Heritage Owners Club

"The Storm" is just a gentle breeze

Guido

This is not the post I'd hoped for this morning..

but let's start by saying the guitar has a great finish and great sound.

Those were the things that I expected.

You've done a great job at showing and describing the issues, but it's hard to judge without having the guitar in hand. Primary is the issue with the binding, I can't tell exactly what's going on there, so it's hard to anticipate how difficult the fix.

But it is time to contact your dealer and tell him that the guitar has a great finish and sound but has some issues that a new guitar shouldn't.

Talk , email pics, and work it out. ( you may end up emailing some info to Heritage directly also..)

It is a beauty of a storm.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that Heritage would cover the warranty with your luthier. Couldn't help to ask. Or perhaps they have an authorized repair they use in Germany. Here's another thought. You might have whomever repairs your guitar to pull the pickups and verify you have what the label says. That is not a typical Heritage soldering job, from what I can see. Looks .... messed with.

I think you're right about the soldering. All mine came factory stock. The telltale sign is the burn on the inside of the cavity. None of mine had that. I can't see experienced people like those at Heritage performing that solder job; looks like a somewhat inexperienced tech did it. Plus, the solder job to the ground lug doesn't look clean at all, more like an underpowered iron. My vote goes to the partial refund camp; too bad you're not in Arizona -- I'd change out that wiring and pot for you for a nominal fee (I rarely get to work on Heritage guitars out here, as our local dealer is totally lame, and I think I've got more of them than anyone in Phoenix - and I only have 3!).

If that guitar feels the way you like, and sounds the way you like, keep it! 20 years from now, it'll have dings, chips, worn finish, and, if you're lucky, about 500 gigs played on it. You won't notice the imperfections, just the feeling it gives you playing it.

rooster.

Guido,

If it were me, I'd be sending it to someone to get the repairs done. I wonder if you sent pictures to the dealer in Poland, might he be willing to pay a local luthier to fix it, near where you live?

At any rate, it's a *gorgeous* guitar, and I'm glad it sounds great too - I think it's worth fixing. Good luck, and keep us updated.

I would send those pics to the dealer, with the concerns...it definitely looks like someone swapped pickups out at some point, to me?

they should be able to offer a prtial refund or cover the costs to get it touched up

I would be hesitant to ship it again, that's always risky, plus it costs $

ps that guitar looks amazing, how much does it weigh?

Ok guys I really need your help here!

Am I overdoing it?

I just plugged her in and there was the storm I was expecting!

What a great tone. Unbelievable!!!

I did a hell of a job to my '93 VSB 150 to get the tone I wanted: new pups, new caps, new wiring.

And you know what? "The Storm" has it all and even more.

I thought the SD Jazz is more a neck pup but it's really great in the bridge.

The nut can be fixed.

And honestly I can't take my eyes of this beauty.

So what to do????

Not with the binding like that.. Take it back to the dealer.

The guitar is awesome, looks and sound. This is easy. Take it back and tell them to fix this one and keep it. Its the one. As far as what can't be fixed, find out who is at fault and get a reduced price. Fix the nut and the finish issues and keep the "Storm".

Keep it, its awesome.

Congratulations on your NGD!

Guest HRB853370

Guido, so sorry that the guitar has some imperfections. A new guitar should be just that, new and you should accept nothing less than that. That said, now you have to decide the best course of action. I agree with the other folks here that said to consult with your dealer first, and if you do not get 100% satisfaction, talk to someone at Heritage as you now have a legitimate complaint, that dealer. The last thing Heritage wants (IMO) is a dealer who does not take care of the customer, 100%

By the way, there used to be an old saying in Michigan, never buy an American car that was built on a Friday....

That was back in the 60's and 70's.....and things have changed now.

id be pissed off. that nut looks like it was put on backwards by accident. the raggedy edge finish on the bidning looks terrible and the black marks under the finish to. woodnt matter to me who made it heritage or some chinese place. that shouldnt have made it through qualicy check at the factory or at the dealer. i know from raeding that a lot of fellers cut heritag slack for this because they think its quaint or something but it looks bad for them maybe its the way they did it back in the fiftys though.

Not with the binding like that.. Take it back to the dealer.

