Heritage Owners Club

My H-150 Gets a Makeover

ExNihilo

I was not trying to boast. I only said that because that is what those who have bought my guitars say. I do realize it sounds like boasting.... Again, not my intent.

I think perhaps it would be best that I just not post here anymore. It seems everything I say here ends up going the wrong way.

I just want you to know that I love and respect Heritage guitars. I am a happy and proud owner of one. And I am sorry to have ruffled feathers.

Sincerely, Scott

Scott,

I hope you decide to stick around. I, for one, would really like to see your finished project regarding the Heritage guitar. My feeling is that you definitely have the skill and talent to do what you want; so do it.

From what you've shown so far I believe that to be true - boasting or not.

Don't let the detractors get you down.

Personally I find it very interesting and educational.

conorb

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap, I was going to add a bone nut. I guess you've given this some thought (there is a surprise). That sounds like what I want too. Can I use this? Also, as a fan of TonePros, check out the new Kluson locking tuners, I want those too. And by the way, Heritage will do the Bumble Bees and CTS pots, just in case you don't want to ship it all over the place (RS Guitar Works). I know they are good but I think I would rather have it done at the factory.

But of course they will!!!

Just send them the pickups you want (obviously they won't charge you for pickups). Then order RS guitar works bumblebee caps, pots, ect (you can have RS send them straight to the factory or you can send the RS stuff in yourself).

If you are nice to Heritage, explain your build to them, tell them you are a HOC member, ect.... THEY MIGHT EVEN ORDER THE PARTS FOR YOU AND THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO NOTHING BUT TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT!!! (I can't promise this, they might make you order your own custom stuff, but they WILL install it for you and you won't have to pay for any of their pickups, pots, caps, ect).

Heritage is just great for custom builds!!!

BUT PATRICK, I THINK YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK ON THE LONG TENDON... They said before "it is unnecessary and when was the last time you say one of our guitars with an unstable neck? A long tendon does nothing for tone." -Ren Wall

Also take note that none of the well-known and respected luthiers comment on his threads. The comments all come from guys who love what they see, but don’t have the building knowledge to see what he’s really doing is amateur at best.

I just wanted to point out that this statement is untrue. I did a quick search through his threads and saw that Greg from BCR music has commented on his threads and he is one of the most respected people on the forum.

If he provides anything like he has for MLP, Scott will be a nice addition to your forum and I am glad to see that ye are accepting of him

But of course they will!!!

Just send them the pickups you want (obviously they won't charge you for pickups). Then order RS guitar works bumblebee caps, pots, ect (you can have RS send them straight to the factory or you can send the RS stuff in yourself).

If you are nice to Heritage, explain your build to them, tell them you are a HOC member, ect.... THEY MIGHT EVEN ORDER THE PARTS FOR YOU AND THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO NOTHING BUT TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT!!! (I can't promise this, they might make you order your own custom stuff, but they WILL install it for you and you won't have to pay for any of their pickups, pots, caps, ect).

Heritage is just great for custom builds!!!

BUT PATRICK, I THINK YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK ON THE LONG TENDON... They said before "it is unnecessary and when was the last time you say one of our guitars with an unstable neck? A long tendon does nothing for tone." -Ren Wall

Kuz: Regarding the long tenon ...."don't doubt me"!! (that's a Rush Limbaugh term that I just love to use ... especially when applicable) Aside from the smaller size of the 150 vs the true to spec '58 - '60 Pauls . . the change away from the long tenon is the only significant change they've made. I, for one, want it back!! I love ol' Ren Wall, but other than to theorize, how would he know for certain that the longer tenon doesn't enhance the tone? Ren does what he does . . . and he does it as good as anyone and better than most. He's not a master luthier. The subject of the long tenon vs the shorter one, has been discussed to death by master luthiers who are far more knowledgeable than Ren on this particular issue. While the majority of them seem to believe that it does enhance the tone, it's only a small majority. Many master luthiers still believe that it doesn't and thereby agree with Ren. So, conclusion . . . no one knows for sure. But that's the way they used to build them . . . and that's the way I want mine. Without going into specific detail, I interface with the owners quite frequently on business other than Heritage building guitars for me. I've gotten to know Jim, Marv, Vince, Bill and Ren very well over the past 6 months. There is VERY little that they won't do for their loyal customers... such as we here on HOC. The only thing that I'm sure will bring out an immediate and flat refusal . . . . you guessed it ... changing the head stock design. They have done it in the past . . . but they will not do it in the future.

Guest HRB853370

I'm taking a real chance here, because ol' skinslammer said I wasn't allowed to keep this post alive ... (Hi Will ;))

But, Mark, if you were to get the guys at Heritage to custom build you an H150 . . . with all they can do, as you said , , then you find someone with Scott's talents, you still wouldn't have the Ultimate '59 Les Paul Burst. You would have an undoubtedly fantastic guitar . . . but it would still be a Heritage 150 . . . with Les Paul appointments. Buy the way . . . isn't that where this thread began???

P

Hope you knew I was kiddin wit ya-what I really meant was, lets end the part of the thread bashing everybody. It kinda looks like this thread has taken on a new life and a new topic anyhow.

