Heritage Owners Club

NGD with mixed feelings

zeittgeist

So, the H555 Blueburst I bought from Skydog52 arrived this evening. (Thank you, man, for the fast shipping and the incredible packing job). And what a beauty! I don't think I have ever seen a guitar this beautiful. It is even more stunning in person than in the posted photos. BUT, I don't think it is a guitar for me. I knew when I sprang for it that is was a gamble of sorts. That the 535/555's are primarily blues & rock guitars. But since some also use it for jazz, I was hoping I could dial it in to approach my Sweet 16's tone. I guess it sounds sort of strange, but because I have such limited playing skills/abilities, I need the transformative, visceral kick I get from the fat, round, sumptuous tones of a jazzbox in order to keep me motivated to slog through learning scales and arpeggios. The Sweet 16 does this for me, the H555 doesn't. Now the question is, do I put her back in her case and into the closet to hold onto as an investment, or until, perhaps, my playing reaches the level where I can actually take advantage of what she can do? Or do I sell her and keep searching for a tone that affects me even more than the Sweet 16?

Any thoughts? advice?

post-3813-0-80895900-1301108206_thumb.jpg

I think you should imagine you are Larry Carton or Lee Ritenour and play some jazz licks on that incredible guitar.

I have heard MANY Jazz cats using 535/555 that can dial in VERY impressive big phat jazz box tones by adjusting their amp or the vol/tone knobs on their guitar.

You haven't giving yourself time to bond with it yet.

If 6 months from now you are playing it, put it up for sale and let me know!!!!!

You have reached a pivotal point in your journey. If you like the looks of the guitar (who wouldn't, she's beautiful!), find a music store with good boutique amps. Not all guitars sound optimal with the same amp. Give her a try with a Matchless, Bogner, Fender, Marshall and or one of the many dozens available. You've some serious coin invested in guitars. If you want to reach out with your style, you should reach out with your amps too. That guitar is a tried and tested style built by the best. Get her what she needs!

Happy New Guitar Day :icon_thumright:.

My suggestion.. would be to take your time and don't rush into making a decision. You just got it, you haven't figured out all it can do yet.. yadda yadda.

I'm confident you'll end up figuring out what you want to do, and that may well be exactly what your first impression is telling you. But it may also be that you eventually decide its a keeper. So give it a week, a month, or whatever. Why rush the decision (unless of course there is some other reason to rush it)? We all have our reasons for keeping or selling a guitar. I have never really bonded with the color of my 535, but I tell you.. every time I pick it up and play, the notes just sing. It feels great and sounds great. So it's still here.. and I'm very happy I didn't let my first impressions of the color talk me into something I'd have regretted.

Kuz "You haven't giving yourself time to bond with it yet."

I agree with that. In time I bet you'll adjust the guitar and amp and get just the sound you want. Right now it's new, you dropped a few bucks on it, the mind can play tricks! It's a beauty.

I've seen that guitar in person.. If it SOUNDS half as good as it looks, KEEP IT! Yes, you can play jazz on it, but it also ROCKS!! The 535/555 body style has got to be the most versatile guitar on the planet, as it can cover so many bases. Can you tell I'm a fanboy?! My 535 isn't going anywhere, but I dig it so much, it might get a brother sometime down the line. But that's me. You gotta do what works for you, but I agree with the above sentiments; give it some time. Good luck!

Yep, I know what you mean, I have had some guitars that other people fawned over, and I never fell in love with. It is a hard decision. My advice would be don't make that decision overnight. Give it some time. Play around with it some. Let others hear it and see what they think. Then if you just can't come around to making it yours, put it back on the block and look for another. I think everyone here has had a lot of really nice guitars come into and out of their lives, and some of them you just don't miss. Good luck.

What a beautiful guitar. Just enjoy it and let it breath with you.

