Heritage Owners Club

NGD

Patrick

It arrived today. Scott told me that no one packs a guitar better than he does . . . and he was correct! He was also correct when he told me that it looked even better in person than it did in the pics. It is not in mint condition and it was not represented as such. It has some very slight markings here and there, but nothing even worthy of mention. I would grade it as a 9.25 out of 10 condition. The neck is perfectly true . . the frets are impeccably leveled, almost seems like it was Plek'd . . but I doubt that it was. The shading on the top is just gorgeous. A little more red in the sunset sun burst than my Golden Eagle has . . . but the wider top handles it well, as there is still a significant amount of yellow left in the center. The only two flaws I see are; the split block position marker at the 5th fret is slightly less than perfectly straight . . . .and the P90 neck pup is slightly less than perfectly perpendicular to the fret board. It plays beautifully and it sounds great acoustically . . . which really surprises me due to the 2 mounted pups and the thicker sound board. Scott told me that the original owner informed him that Ren said he was going to align the pups so that the dog ears screwed into the parallel bracing so that the top would "ring" better and move more air. I checked the underside of the sound board with a mirror . . . and dammed if ol' Ren didn't hit the bracing dead nuts on. Maybe that's why one pup is slightly off? All I know is that it sounds wonderful. I won't get a chance to play it electrically until this weekend . . . but this one is definitely a remarkable guitar and a keeper.

Your description sounds great. That one should be quite enjoyable, I love when they have a great acoustic sound.

And the great fretwork is a relief , when buying one without playing it.

Now , let me get you started with the pics thing... you know that's what everyone's going to ask for...... it looks great.

p-90%20super%20eagle.jpg

Patrick, what a great pair of bookends. Congratulations on another fine acquisition. I hope you fall in love.

Patrick, what a great pair of bookends. Congratulations on another fine acquisition. I hope you fall in love.

Thanks Mark. I've only had it for 1 day, but, I have already fallen in love with it. Hard to explain, but, it already feels like an old gigging partner for me. It's truly a great guitar. Later today, I'll plug it in to my Fender amp and take the P90s for a little stroll . . . see how they sound on a big body arch top.

Thanks Mark. I've only had it for 1 day, but, I have already fallen in love with it. Hard to explain, but, it already feels like an old gigging partner for me. It's truly a great guitar. Later today, I'll plug it in to my Fender amp and take the P90s for a little stroll . . . see how they sound on a big body arch top.

I have a '52 Vega Archtop, curly maple top, sides and back with P-90s. I love it acoustically as well as through my '55 Fender Tweed Deluxe. I'm sure you will too.

post-2180-099018900 1291393572_thumb.jpg

I have a '52 Vega Archtop, curly maple top, sides and back with P-90s. I love it acoustically as well as through my '55 Fender Tweed Deluxe. I'm sure you will too.

I can just picture some old Italian looking guy with a Perodi hanging out of his mouth playing great bop lines out of that box. Heck . . . I think I just described Joe Pass!!! Nice looking guitar Mark. How do you find the master volume knob working for you?

[quote name='Patrick' timestamp='1291392428' post='133071'

Later today, I'll plug it in to my Fender amp and take the P90s for a little stroll . . . see how they sound on a big body arch top.

I predict you'll be surprised. How? You'll tell us. Can't wait for that response.... :icon_thumleft:

I can just picture some old Italian looking guy with a Perodi hanging out of his mouth playing great bop lines out of that box. Heck . . . I think I just described Joe Pass!!! Nice looking guitar Mark. How do you find the master volume knob working for you?

In its original state, a good cut-off but not really good as a Master Volume as it rolls off the highs around 7-8. I've been thinking about looking in to having the "volume mod" done to it to see if it helps in the Master Volume the same way it does in the individual Pup volume. I've not heard any test results on that yet. It is a great guitar though. Loud and clear. Smooth amplified. The best neck and action of any guitar I own, very low action with NO buzz, I'm sure Vince would approve. Humidity seems to have no effect on it as well. The neck never moves summer - winter. I use Gibson L-5 (12-56) Pure Nickel strings. I have tried a few other brands/gauges and I like them the best on this guitar. I think the thing that stands out with this guitar is the clarity of tone and sustain from top to bottom. When I was at the factory for PSPIII, I mentioned it to Marv and he was quite impressed and very familiar with the guitar and acknowledged that it was very rare and wonderful guitar. When I look through my collection, I am so thankful to have what I have if I never get anything else, I have done well. Thank you for the kind words.

Welcome to the 18"er club! Your membership jacket is in the mail (see the popular mechanics shipping survey thread for details!).

Well thank you Mr. ingeneri. I've been a fan of 18" arch tops for quite some time now. Regarding the membership jacket . . . my discipline at the table and in the gym has been . . . let's just say . . . less that stellar. As such, an extra large might be in order. Now that I think about it, it's close to Christmas time . . . might need a 2XL by January ;)

Congratulations, Patrick. That is one gorgeous Super you got there.

I totally understand the almost instant emotional attachment you refer to with these archtops. To me they are so lively, it is as if they are speaking to you with their own sonic voice. And what a voice!

Can't wait to read your review of this one. You might find yourself adjusting the EQ on your amp (less treble) and slightly backing off the guitar's volume to get the sweet spot of those P90's.

Play it in good health.

p-90%20super%20eagle.jpg

Congratulations, Patrick. That is one gorgeous Super you got there.

I totally understand the almost instant emotional attachment you refer to with these archtops. To me they are so lively, it is as if they are speaking to you with their own sonic voice. And what a voice!

Can't wait to read your review of this one. You might find yourself adjusting the EQ on your amp (less treble) and slightly backing off the guitar's volume to get the sweet spot of those P90's.

Play it in good health.

p-90%20super%20eagle.jpg

Thank you Mr. Gitfiddler.. .and all the rest of you as well. I'm just a real sucker for a beautiful arch top.

I predict you'll be surprised. How? You'll tell us. Can't wait for that response.... :icon_thumleft:

Like I was surprised when I strummed it in the dive we stayed at the first PSP. The loudest acoustic ever. No amp just acoustic tone. Adding P-90s to the mix is just piling on. It ain't fair.

img_0961_std.jpg

Archived