Heritage Owners Club

5E3 amp build project

H

OK, wood done, time for the electronics.

At the weekend, I looked through all the stuff I got in the box from Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) and ticked it off against the parts list. I realised that the resistors used a colour code to show their rating and had to look that up so I could label them in bags for easy reference. I put a few of the bigger components loosely on the eyelet board to get an idea of how tight it would be for space when I'm soldering.

Tonight I did a bit of drilling on the chassis to create a mount point for a terminal strip and loaded up the power transformer, valve bases, input and output jacks, standby and power switches, fuse holder and pilot light (still red for now). I finished off with the pots and then put it all back in the box :)

I got the original Fender schematics/wiring diagrams and realised that the TAD kit isn't wired exactly as the Fender 5E3. It's pretty close but there are differences. I wonder what difference that will make tonally...

99324ead.jpg

bbb3e3bf.jpg

8b6d6932.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a classy looking amp H. You have done very well!

Its amazing how so many of us absolutely love these Fender clones, but it makes me wonder why so few Marshall or Vox clones?

Complexity of the circuits maybe? There are a few Marshall 18W Bluesbreaker clones out there but you're right, not much to choose from.

Some more electronics today too :) Fitted the rest of the components to the eyelet board and straightened out the legs ready for cutting.

6753fd46.jpg

Used a tiny bit of solder to 'tack' the components before the main wires are attached.

f516666b.jpg

58fb7dd0.jpg

Soldered the various resistors and capacitors to the pots, jacks, etc.

4eaada4e.jpg

Shouldn't be too long now and she should be ready to rock!

Are those Alpha pots? looks like you did the right thing by sanding the surface a bit, but you might want to do a couple of good tug/push tests on those contacts to make sure they're solid. I like using Alpha pots in amps, but I generally run a ground bus as opposed to grounding to the casing itself when using them.

Are those Alpha pots? looks like you did the right thing by sanding the surface a bit, but you might want to do a couple of good tug/push tests on those contacts to make sure they're solid. I like using Alpha pots in amps, but I generally run a ground bus as opposed to grounding to the casing itself when using them.

Yes, they're Alpha pots. The connections are pretty solid :) I'm inexperienced with this kind of layout so I'm following a wiring circuit supplied with the kit, hence the lack of a ground bus.

A question: I have to test the circuit at various points when it's complete. Do you know of a good picture-based resource for the various tests I'll need to perform?

Yes, they're Alpha pots. The connections are pretty solid :) I'm inexperienced with this kind of layout so I'm following a wiring circuit supplied with the kit, hence the lack of a ground bus.

A question: I have to test the circuit at various points when it's complete. Do you know of a good picture-based resource for the various tests I'll need to perform?

I'm not sure if there's a picture based one out there, but the Paul Ruby first power up guide is a really good resource (lot's of other good info on the same site as well)

Ruby First Power Up

Howard, this is as good as, perhaps better than, any project thread I've seen on the HOC in the four years I've been here. The project itself and the documentation have been thorough, articulate, and as much a pleasure to follow as you seem to have had in doing it. What a terrific piece, in both concept and execution! Thanks for sharing this with us! My only problem has been with what a "numpty" this makes me feel like. Congratulations on a job very well (nearly) done! Hope it sounds fabulous!

To say the least it is coming out very well Howard. The neatness of your circuit layout is commendable. I was a field tech for many years and none of my work came close to being that pretty although mine wasn't a labor of love.

When I add caps to a circuit in an amp I add a little silicon adhesive (GE bathroom silicon caulk in the states) under the caps as a remedy to vibration induced problems.

You may have heard of this one..the only time I worked on a total refurb (my old Twin Reverb) I learned of a home made device you make using a common home lamp light bulb switch wired into the circuit for initial power up, kind of gives a gradual power up I believe (it's been some years), also possibly another benefit of detecting any circuit shorts. If you are interested I could dig it up I believe. Very cheap to make one.

Once again your project is coming along great, it is somewhat envy inducing for me. Kind of you to share as well.

You may also win the record for the longest thread.

Indeed, 'tis coming along great!

The silicon is a good idea for those orange drops; I once had a nasty vibration that I was pulling my hair out trying to track down, come to find out it was two orange drops clacking against each other!

Hfan, that slow initial start/light bulb switch idea sounds interesting, so if you happen to come across it again I'd like to check it out; I wonder if perhaps it involved using a dimmer switch?

google "light bulb limiter" and you'll finds some instructions for the device you speak of. I built one and have used it. It's a great idea. Actually helped trouble shoot some wiring without the fear of 'blowing sh...stuff up'. It's basically a poor man's variac...use it to control the amount of power going to your circuit from your wall outlet.

To say the least it is coming out very well Howard. The neatness of your circuit layout is commendable. I was a field tech for many years and none of my work came close to being that pretty although mine wasn't a labor of love.

When I add caps to a circuit in an amp I add a little silicon adhesive (GE bathroom silicon caulk in the states) under the caps as a remedy to vibration induced problems.

You may have heard of this one..the only time I worked on a total refurb (my old Twin Reverb) I learned of a home made device you make using a common home lamp light bulb switch wired into the circuit for initial power up, kind of gives a gradual power up I believe (it's been some years), also possibly another benefit of detecting any circuit shorts. If you are interested I could dig it up I believe. Very cheap to make one.

Once again your project is coming along great, it is somewhat envy inducing for me. Kind of you to share as well.

Oh yes, and let's not forget your longest thread award...

I think mars_hall's 'Enough Said Music' thread has at least sixty more responses than this one. So far ;)

Howard, this is as good as, perhaps better than, any project thread I've seen on the HOC in the four years I've been here. The project itself and the documentation have been thorough, articulate, and as much a pleasure to follow as you seem to have had in doing it. What a terrific piece, in both concept and execution! Thanks for sharing this with us! My only problem has been with what a "numpty" this makes me feel like. Congratulations on a job very well (nearly) done! Hope it sounds fabulous!

Thanks for the kind words, Rob, you have me blushing here :)

Thanks Pete :) I'm trying to build something I'd be happy to buy. So far, so good :)

The light bulb gizmo looks interesting, I'll look into that. The longest thread still belongs to mars_hall's 'Enough Said Music', I'm afraid. Still, I'm not quite finished yet ;)

Well, another milestone reached today: the wiring for the electronics is complete!

Some intermediate pics:

e62710a5.jpg

d53ef5d1.jpg

d6d07293.jpg

eb08dc8a.jpg

This is it fully wired and tidied up:

33e8eb4b.jpg

Now I need to buy some bits to make a light bulb limiter. I've made a capacitor discharge tool and on Saturday I'll be debugging the circuit - one arm behind my back :)

Oh yes, and let's not forget your longest thread award H!

It's all polished up and ready to go... just waiting on shipping quotes.

020059tnsw-big-guitar02.jpg

Where is that picture from Brian? Or is it some kind of photo shop hocus pocus?

Archived