Heritage Owners Club

5E3 amp build project

H

The grill cloth on the rear panels looks great - I'm surprised no company has thought of doing that.

The Epi Valve Jr Head has a metal grill on the back that prevents you from accessing the tubes. The back plate is so tight, I had to pry off the panel to reseat the tubes.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Epi Valve Jr Head has a metal grill on the back that prevents you from accessing the tubes. The back plate is so tight, I had to pry off the panel to reseat the tubes.

I was thinking more in terms of using the same grill cloth to cover the wooden panels (as H has done) rather than just having a grill at the rear. It's the sort of thing a custom cabinet maker might be able to do, though it obviously works best if the grill cloth contrasts with the main cabinet material (tolex, polished hardwood etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, as I've recently decided to have KBP810 build me a 5E3, Tweed Deluxe, and Howard was good enough to direct me to this build thread, I would like to officially resurrect this thread! It's a long read, but I urge you all to take the time to see how Howard made this thing happen! Everything from the leather Mesa-style carrying handle to the custom cover to the original backing on the amp with some of the Beatles musical scores attached to it got me more and more excited about my own amp being built. I somehow overlooked it as it developed last year, probably because I didn't even know what a 5E3 WAS at that point! haha. That said, I wouldn't dream of ever tackling something like this; I had a hard enough time reattaching the toilet's chain to the flushing handle tonight! (true story.) Howard did a great job on his amp, and, having SEEN KBP's woodworking skills and precise looking wiring work, and having HEARD his amps, I can't help knowing that I am going to be totally blown away by the amp he makes for me. Thanks again, Howard, for helping to inspire me to have one of these classic amps done, and thanks KBP for doing it!

You're going to have a lot of fun with it :) This amp and a Tele can keep me amused for a long time!

I'll PM you some great tips passed to me by FXDX99 relating to channel blending, etc. Start saving for an ABY switch and a good clean boost. My personal favourite is the T-Rex Twin Boost which allows you to dial out some of the mids.

Finally, note that I undertook my 5E3 project without any prior woodworking skills and minimal electronics experience. By being careful, researching fully and taking one's time, a lot of things are attainable. Even toilet chains ;)

Archived