+1..you paid good money for a factory first, not a 2nd..Send it back and get some satisfaction..(Isn't that A Stones song..)

id be pissed off. that nut looks like it was put on backwards by accident. the raggedy edge finish on the bidning looks terrible and the black marks under the finish to. woodnt matter to me who made it heritage or some chinese place. that shouldnt have made it through qualicy check at the factory or at the dealer. i know from raeding that a lot of fellers cut heritag slack for this because they think its quaint or something but it looks bad for them maybe its the way they did it back in the fiftys though.

Damn right!

The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

The guitar was not cheap and if there would have been a small flaw here and there: fine.

But that's just too much. The nut and the electronics are fucked up. The binding at the horn looks really bad.

Where's the quality control for a 2000$ product?

I have a '93 H150. Theres not a single flaw on that guitar. I just don't know what happened here but I will not accept it.

I will send the guitar back and get my money back.

Maybe I'll find another Heritage, maybe not.

Guido_

No way that guitar would get out of my sight...maybe it isn't perfect, but I assume you didn't pay a retail perfect asked for price either...I say fix the nut your self (since you have the experience)....wrap some electrical tape around the wire if it bothers you and think of the blemish as a beauty mark...ALL WOMEN (especially the really hot ones) have their own special beauty marks...I would leave it as is and enjoy the hell out of how she sings and plays....Mark

FWIW - the binding though sloppy and should have been scraped at the factory, doesn't bother me.

The line under the finish totally looks like it could in the wood grain to me. I have a Tom Anderson guitar that has a black mark in the cutaway that initially looked like a finish flaw to me. Upon inspection I realized it was in the wood. Cool, a beauty mark.

The nut can be and should be replaced imho - and under warranty.

The electronics too, what's up with that? It's probably no problem but annoying nonetheless. They should be fixed under warranty as well.

As for the geetar, she's a beauty! I'd keep her and play the heck out of her.

Cosmetic flaws help make the guitar unique so you'll always know its yours. As far as hardware/electronic flaws, there is no excuse. Even a Chinese made Epiphone would be held liable for faulty workmanship. Must of been made on a Friday or bring your kids to work day... Hard to believe QC passed this one!

Damn right!

The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

The guitar was not cheap and if there would have been a small flaw here and there: fine.

But that's just too much. The nut and the electronics are fucked up. The binding at the horn looks really bad.

Where's the quality control for a 2000$ product?

I have a '93 H150. Theres not a single flaw on that guitar. I just don't know what happened here but I will not accept it.

I will send the guitar back and get my money back.

Maybe I'll find another Heritage, maybe not.

+1 As I told you this morning if you're not satisfied with it,you have the Warranty,use it and send the guitar back. you paid 2000$ you must have everything ok !I'm positive at Parsons Street they do not want to loose customers and fans.Trust Heritage,have faith!

Ich finde es immer Heritage,verliert nicht den Glauben (ist es Deutch? ich hoffe es :drink_mini: )

My biggest issue would be the nut, as this can definitely cause playability and adjustment issues. Contact the dealer, copy Heritage on any emails and see what the most practical solution is.

The binding is a bit bothersome, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Most of my guitars have some cosmetic flaw... er.. character.

The soldering job looks sloppy, and going through the insulation could cause shorting issues. If that is the cable going to the selector switch, it could easily be replaced. I've hit a lot of wires with soldering irons over the years, it's easy to do. That's why Gibson has gone to circuit boards and slip on connectors for their control cavities. Given the two choices, I'll take the hand wiring and either heat shrink some insulation over the cable to avoid a short, or replace the wire if possible.

As for being a great sounding guitar, that's in the the DNA. They're just born that way.

