Heritage Owners Club

NGD with mixed feelings

zeittgeist

I own a 555 and I can say for definite that it will give you the jazz tones you want. I can't play jazz but my friend Peter Green, our forum member and friend has pulled some beautiful jazz tones out of mine. However, if you have Schaller pick ups in yours, you might want to change those.

One last thing I try to live by when it comes to "breaking in" guitars...

Robben Ford is quoted as say "You have to give a guitar AL LEAST 6 months of heavy playing before you can decide if the guitar and you are bonding or not."

One of my best friends on this forum (no names mentioned) might want to heed this advice. Not because I need to tell anyone what to do with their money or guitars, but like Skinslammer said.... I am daily discovering new tones & applications my guitars are capable of, and some of these guitars I have had for years.

+1 for that. I used a strat Ive owned since 93 tonight at a gig through a new amp and was pulling sounds out of it I didnt think it was capable of.

I had actually bought another strat to get those strat sounds that I thought were not there in my 93 strat(does this sentence really even make sense?)

But there they were in a guitar Ive owned for years lying dormant and waiting for the right amp and a new approach to bring them out.

It took 4yrs for my PRS to break me in. For a while I thought it was an expensive mistake sitting on a guitar stand mocking me. Now I think its a great guitar.

+1 for that. I used a strat Ive owned since 93 tonight at a gig through a new amp and was pulling sounds out of it I didnt think it was capable of.

I had actually bought another strat to get those strat sounds that I thought were not there in my 93 strat(does this sentence really even make sense?)

But there they were in a guitar Ive owned for years lying dormant and waiting for the right amp and a new approach to bring them out.

It took 4yrs for my PRS to break me in. For a while I thought it was an expensive mistake sitting on a guitar stand mocking me. Now I think its a great guitar.

Yep, been there.

Another thing that people don't consider is that a guitar that sound great by itself, alone at home... might sound dark, muddy, and lost in the mix with a band. (and visa verso) And the same thing can be said with amps. I usually try to dial in my tones at home by playing near stage volume with a backing track or over some cover music from my stereo. This process has gotten me a lot CLOSER to the tone I need live.

Guest HRB853370

One last thing I try to live by when it comes to "breaking in" guitars...

Robben Ford is quoted as say "You have to give a guitar AL LEAST 6 months of heavy playing before you can decide if the guitar and you are bonding or not."

One of my best friends on this forum (no names mentioned) might want to heed this advice. Not because I need to tell anyone what to do with their money or guitars, but like Skinslammer said.... I am daily discovering new tones & applications my guitars are capable of, and some of these guitars I have had for years.

Absolutely right Kuz, any guitar I ever sold, I have had a minimum of 6 months to a year, to really know if I like it or not. I just could not tell in the first few weeks without some serious playing of it. I sold my 550 after 6 months of ownership, and I didnt dislike it, I just needed to move it to make room for the red 535 which I really have fallen in love with quickly. I am still getting to know my 555 and my 575 and as I mentioned earlier, they both present a new experience each and every time I plug them in. Same deal with my new little Blackstar HT-5 amp. At first playing with it, I was disappointed in the lack of power. But a 5 watt amp is not designed to have alot of power. Now I am experimenting with adding a reverb pedal, and tryout different guitars with it. It will probably grow on me the longer I have it. Hope this is helpful.

and as for jazz on a semi -- well, what is jazz???

Scofield has made his living with a semi and an AC30, but his tone and style may not be what many purists have in mind.

That Scofield video made my liver quiver! :music_mini2:

So, the H555 Blueburst I bought from Skydog52 arrived this evening. (Thank you, man, for the fast shipping and the incredible packing job). And what a beauty! I don't think I have ever seen a guitar this beautiful. It is even more stunning in person than in the posted photos. BUT, I don't think it is a guitar for me. I knew when I sprang for it that is was a gamble of sorts. That the 535/555's are primarily blues & rock guitars. But since some also use it for jazz, I was hoping I could dial it in to approach my Sweet 16's tone. I guess it sounds sort of strange, but because I have such limited playing skills/abilities, I need the transformative, visceral kick I get from the fat, round, sumptuous tones of a jazzbox in order to keep me motivated to slog through learning scales and arpeggios. The Sweet 16 does this for me, the H555 doesn't. Now the question is, do I put her back in her case and into the closet to hold onto as an investment, or until, perhaps, my playing reaches the level where I can actually take advantage of what she can do? Or do I sell her and keep searching for a tone that affects me even more than the Sweet 16?