Thank you all for the clear headed advice. I think I might have gotten a little overwhelmed there for a bit (I also got Mimi Fox's Jazz

Anatomy DVD this morning and my head is still spinning from all the new ideas and information). You are all absolutely correct that a beautiful guitar like this deserves a chance to get to know her. I also really like the idea of matching her to the correct amp. I didn't even think of that, I just plugged her into the Henriksen JazzAmp 110 I use with the others. Coincidently, I had been reading and learning about boutique amps recently, but didn't make the connection.

One more piece of free advice (and worth every penney of it!) is to put some flatwound strings on the Blueburst. You play a Sweet 16 and Golden Eagle and are used to their thick, full hollowbody tones. No semi-hollow can match full hollow archtops for tone, but then again, no archtop can give you the versatility of a well built semi-hollow.

Also, I agree with others that recommend trying it out with quality tube amps...and give yourself more time to adjust to a semi. There is magic in those F-holes!

Play it in good health.

I think you should give it some real time to give it a go and see if it turns into an instrument that really affects you and means something to you. Give it some time, but also give it a lot of playing time as well, don't sit around thinking about whether it fits, play it and play it to give it a chance of becoming 'the one'. if it doesn't work out after a period of time, them by all means move it on.

Just today in fact, I traded in 1997 Les Paul Studio Sapphire coloured Gem Series guitar that had a gold Bigsby and P90s on it that was just one of the sexiest guitars I have ever seen/owned, but after about 8-10 months with it, I realised that I think I bought it as much or more for its looks than its playability....I really didn't use the Bigsby, it was 'very' heavy, and I have P90s in another LP that I have, so I traded it on my new (and first) Heritage H-150cm. I know you will make the right decision! Good luck...

Thank you all for the clear headed advice. I think I might have gotten a little overwhelmed there for a bit (I also got Mimi Fox's Jazz

Anatomy DVD this morning and my head is still spinning from all the new ideas and information). You are all absolutely correct that a beautiful guitar like this deserves a chance to get to know her. I also really like the idea of matching her to the correct amp. I didn't even think of that, I just plugged her into the Henriksen JazzAmp 110 I use with the others. Coincidently, I had been reading and learning about boutique amps recently, but didn't make the connection.

I found Mimi's course to be like sipping from a fire hydrant. You may want to try Alex Skolnick's jazz course. The pace is slower but everything is explained.

I own a 555 and I like to try to play jazz on it. I am useless at Jazz, but I like it. My friend Peter Green on the forum here can play jazz and has in his collection of guitars several beautiful big bodied jazz guitars, but he can also get a fabulous tone from my 555 that is more than adequate for any sound. Over here in England we have a guitar player called Adrian Ingram who is a guy I know and he plays Jazz at the highest level. You should hear him play jazz on a Telecaster.

You just need to learn what the guitar can do and I am sure you will be thrilled that you bought it. Trust me, it can deliver.

Guest HRB853370

So, the H555 Blueburst I bought from Skydog52 arrived this evening. (Thank you, man, for the fast shipping and the incredible packing job). And what a beauty! I don't think I have ever seen a guitar this beautiful. It is even more stunning in person than in the posted photos. BUT, I don't think it is a guitar for me. I knew when I sprang for it that is was a gamble of sorts. That the 535/555's are primarily blues & rock guitars. But since some also use it for jazz, I was hoping I could dial it in to approach my Sweet 16's tone. I guess it sounds sort of strange, but because I have such limited playing skills/abilities, I need the transformative, visceral kick I get from the fat, round, sumptuous tones of a jazzbox in order to keep me motivated to slog through learning scales and arpeggios. The Sweet 16 does this for me, the H555 doesn't. Now the question is, do I put her back in her case and into the closet to hold onto as an investment, or until, perhaps, my playing reaches the level where I can actually take advantage of what she can do? Or do I sell her and keep searching for a tone that affects me even more than the Sweet 16?

Any thoughts? advice?

