time you chimed in. What took you so long?

Hi Mark: You must have missed my earlier post, at 9:28 on this thread. I was the 4th one to respond. I was hoping that others would read my post before beating up on this newbie. Don't you just love the head stock controversy????? This poor guy had no idea the can of worms he was opening up. But in fairness to him (he seems to be a nice enough guy) I think his knee jerk reaction to the head stock is nothing new to us. We've just never really seen anyone who can actually change it the way he did. He would have much better of going to some sort of an avant garde design than such a knock off of Gibson. By the way . . . I loved the Ferrari - Lamborghini comparison.

There was a fantastic post on another forum a while back where a guy in the middle east recreated a burst in a start to finish build thread of the most accurate detail. It would be interesting to get his take on how faithfully a 150 comes to his present day "grail" vs a Gibson Historic. Should the only appreciable difference be color/fad, hardware and headstock, that would be just a super appreciation for Heritage. We can change the hardware and the headstock was an improvement.

Well, it seems I did exactly what I did not intend to do. So, I hope I can explain my reasoning.

I am not trying to boast, but you must realize that I have built several extremely high end LP replicas. The ones I have built go far beyond any Gibson historic/VOS. Mine are replicas to the finest detail. The guitars I build would be considered way beyond a Heritage or a Gibson. (I know some of you might be mad to hear me say that) You might wonder why I don't just stick with my own guitars rather than get a Heritage? The answer is obvious. Because I love the guitar, where it was made, and who made it.

Now, let me explain specifically my reasoning behind the headstock change. Far from being an insult to Heritage. I view it as the highest form of praise to Heritage and a complete slam against Gibson. I view Heritage as the TRUE Gibson. So, I gave my Heritage an open-book headstock (the hallmark of Gibson) as a way of saying: "This is a real LP". In fact, that is why I bought it.... because it is the real LP (and that is why I put the name "The Heritage" on it!). So, I really think you have my intentions turned completely upside down.

This is not about me wanting a guitar that looks like a Gibson. It's about me having a piece of the real mojo of the 58-60 LP Standard. For YEARS Gibson has been hounding people about copying their headstock.... Well, whose copying who? That is my statement in changing my headstock. :icon_thumright:

Good argument. I just think "it" is all the things you have said. However, I do not think it is the headstock that makes it a Real Les Paul, its the heritage. The beliefs, values and commitment to being the best without compromising what you believe in and being true to who and what you are, The Heritage. Though I disagree with the headstock modification, I completely understand your position and welcome you as One who does appreciate "the guitar", in to the family of proud Heritage owners. I also am impressed with your work and hope you will stay in the family a long time. I'm sure we will all benefit from your knowledge and experience as we all share our knowledge and experiences.

Well, this REALLY upsets and depresses me. That is the LAST thing I would EVER want to do. In fact, I put my Heritage serial number on the back.

009-4.jpg?t=1289929588

Really guys, this was meant as a compliment. I am sorry to have angered any one you. Please accept my sincere apologies. And if Marv, Jim, Vince, JP, Bill any of the crew at Parsons Street ever get wind of this, please let them know that I meant it as a complement to them.

Sincerely, Scott

Scott; as you've seen, I've tried to soften the reaction to what some here consider to be the disfiguring of a perfectly good instrument. Unfortunately, I think your explanation of why you did it may even be interpreted as more offensive that the actual head stock transformation itself.

Well, this REALLY upsets and depresses me. That is the LAST thing I would EVER want to do. In fact, I put my Heritage serial number on the back.

009-4.jpg?t=1289929588

Really guys, this was meant as a compliment. I am sorry to have angered any one you. Please accept my sincere apologies. And if Marv, Jim, Vince, JP, Bill any of the crew at Parsons Street ever get wind of this, please let them know that I meant it as a complement to them.

Sincerely, Scott

Dont be upset or depressed. No one here can speak for the guys at Heritage. I cant even begin know to what they would think about your mods or any of the posts on this thread. It really is your guitar to do what you want.

Youve done great work. Be happy about it. I would be.

There was a fantastic post on another forum a while back where a guy in the middle east recreated a burst in a start to finish build thread of the most accurate detail. It would be interesting to get his take on how faithfully a 150 comes to his present day "grail" vs a Gibson Historic. Should the only appreciable difference be color/fad, hardware and headstock, that would be just a super appreciation for Heritage. We can change the hardware and the headstock was an improvement.

Spectrum . . . they are different guitars in more ways than hardware and head stock design. They are dimensionally different . . . the 150 is smaller, the neck tenons are different, the top carve (dish) is different, the cut away is different. The things that make an original '59 burst can all be replicated to perfection . . . as that guy you referenced in Israel did, and as Scott probably does. What can never be replicated is the mojo and the vibe that one gets from having a "real" one. If Heritage chose to replicate to 100% accuracy the 1959 burst, they could do so pretty easily. That was not their intention. They wanted to make a Heritage LP shaped guitar and they did so. The nice thing about the 150s, is that they vary all over the board as much as the original '59s did. I think that's the character we all love.

i apologize for being so hard on the newbie..It's just an emotional subject that's all..Scott, please accept my apologies..I will try to control my tongue next time..As you were..

Archived