Any thoughts? advice?

Nice guitar, congrats! Your semi hollow will never sound like a big jazz box but you may grow to love what it has to offer. I say give it some time to see if you bond with it before letting it go!

You can definitely play jazz on a 535/555:

Dasher, I have a Sapphire 1996 LP Studio, with the P90's and I just love it! Got it for just $600 about 12 years ago. I dont have a Bigsby on it (hate those huge trem arms) its set up with the stop tailpiece and adjustable bridge. Mine is not heavy at all, and sounds terrific.

skinslammer, it did hurt a little to part with the Sapphire Studio, it was and still is the sexiest colour I have ever seen on any guitar....and the P90s were great (I love P90s), but the weight because of the bigsby and the fact I wasn't using it because it was, for me, too heavy....it became the guitar in the collection that was (sadly) only there for its looks....but on the upside, it allowed me to join the Heritage family with my H-150 and I have to say that it was an excellent purchasing decision on my part...the H-150 is just incredible...I don't want to put it down.

So I spent the day today with the 555. I took some relief out of the neck, I lowered the action to a hair under 3/16ths - 5/16ths, and lowered the HRW's. Got it to where it is easier to play than any of my archtops. Then pulled out the Fender Super Champ XD which I hadn't used in a while. It "models" various amps, and playing the 555 through it was really fun! The Fender Tweed, and especially, the Blackface, non overdriven voices sound the best to my ear, and get me very close to the "jazz" tone I have in mind.

Then I replaced the strings with a set of .011's Chrome flatwounds and adjusted the intonation. NOW, this lady is starting to sing my song.

Thanks to everyone who offered words of advice and support.

Lesson, hopefully, learned.

Daniel

That's good news. Heritages are a splendid foundation and capable of many changes to spice them to taste. It's good to hear that you took the time to work with her. Enjoy!

So, the H555 Blueburst I bought from Skydog52 arrived this evening. (Thank you, man, for the fast shipping and the incredible packing job). And what a beauty! I don't think I have ever seen a guitar this beautiful. It is even more stunning in person than in the posted photos. BUT, I don't think it is a guitar for me. I knew when I sprang for it that is was a gamble of sorts. That the 535/555's are primarily blues & rock guitars. But since some also use it for jazz, I was hoping I could dial it in to approach my Sweet 16's tone. I guess it sounds sort of strange, but because I have such limited playing skills/abilities, I need the transformative, visceral kick I get from the fat, round, sumptuous tones of a jazzbox in order to keep me motivated to slog through learning scales and arpeggios. The Sweet 16 does this for me, the H555 doesn't. Now the question is, do I put her back in her case and into the closet to hold onto as an investment, or until, perhaps, my playing reaches the level where I can actually take advantage of what she can do? Or do I sell her and keep searching for a tone that affects me even more than the Sweet 16?

Any thoughts? advice?

How about I hang on to it until you decide. I'd hate for it to feel all alone in a closet waiting to be played again. Then when you're ready, I'll give it back. I'll keep the wear and tear down to a minimum! Seriously though, give it some time to grow on you. As soon as you get rid of it, you'll regret it terribly...

Looks like it ended up going on the block after all!

I am reading and learning about amps right now. Think I might be able to swing getting something interesting without having to sell or trade the Blue Burst. And I really am very happy with my Sweet 16's. So, unless someone has something REALLY interesting they want to trade, I'm putting her away until I have a bit more confidence in my playing.

hey , i'm new here, however i would like to say that maybe you might listen to ted greene using a telecaster for jazz, some of the nicest tone i've ever heard. amazing stuff, man even the jazz snobs can't argue against his work. i just bought a used 535 myself today, very excited to see it delivered friday. hoping to knock out some real nice sounds as well. good luck with all of it brother...

