Heritage Owners Club

What Were the Origins of the H-150 Design?

Gitfiddler

After checking out the latest 'new' LP model from Gibson, (Clapton Beano Model LP) I was struck by the similarity to the features on the early H-150's.

* Slim Taper Neck Profile

* Grover Tuners

* Memphis style ABR Bridge

Gibson Clapton Beano LP

Aside from the unbelievable Gibson pricing on this and many other Historic LP's, it caused me to ask this question...

Did the boys from Heritage model their 150 after the 50's or 60's or later LP Standard design, pulling what they determined to be the best of the best for the design?

Why didn't they consider some of the more historically correct features of the earliest LP's? Was that even a consideration?

Looking at the Beano model, it drives the point home that Heritage has nailed the essence of the design, and improved on it in my opinion.

What do you think?

yeah, just saw those Beano guits this a.m. Dave's is selling one edition of 'em @ $6000.

hope Clapton keeps one & plays it out. through a Marshall 1962 combo, 'course. cranked.

re the early H-150s, they had the more LPish body cuts, too

After checking out the latest 'new' LP model from Gibson, (Clapton Beano Model LP) I was struck by the similarity to the features on the early H-150's.

* Grover Tuners

Gibson Clapton Beano LP

What do you think?

He what the link says:

Gibson Custom

The Eric Clapton

1960 "Beano" Les Paul Standard

Extremely Limited Quantities!

Sandwiched between The Yardbirds and Cream, 1967's John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton was a showcase for the brilliant 21-year-old guitarist turned deity. For this record, Clapton picked up a 1960 Les Paul Standard, plugged it into a Marshall tube amplifier, and proceeded to set the music world on fire. The sound Clapton created helped define not only the cutting edge blues-rock of the day, but its powerful, fat sound has influenced generations of guitar players ever since!

Eric Clapton played some of his most innovative phrasing and countless pioneering licks while using this Les Paul. Unfortunately, the guitar was stolen at an early Cream rehearsal causing many fans to miss the signature sound Eric created with this exceptional Les Paul. Fortunately for us, Gibson Custom and Eric Clapton have come together for a historic collaboration this year to recreate a tribute to his original guitar. Based on feedback and recollections from Clapton, this guitar has all of the features that Clapton prefers including a special thin 1960 "Eric Clapton" neck profile, Grover tuners, and custom pickups.

Musician's Friend Private Reserve will have very limited quantities of all three versions; Murphy Aged and Signed by Eric Clapton, Murphy Aged, and VOS (Vintage Original Spec). All come with special collectible packages, certificate, and a Gibson Custom hardshell case silkscreened with Eric's signature.

-------------------------------------------------

This is marketing. One of the principles of good marketing is that it helps to have a good product. They have. What irks me is the story they tell. It's as if Clapton lost his guitar and was screwed ever since. But now Gibson is remedying this and even offering others the same guitar.

Another way to tell the story doesn't flatter Gibson. Clapton chose the Strat as his primary instrument. He could have replaced his Gibson as his primary guitar but didn't. Forever.

Clapton achieved his deity status while using a LP, a 335 and a Strat. It most definitely was not the guitar that made his a star. It's what he did with the guitars, all of them.

And to Gitfiddler's point, yes, the H150 is perfect. At least perfect enough. The H170 allows me a little easier access to the highest frets. However I noticed on Gary Moore's most recent video that he had no difficulty dancing on the 22nd fret.

The neck taper may be the most idiosyncratic part of the guitar as far as preference. Somehow I was born indifferent. Fat or slim, they all get the job done for me. I believe it's a blessing to be oblivious to the differences, and I'm grateful to be one of the few spared. It's the action that stands out to me, as far as playing goes. I hate high actions.

not to overlook the SG. EC looked at lotsa guitars between '66 and '71 or so. said on several occasions he'd never found another Les Paul like the '60. no surprise there. there weren't all that many & even fewer in the UK. the strat he ended up with was cobbled together from several he picked up (in Nashville?). others followed.

dang, there's one on e-bay already ($7500 BIN)

H-150: when did the Schaller hardware first appear?