Hard to believe you could make that assessment that quickly. In my experience, you have to get acquainted with a new guitar, be-friend it and have some interaction with it. Every time I pickup my 555 custom or my blueburst 575 custom, its a new experience, it shows me something new, and gives me a greater appreciation for it. I certainly cant see putting a guitar in a case for investment, I am not from that camp at all. They are made to be played. Give it a chance, get to know it, let it get to know you, and all will be well! She sure is a beauty, I would have bought it from Skydog had I not already had a 555.

Guest HRB853370

I think you should give it some real time to give it a go and see if it turns into an instrument that really affects you and means something to you. Give it some time, but also give it a lot of playing time as well, don't sit around thinking about whether it fits, play it and play it to give it a chance of becoming 'the one'. if it doesn't work out after a period of time, them by all means move it on.

Just today in fact, I traded in 1997 Les Paul Studio Sapphire coloured Gem Series guitar that had a gold Bigsby and P90s on it that was just one of the sexiest guitars I have ever seen/owned, but after about 8-10 months with it, I realised that I think I bought it as much or more for its looks than its playability....I really didn't use the Bigsby, it was 'very' heavy, and I have P90s in another LP that I have, so I traded it on my new (and first) Heritage H-150cm. I know you will make the right decision! Good luck...

Dasher, I have a Sapphire 1996 LP Studio, with the P90's and I just love it! Got it for just $600 about 12 years ago. I dont have a Bigsby on it (hate those huge trem arms) its set up with the stop tailpiece and adjustable bridge. Mine is not heavy at all, and sounds terrific.

Any thoughts? advice?

When I first read this post I felt bad and sad at the same time. I special ordered this guitar and was involved with the build throughout.

Sad because it's not mine anymore and bad that you weren't real sure about the buy.

Then I started reading all the posts from these great people on this forum. There is a wealth of information and wisdom to be found.

I hope you can bond with this because it really is a nice one. If not, with my buyers remorse I'm sure I'll be in on the bidding.

Strings could be the key. As a new owner of a 535, I can tell you that it took me 2 weeks of trying stuff before I put some 11-48 w/ a 20w 3rd.

Now Im getting to the sweet spot. Enjoy the search for "the tone". The Flatwound idea was my next step.

You have reached a pivotal point in your journey. If you like the looks of the guitar (who wouldn't, she's beautiful!), find a music store with good boutique amps. Not all guitars sound optimal with the same amp. Give her a try with a Matchless, Bogner, Fender, Marshall and or one of the many dozens available. You've some serious coin invested in guitars. If you want to reach out with your style, you should reach out with your amps too. That guitar is a tried and tested style built by the best. Get her what she needs!

Happy New Guitar Day :icon_thumright:.

I just bought my first 535, but not my first semi/335 style. Just in the 3 days I've had her, I've played her through 4 different amps (none could really qualify as Boutique) and through each the flavor changes significantly. My guess is that running her through any decent tube amp will allow you to hear something you've not heard before, and will probably be to your liking. I hope you give it a shot, and if not, I hope I'm flush enough to relieve you of the "burden". I'm not usually that fond of blue guitars, but good gawd, that is a stunning guitar. (nice job, Skydog52!!)

and as for jazz on a semi -- well, what is jazz???

Scofield has made his living with a semi and an AC30, but his tone and style may not be what many purists have in mind.

Scofield is hard to pigeonhole. There is a lot of rawness to sound. That's by choice, certainly not due to skill deficiency. He creates a very different mood and energy than the old school guys.

One last thing I try to live by when it comes to "breaking in" guitars...

Robben Ford is quoted as say "You have to give a guitar AL LEAST 6 months of heavy playing before you can decide if the guitar and you are bonding or not."

One of my best friends on this forum (no names mentioned) might want to heed this advice. Not because I need to tell anyone what to do with their money or guitars, but like Skinslammer said.... I am daily discovering new tones & applications my guitars are capable of, and some of these guitars I have had for years.

Archived