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting development with the H-555 Blue Burst. Still can't get the sound I want, BUT, since I enrolled in Jimmy Bruno's Guitar Workshop I have spent all my time learning and practicing the "five fingerings". And what guitar do I now always reach for? Yup, the Blue Burst. For some reason it's neck and overall size make it much easier to practice these lines. Is it possible to bond with a guitar whose sound doesn't work for you? I guess I'll find out.

Daniel

Guest HRB853370

Interesting development with the H-555 Blue Burst. Still can't get the sound I want, BUT, since I enrolled in Jimmy Bruno's Guitar Workshop I have spent all my time learning and practicing the "five fingerings". And what guitar do I now always reach for? Yup, the Blue Burst. For some reason it's neck and overall size make it much easier to practice these lines. Is it possible to bond with a guitar whose sound doesn't work for you? I guess I'll find out.

Daniel

Hey, what are the 5 fingerings if I may ask? Is this the Fretboard Logic method (CAGED)?

Hey, what are the 5 fingerings if I may ask? Is this the Fretboard Logic method (CAGED)?

I'd assume the 5 pentatonic fingering positions: like G on the 3rd fret of the 6th (middle finger on G), 5th of the 4th (middle finger on G), 10th of the 5th (with your pinky on G), 10th of the 5th again (with your middle on G) and 15th of the 6th (again with your pinky on G).

Jimmy has developed a system for getting people up to speed on soloing. He starts by describing a C scale, then the chords based on each of it's tones: CM7, Dm7, Em7, FM7, G7, Am7, Bm7b5. Then he points out, if you look at a piano, these are all white keys. And you can solo over any of these chords using any or all the white keys. He calls all these tones and chords the C Pitch Collection. And he has come up with five fingerings on the fretboard to translate this collection of white keys to the guitar. Through practicing and memorizing the 5 fingerings, you are developing the muscle memory to be able to translate a sound in your head to your fingers. When you have the C Pitch Collection learned, it is fairly easy to move these up and down the fretboard to hit all 12 Pitch Collections.

In the new Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop, each student must submit a video of himself playing all 5 fingerings in C Pitch Collection for critiquing by Jimmy. When you pass he gives you your next assignment based on his read of your video performance.

.... you are developing the muscle memory....

I learned about muscle memory in Karate class as a kid. Sure enough it works in everything we do. Stop doing something and you forget about parts of it. One thing about my experience with muscle memory in Karate was that learning how to get away was what I should remember. It has served me well.

Any thoughts? advice?

Just Send her to me..i'll take care of her for awhile..No seriously, only you can decide what the next move is..I wouldn't make a snap decision though..Give her a little time, experiment with amp settings, and maybe you can find a use for it..I have always found a backup guitar is useful, especially in a gig situation..Good Luck, and happy hunting..

Expect more of the same. Give it time, explore what the guitar can and can't do, see if it is "you" or if it does something you want/need.

On one hand, I think the semi-hollow is versatile enough that you can do anything with it with the caveat that it will feedback too much for most to use in high-gain situations. They can do Jazz just fine, and are noted for being particularly useful for amplified situations where volume creates feedback that is undesirable. Also, if a Tele can do Jazz (it can), or a Les Paul (it can, Les did it), a semi-hollow can certainly get you close. It might take a certain amp, strings, and the right settings, however it should be able to get you a fairly hollow-sounding tone and easily cover the Jazz thing if that is what you are going after, as well as Blues, Rock, Fusion, Country, you get the picture.

On the other hand, if you decide it is not you, do not feel compelled to keep it just because we think it is a cool guitar. As much as I love Heritage, most guitars are not great investments and as of now at least H-555's do not seem to fall into that category. Also, unless you plan on gathering a bunch of guitars if you find the H-555 (as a style, or just this guitar) just is not your thing, it should not be an albatross around your neck.

On paper (monitor? Internet???) it should easily be able to do what you are describing. However, if it is simply just not doing it for you, move on. I would give it time for you to bond with it first and make sure you have explored the full range of the guitar BEFORE you sold/traded/closeted it away. In the end, you have to give it a chance and decide what is best for you.

Archived