Just to toss in my $0.02USD again. New guitar. Unacceptable "flaws" on that guitar. Something is suspect about that wiring job. The nut - just crazy. And the binding overspray should have been disclosed before the sale. Sold "As New", but nope. Too bad, too. It's the weekend yet. With a National Holiday on Monday (don't know if the 'zoo observes). And NAMM going on. Could be hard to get a resolution from the boys for a couple of days. :dontknow:

Just to toss in my $0.02USD again. New guitar. Unacceptable "flaws" on that guitar. Something is suspect about that wiring job. The nut - just crazy. And the binding overspray should have been disclosed before the sale. Sold "As New", but nope. Too bad, too. It's the weekend yet. With a National Holiday on Monday (don't know if the 'zoo observes). And NAMM going on. Could be hard to get a resolution from the boys for a couple of days. :dontknow:

I agree with Tulk1 but, I still believe the guitar is worth having repaired instead of returning it for a refund or exchange. It's still a great guitar with a couple of fixable flaws. It's not like the headstock is broken or the neck is having an out-of-body experience.

The guitar will go back!

I'm earning my money hard and I am fed up with buying "quality" products for a lot of money and getting something like this.

I have not the time and patience to deal with Heritage. I have wrote many emails to Heritage in the past and never got a reply.

I can understand everybody who says keep it and live with it. But I don't do this anymore. I paid over 2000$ so I demand a 2000$ product.

I know that there can be flaws especially when it's handmade. But this is too much.

I hope it's not the way Heritage will continue in the future because then there will be no future.

The next thing is they need to keep up with todays standards and start to respond to emails. They're dealing internationally and the need to keep contact to their customers.

The guitar will go back!

I'm earning my money hard and I am fed up with buying "quality" products for a lot of money and getting something like this.

I have not the time and patience to deal with Heritage. I have wrote many emails to Heritage in the past and never got a reply.

I can understand everybody who says keep it and live with it. But I don't do this anymore. I paid over 2000$ so I demand a 2000$ product.

I know that there can be flaws especially when it's handmade. But this is too much.

I hope it's not the way Heritage will continue in the future because then there will be no future.

The next thing is they need to keep up with todays standards and start to respond to emails. They're dealing internationally and the need to keep contact to their customers.

Good call. That would have been my decision also. The dealer should have caught those problems and you should not be in the position you are in.

You want hand made well you got it. Please do not complain, if you want perfect buy a machined fender or carvin or somthing. Everyone wants hand made and nestalgia but complain if theres flaws. All heritages have flaws because they are made by hand, nature of the beast im afraid, but the complaining is sickening, you want perfection buy an american cnc'd guitar, made perfect every time! Problem solved.

So someone at heritage made a mistake and has the nut on wrong ,,,, big deal-pull the strings and turn it around, I'm sure they didnt purposely do it. Same with the binding, so it pulled away from the body a tad, probably because it was HAND routred and there was a flat spot the binding wouldnt seat to. Gives it character if you ask me, and last but not least let me end my speech on this note! regardless if your guitar is flawless or not it's when you pick it up and play it that matters, no one cares what the persons guitar looks like when it comes time to play some music, what they notice is if you can play or not, I think people tend to forget that. Are you a musician or a guitar building analyst????????????

Good call. That would have been my decision also. The dealer should have caught those problems and you should not be in the position you are in.

+1. It's also the only way to make them understand that quality must always remain the same! anyway the warrancy protect you,they know this; trust heritage

You want hand made well you got it. Please do not complain, if you want perfect buy a machined fender or carvin or somthing. Everyone wants hand made and nestalgia but complain if theres flaws. All heritages have flaws because they are made by hand, nature of the beast im afraid, but the complaining is sickening, you want perfection buy an american cnc'd guitar, made perfect every time! Problem solved.

So someone at heritage made a mistake and has the nut on wrong ,,,, big deal-pull the strings and turn it around, I'm sure they didnt purposely do it. Same with the binding, so it pulled away from the body a tad, probably because it was HAND routred and there was a flat spot the binding wouldnt seat to. Gives it character if you ask me, and last but not least let me end my speech on this note! regardless if your guitar is flawless or not it's when you pick it up and play it that matters, no one cares what the persons guitar looks like when it comes time to play some music, what they notice is if you can play or not, I think people tend to forget that. Are you a musician or a guitar building analyst????????????

If it would be a 300$ guitar, you are right. I know we all love Heritage guitars. Me too. But I bought a 2000$ guitar and it's not playable due to the nut? I beg your pardon.

I know that there can be flaws on any guitar especially if it's handmade. But don't you think this is a little bit too much? Well I do think so.

If Heritage wants to survive in the future, they need to change this. That this guitar has left the factory this way let's me really think about their quality control.

