Heritage Owners Club

5E3 amp build project

H

Thanks to everyone who followed the build. I've had great fun making this amp and now I'll have great fun playing it :)

eb97e834.jpg

At 200 responses, I declare this topic closed :)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, Howard! Well done! The 535, normal, sounded really nice, and the amp is very handsome! Great project, well chronicled! Ooops! Just saw the "thread closed" post. So sue me.... ; )

I figured that if this thread were to overtake mars_hall's 'enough said music' thread, I'd have to write something that would make HOCers want to comment further ;)

A few more posts for parity!

That amp is beautiful, goes well with the Tele. I love the H logo as well. Maybe you should register it as a trade mark in case you want to start a cottage industry.

It's a Mexican-built FSR (Fender Special Run) with a reversed control plate. Three piece body but that's difficult to tell from the front.

I swapped the ashtray out for a six saddle variant but it's stock aside from that. Easy to intonate now :)

Thanks to everyone who followed the build. I've had great fun making this amp and now I'll have great fun playing it :)

eb97e834.jpg

At 200 responses, I declare this topic closed :)

This is a fantastic thread, Howard - thanks for sharing your experience here. The pic above with your tele by your amp is classic and a perfect image to close out this thread (apologies - just now catching up post-closure).

Love the demos. Yeh, like the tele the best, but thought all the guitars sounded good - your amp has a lush full sound to it. It sounds like a really really good tweed deluxe. Congrats on a wonderful looking and sounding amp.

This is a fantastic thread, Howard - thanks for sharing your experience here. The pic above with your tele by your amp is classic and a perfect image to close out this thread (apologies - just now catching up post-closure).

Love the demos. Yeh, like the tele the best, but thought all the guitars sounded good - your amp has a lush full sound to it. It sounds like a really really good tweed deluxe. Congrats on a wonderful looking and sounding amp.

Thanks for the compliments and for the PM with the useful tone stack settings, it was very kind of you to send that as it's just what I need to make full use of the amp.

I'm thinking of getting a Fulltone FatBoost pedal to drop in front of the amp - does anyone here use pedals with a 5E3-type amp? If so, what and why?

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update to this thread and that's mainly been because it took me a while to find a company that could handle a custom amplifier cover. I wanted one with my H logo on it but no-one could manage that. So, necessity being the mother of invention, I got a plain black cover made up and made my own logo from black and cream cloth-backed vinyl. Here are the results:

20110731007.jpg

20110731008.jpg

20110731009.jpg

As I was carefully cutting the vinyl, I realised that I could have a reverse-image logo :)

20110731010.jpg

I'm going to rework the rear panels - not sure how yet but I'll post up pics when they're ready.

• 1 month later...

H - I liked the Beatles. It still looks good.

Is that a full 1 inch material? Did you ever weigh just the cab? It's Got to be 15lbs + !!!

Nice work :icon_thumleft:

that's cool!!

any sound clips?

Look back through the thread to the posts at 11 June - I did a set of clips with a Tele, 150 with Phat Cats and 535 with Schallers.

H - I liked the Beatles. It still looks good.

Is that a full 1 inch material? Did you ever weigh just the cab? It's Got to be 15lbs + !!!

Nice work :icon_thumleft:

Thanks :) I still have the Beatles back panels so I can drop them in again if I change my mind.

The oak is just about an inch, 23mm if my memory serves me well. The cab with the speaker loaded, but no chassis, weighs 29.5lbs. The Celestion is 10lbs. So, 19.5lbs for the cab :) It stays clean way longer than a tweed deluxe and I think that's a combination of the tight bottom end and power handling of the G12H30 and the rigidity and resonance of the oak cab.

Thanks :) I still have the Beatles back panels so I can drop them in again if I change my mind.

The oak is just about an inch, 23mm if my memory serves me well. The cab with the speaker loaded, but no chassis, weighs 29.5lbs. The Celestion is 10lbs. So, 19.5lbs for the cab :) It stays clean way longer than a tweed deluxe and I think that's a combination of the tight bottom end and power handling of the G12H30 and the rigidity and resonance of the oak cab.

Rigidity? You could use that to hold up your stage! Ah, and she's a manly beast :icon_thumright:

Archived