Guest HRB853370

Hi Will. There are somethings I just can't sweep under the rug ... it's one of my many character flaws. Redking's attack on our HOC and it's people warranted a harsh response. The profanity I used is regrettable. No one was disrespectful to Scott. Some of us disagreed, and still do. But that disagreement was done within reason. Kuz termed one of Scott's statements as arrogant. I think that was a result of a misinterpretation of that statement. However, Kuz wasn't disrespectful . . . just opinionated. Mark (NoNameBand) was also strongly opinionated, but in a professional and respectful way. Scott altered his guitar to make it something he wanted it to be. It's his guitar and it's his prerogative. However, he posted it here, undoubtedly to solicit feed back. We gave him feed back. It wasn't what he expected . . . . in fact, I think it blew him away. But, it was our heart felt opinions and feed back. No knee jerk reactions at all . . . except for mine towards Redkings initial post. My tirade wasn't at all acting like "school children". It was that of a seriously pissed off adult. We've all been there.

I can relate to passion Patrick, and also, somebody calling someone else a "Douchebag" for no apparent reason. That would piss me off too. Sometimes its hard to restrain. I was not dissing you, just making a comment. All is well here on the HOC forum. Ya'll are great.

P

Hope you knew I was kiddin wit ya-what I really meant was, lets end the part of the thread bashing everybody. It kinda looks like this thread has taken on a new life and a new topic anyhow.

No prob Will . . . . I was just kiddin' right back at-cha

Does anyone want to talk about Guitars? Does anyone have anything interesting to say? I'm bored.

Does anyone want to talk about Guitars? Does anyone have anything interesting to say? I'm bored.

Be careful what you ask for!! The last time I started the infamous . . . "I'm bored" thread" . .there was a Jihad. However, I did just open a bottle of 1994 Merryvale Profile to enjoy with dinner this evening. It's open, breathing and I'm going to decant it at about 5:45. My wife made a gorgeous Osso Bucco with a Porcini Risotto. The Merryvale should go well with it. Oh . . . . I'm sorry . . . did you want to discuss guitars?? Maybe after dinner . . . or after the Cohiba Esplendido that will follow dinner.

Guest mgoetting

Yeah.

I think we passed "bored" about 10 miles back.

Sorry about this reprint of my earlier post. My PC locked up and I had to hit re-do and it did.

well, the thread does prompt the question, "Who designed the original Les Paul?", meaning the body and such we've all come to know & love...

By the way, I have noticed a fair few new members of the club have come as a result of this thread, so to you guys here for the first time, welcome and hello, nice to have you with us, we hope you stick around, enjoy what you find and join in. Nice to have you with us.

"50 Years Of The Gibson Les Paul" by Tony Bacon . . . . Backbeat Books. Read all about it.

nope. it doesn't. 'fact, it sez the more oppositer...

apropos of the OP, tho, it does say that Les Paul mod'd all his Gibsons...;)

i should probably narrow the question a bit, "who came up with the body shape, as in, like, silhouette?" as Patrick notes, that book ascribes the design to quite a few people...a collaborative effort

I understand he might have changed a knob or two.

large_lespaul.JPG

One thing that Les believed in strongly were the low impedance pickups. He felt they had much better range... more "hi fi" sounding.

I understand he might have changed a knob or two.

One thing that Les believed in strongly were the low impedance pickups. He felt they had much better range... more "hi fi" sounding.

slab tops, too,

Kuz: Regarding the long tenon ...."don't doubt me"!! (that's a Rush Limbaugh term that I just love to use ... especially when applicable) Aside from the smaller size of the 150 vs the true to spec '58 - '60 Pauls . . the change away from the long tenon is the only significant change they've made. I, for one, want it back!! I love ol' Ren Wall, but other than to theorize, how would he know for certain that the longer tenon doesn't enhance the tone? Ren does what he does . . . and he does it as good as anyone and better than most. He's not a master luthier. The subject of the long tenon vs the shorter one, has been discussed to death by master luthiers who are far more knowledgeable than Ren on this particular issue. While the majority of them seem to believe that it does enhance the tone, it's only a small majority. Many master luthiers still believe that it doesn't and thereby agree with Ren. So, conclusion . . . no one knows for sure. But that's the way they used to build them . . . and that's the way I want mine. Without going into specific detail, I interface with the owners quite frequently on business other than Heritage building guitars for me. I've gotten to know Jim, Marv, Vince, Bill and Ren very well over the past 6 months. There is VERY little that they won't do for their loyal customers... such as we here on HOC. The only thing that I'm sure will bring out an immediate and flat refusal . . . . you guessed it ... changing the head stock design. They have done it in the past . . . but they will not do it in the future.

Just curious, Patrick; none of my friggin' business, and not to be rude, but you seem to have impeccable taste in food, wine, cigars and guitars, all of which require signifigant means. No need to get too specific, as I know you are concerned about identity theft, but what is it that you do, um... DO?!

Just curious, Patrick; none of my friggin' business, and not to be rude, but you seem to have impeccable taste in food, wine, cigars and guitars, all of which require signifigant means. No need to get too specific, as I know you are concerned about identity theft, but what is it that you do, um... DO?!

Not at all a rude question. I'm a business man. Nothing more . . . nothing less.

Not at all a rude question. I'm a business man. Nothing more . . . nothing less.

Nothing poisonal. It's just Bidness..............

Archived