Guest HRB853370

* Grover Tuners

Gibson Clapton Beano LP

Aside from the unbelievable Gibson pricing on this and many other Historic LP's, it caused me to ask this question...

Did the boys from Heritage model their 150 after the 50's or 60's or later LP Standard design, pulling what they determined to be the best of the best for the design?

Why didn't they consider some of the more historically correct features of the earliest LP's? Was that even a consideration?

Looking at the Beano model, it drives the point home that Heritage has nailed the essence of the design, and improved on it in my opinion.

What do you think?

Sounds like it's a "GAS" of a guitar!

This is marketing. One of the principles of good marketing is that it helps to have a good product. They have. What irks me is the story they tell. It's as if Clapton lost his guitar and was screwed ever since. But now Gibson is remedying this and even offering others the same guitar.

Another way to tell the story doesn't flatter Gibson. Clapton chose the Strat as his primary instrument. He could have replaced his Gibson as his primary guitar but didn't. Forever.

Clapton achieved his deity status while using a LP, a 335 and a Strat. It most definitely was not the guitar that made his a star. It's what he did with the guitars, all of them.

Clapton has played a lot of instruments, but in the "Clapton is God" days, they were primarily Gibsons. He didn't move to the Strat until 70 when he did Layla. That's a period of 5 years or so.

gui_es335.gifclaptonSG.jpg

23621900_232a1dd653.jpgericClaptonMM76.jpg

In the end, you hit the nail on the head. He's got a style that says "Clapton" not matter what he plays.

overpriced craziness, anyone who buys one of them is nuts IMO

Clapton & everyone else made all that amazing music on standard guitars

it's the talent & music that matters, more than the gear

-->back to the original question...I believe Heritage started out making other models, and only came up with the H150 due to demand? correct me if I'm wrong?

obviously everyone would want a LP style gtr made in Kalamazoo, by the masters...all the ingredients are there in the 150

imagine if Gibson didn't have the disparate Les Paul models they do...the "standard" models, and the elite marketed hype-up custom shop stuff, and all these high falootin' limited runs

what if they just made ALL their guitars to the same high standard of quality?

isn't that the way it should be?

I believe that's what Heritage does already...

imagine if Gibson didn't have the disparate Les Paul models they do. What if they just made ALL their guitars to the same high standard of quality?

I believe that's what Heritage does already...

+1

There's a really interesting question buried in all this EC love/hate. What was the driving reason behind creating an LP shape closer to the Gib model, when the 'zoo already had the H140 going? And what did they use as specs? Very good, Mark. Another bit we could query at the next PSP.

Here's a screen capture of the Model History from the 'zoo web, up to '88.

post-220-075430500 1293111276_thumb.jpg

Story around the family is that Marvin personally delivered a Heritage to Clapton in the very early beginnings of Heritage. The model I am unsure of but an LP type would make sense. So... it may be possible that when this model was being pitched Clapton just pulled out that old Heritage and said "like this." ;)

Clapton has played a lot of instruments, but in the "Clapton is God" days, they were primarily Gibsons. He didn't move to the Strat until 70 when he did Layla. That's a period of 5 years or so.

In the end, you hit the nail on the head. He's got a style that says "Clapton" not matter what he plays.

the pic with the Explorer is from the '70's, but that rememberates me, the one time i saw him (w/Cream, San Jose, '68) he played a Firebird I

Concert for Bangladesh:

george-harrison-eric-clapton007.jpg

Hard to tell, but I think this one is the Firebird:

eric_clapton_cream.gif

With a 335, John and Keef, can't remember who that is on drums:

Dirty_Mac_Web980px.jpg

Now here's the Firebird;

undertaker.jpg

A (gulp) Tele, in Blind Faith no less

rubbish-group-blind-faith.jpg

Yes, the Clapton "Beano" Les Paul is pure Gbrand marketing.

There's a really interesting question buried in all this EC love/hate. What was the driving reason behind creating an LP shape closer to the Gib model, when the 'zoo already had the H140 going?

