Heritage Owners Club

5E3 amp build project

H

I didn't get a lot of time to play through it and couldn't dime it (or anywhere near) but there are some sweet cleans and some lovely overdriven tones playing with a stronger attack up around the tenth fret.

I'll record a selection of settings on the amp with single coils, P90s and humbuckers very soon.

Now though, I can have a little rest; the Limey is alive! :)

bb81a785.jpg

5e125c8c.jpg

e2a5c66c.jpg

9ab47a9d.jpg

Absoloutly STUNNING!!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG...that is fabulous!!!

GREAT WORK!!!!

Thanks :) In a week or so it should be fixed up and sounding as good as it looks again :)

Which bits constitute the 'tone stack' in a 5e3? Apologies for my noobness ;)

Well, I guess you can't really call it a stack on a 5E3, lol - I just meant to double check the connections on the tone and volume pots.

We'll have to send a prayer or two the amplification gods for a safe and rewarding return!:good_mini:

It seems your prayers were answered, DB :) I had a call from the repair guy an hour ago to tell me it's just a bad 6V6 :) The Limey is back in business when I collect it this weekend!!! Yeehah!! :)

Sweet, glad to hear it was only a tube problem. Hopefully, it won't be too drastic of a cost to replace a bad tube.

Yep, I'm aiming to get a free replacement from the company I bought the kit from. After all, it only lasted a couple of weeks!

The amp tech I took it to complemented me on my wiring and soldering and asked whether I was a cabinet-maker by trade :)

Well I'm happy to report that my defective 6V6 is being replaced by TAD free of charge :)

I'll pick up the amp Friday afternoon and the new tube should have arrived by then.

The Limey is back home and the replacement TAD tube arrived along with the two EH 6V6 tubes I bought just in case...

Turns out it's a good job I bought those extras as it's now apparent that the other TAD tube is red-plating. They have a six month warranty so I should be able to sort out a free replacement for it from TAD.

After a bit of a false start with the duff TAD tube, I put in the EH pair and my amp sang to me :) Tomorrow I dime it :)

The guy who 'fixed' it - just needed working tubes - gave me a twenty minute lesson on how to use a multimeter on the amp which I found very useful and now I want to find out what all the measurements should be around the amp. Another email to TAD :)

Finally, I need to do a decent set of recordings so all of you can hear it. I've got a Shure Beta 57A - should I just point it towards the edge of the cone and adjust for level in my recording software (Guitar Tracks Pro 4 USB)?

I'd place the mic in the 7th octant, directed at 32.6 degrees from azimuth 14.9 degrees from normal.

Pretty much crazy American for whatever works for you.

I'd place the mic in the 7th octant, directed at 32.6 degrees from azimuth 14.9 degrees from normal.

That's EXACTLY where I was going to place it!

It's Limey dimey day :D

I've done some clips for those interested in how The Limey sounds.

Using these guitars (Tele - single coils, 535 - Schaller humbuckers, 150 - SD Phat Cats):

241241dc.jpg

and this amp, The Limey, miked with my Shure Beta 57A and recorded into Guitar Tracks Pro 4

cc8f233e.jpg

All the Bright and Normal clips are with tone on 7 and volume on 3. The OD tracks are tone on 9 and vol on 7. Guitars have tone on 10 and vol on 7 for each pickup. No effects, no jumpered channels. The tracks are all prefixed "TheLimey".

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1120229

Forgive my playing and the poor recording on the OD clips - it certainly did clip!

Dang, too bad you couldn't get to the bottom of the problem Howard, however, seeing as you started out with 0 knowledge about the whole thing, I think you have done a great job. Be sure to make sure the amp doctor tells you exactly what he found. Overall, a great learning experience I'm sure, as well as a ton of fun.

All the Bright and Normal clips are with tone on 7 and volume on 3. The OD tracks are tone on 9 and vol on 7. Guitars have tone on 10 and vol on 7 for each pickup. No effects, no jumpered channels. The tracks are all prefixed "TheLimey".

http://www.soundclic...?bandID=1120229

Forgive my playing and the poor recording on the OD clips - it certainly did clip!

Very nice sounding amp H, I think I liked the single coils best. I see the amp "problem" wasn't an amp problem at all. Glad it was that easy to fix.

Great Tone. I went to the OD versions first and really liked them. The cleans came out really nice also.

There is really a big difference in the guitars/ pickups.

Thanks, I like how it sounds but might experiment with a 12AT7 where the 12AX7 is to see if I can make it break up around 6/7 rather than 4.

I don't much like the humbuckers through it except when it's clean. They sound really muddy on the other settings. I know it's not exactly the same amp but the Tungsten Crema Wheat does nothing for me with humbuckers either. Single coils though, woohoo! :)

Archived