If this would have been my first Heritage it would have probably been my last! They don't need new customers? Fine. Then that's the way to do it.

Because of this particular thread and the responses I've read within it, I will go back on the promise I made to myself of keeping my opinions and commentary off of this site. As I've mentioned here before, my relationship with Heritage has, without going into great detail, grown beyond just being a customer. As such, I can not sit back without commenting on this matter. Guido and I have shared a couple of PMs on this situation, and I understand and accept his decision to not keep this guitar as a matter of principle. There are those of us who would be able to look beyond the flaws in this beautiful guitar, have them addressed and resolved and move on. However, please remember, no one except Guido has had weeks of anticipation of receiving a flawless example of what all of us here have touted as the best LP type guitar on the planet. We can only imagine, but not feel his level of dejection after that kind of anticipation. Guido chooses not to accept this as "fixable". That's his call . . . and only he can determine if it's the right decision for him.

To those who might blow this off as something that should be considered "no big deal" . . . you are wrong. Period!! If any of you who think that this isn't an important issue to Jim, Marv, Vince, Ren, Bill, Katie, Curley . . . everyone at the plant . . ask yourself what you think their reaction might be if someone were to walk into the plant and put this guitar in the hands of one of the owners. Plain and simple, they'd be pissed that this one slipped by. However, the problem is that it did slip by and it shouldn't have. They would be the first to acknowledge that. To explain this away as a result of have a product hand made is just unacceptable and nonsense. While it's a true generalization that robotic and automated methods of manufacture for the most part remove most of the element of mere mortals being less than perfect . . a proper final inspection process should have and would have sent this guitar back for further refinement prior to shipping it out the door.

While we all have developed an admiration, love and respect for the good folks at Parsons Street and the products they craft . . . this does not absolve them from their responsibility to not let this stuff happen. The more we worship at their alter, the higher the bar is set for them to consistently deliver as perfect a product as humanly possible. This is NOT an example of their best . . . as we all know. They owe all of their customers nothing short of the best they are capable of.

Now, with all of that said, I too don't believe that this guitar left the factory in the condition noted in these photos. The binding issue is clearly an over sight by Heritage. It should have been scraped better. There is NO excuse for that. As it relates to the nut . . . Heritage has frequently been guilty of not filing the nut adequately . . . but, I've never seen anything quite like that. I would wonder if that was the result of someone's tampering at the dealer level. The electronics cavity is a whole-'nuther matter. I would go out on a limb here and say there is just no way that the mess we see in that cavity was created by the people at Heritage.

The only issue I see on that guitar that I would accept as possibly being recognized by a QC inspection and passed off as "acceptable" would be the dark line under the shading. As was mentioned earlier in the thread . . not seeing the guitar in person, we have no way of knowing if it is possibly in the wood itself. If so, is it enough to classify and stamp the guitar as a second? I would say on a natural top, or a light VSB . . yeah, definitely. Under a dark sunburst shading . . . I would say no.

I do agree with those of you who shoulder most of this blame on the dealer. They should be the final and most critical QC inspection when they receive a product. They have a responsibility to the Vendor, Heritage, and to their customers to inspect the guitars and bring any imperfections to the attention of the vendor for adequate resolution. For all we know, they might have contacted Heritage and told them of the flaws . . and possibly Heritage gave them the option to return it for remediation or replacement . . . or they might have offered them a further discount so they could sell the guitar as a second . . .and possibly, the dealer chose to keep the guitar, take the additional discount as a further profit and not mention the imperfections to Guido hoping it wouldn't matter to him. I hope that's not the case . . . Heritage should not want that guitar in the market place unless they could verify a big fat #2 being deeply stamped into the back of the head stock.

This isn't the first time Heritage put out something they shouldn't have . . and it will undoubtedly not be the last. As noted by Jaycee, they are imperfect mere mortals hand crafting a product. However, we need to continually hold them accountable to all their customers, not just those members of HOC, to deliver the very best they are capable of. They would expect nothing less from us and would be disappointed in us if we didn't hold them to a higher standard.

Now, I will return to self imposed exile . . . to hopefully help HOC return to the more preferable tone of a year or so ago.

Archived