Schmucks like me. :icon_thumright:

Actually, I am kind of serious about that though. I actually WANT the extra thickness just because I'm a bass-response junkie. By all rights, I should probably play baritone guitar, and have actually seriously thought about getting one, just because tonally I think it would be something that really fit my tastes. I just want to stack the decks in favor of a thicker, rounder, fatter, bassier sounding guitar. Personally, I'm not chasing any tone and don't care if I sound just like anybody else. In fact, I'd prefer to have my own sound and sort of build it based on what I like. However, getting back to the point, I think some people like me either worry about losing that bit of bass/low-end in the sound, or the round, jazzy, mellowness of the high-end. Call it a creaminess if you will. Or they worry they might not be quite as close to some dream sound (which doesn't really concern me directly, but I think is still out there, and indirectly I do probably have that tone/range in my head from certain guitarists).

Perhaps everybody on this board already knows the answer to this but me, but I can't figure out why Heritage doesn't make the equivalent of a Gibson R9... long neck tenon, bumblebees, Klusons, the same "averaged" vintage body shape that Tom Murphy and Gibson developed.

Such an item, built by hand in Kalamazoo, could sell at an R9 price. The purists would then have to decide whether they would rather have a Nashville machine guitar or a Kalamzoo handmade one.

Perhaps Heritage and Gibson have agreed not to do such a thing. Certainly a lot more could be made of the "authenticity" of Heritage guitars than is currently done.

The most amusing of the reissues, to me, is the new Randy Rhoads '71 LP Custom. Not only is that not exactly a high point in Gibson history, it's almost certainly a guitar that Heritage would be far more qualified to make.

Perhaps everybody on this board already knows the answer to this but me, but I can't figure out why Heritage doesn't make the equivalent of a Gibson R9... long neck tenon, bumblebees, Klusons, the same "averaged" vintage body shape that Tom Murphy and Gibson developed.

Such an item, built by hand in Kalamazoo, could sell at an R9 price. The purists would then have to decide whether they would rather have a Nashville machine guitar or a Kalamzoo handmade one.

Perhaps Heritage and Gibson have agreed not to do such a thing. Certainly a lot more could be made of the "authenticity" of Heritage guitars than is currently done.

I agree and to take it a step further, that is probably what most people order from heritage when the do order one. I would.

back to the OP, i largely agree. i think the biggest improvement is in making such a great guitar so affordable. the greatness part is due to history, skills, materials; the affordable part to focus (guitars only) & not-marketing (expensive)

Not to offend any vintage guitar enthusiasts here, but my guess is that the Heritage founders don't obsess over the details of 1950s guitars the way some of us out here in TV Land do. Remember, they were there at the creation. A 1959 burst LP was "just another day at the office" for them.

From the start, the Heritage credo always seems to have to been about taking the basic Gibson designs, manufacturing them with higher quality, and adding improvements where possible. In the mid '80s, the Schaller hardware and electronics were an upgrade over what Gibson was using at the time. The H-140 was a way to get a more-or-less LP tone in a more lightweight and comfortable guitar. The Heritage jazz boxes have always had distinctive features from the old Gibson designs.

The H-150 didn't appear until the late '80s, and must have been produced in response to the renewed interest in Les Pauls around that time. When Heritage started a few years before that, Gibson dealers couldn't give away Les Pauls (I know, because I got killer deals on used ones back then). When Slash came along and made LP Standards a hot commodity again, it was natural for Heritage to produce a similar instrument.

As for the "non-vintage" features like short neck tenons, my guess is that the Heritage founders don't place much stock in that stuff. Remember, they were the same guys who shortened the neck tenon on the '70s Les Pauls in the first place, along with adding new features like volutes and maple necks etc. And, for the record, I agree with them. The thing with long neck tenons is pure 100% collector snobbery. I've never noticed it to make a single bit of difference. Lumber and build quality make all the difference, and that's what makes Heritage special for me. Who gives a rip if it doesn't look exactly like [insert rock star's name]'s favorite guitar?

Archived