Heritage Owners Club

Sad day for my 5E3

tulk1

I keep my custom 5E3 at rehearsal. Light, easy to move, great tones. It has vintage Magnavox tubes, mullard and telefunken pre's, vintage correct P12n speaker - upgrades made after the build. Just oozes all sorts of goodness. Last week it just quit. Playing along ........... then nothing. Popped a fuse. Okay, no extra fuses there so took it home. It popped every fuse put in, immediately upon power up. With tubes, without tubes ......... pop!! Called the guy that built it for me and took it over to him today. .............. Fried PT. Okay ....... but wait ......... fried rectifier. Oh wait ......... power tubes are cloudy, not reading well on the tester (no clue what tester he's using, makes no difference). Looks like it suffered some sort of cascading failure (my term, not his). Grrrrr :aggressive_mini:

If you want to see it right after it was built, it's Right Here on Weber's kit pics. Ted thought enough of Steve's build to put it up top. We added the Telefunken, Mullard and speaker after the pics were posted.

Man, am I bummed.

Bad news :(

I hope my saying the circuit is fairly simple, aiding a rapid rebuild, doesn't go down the wrong way.

Good luck getting it back into shape.

It's not the end of the world even if you can see it from here. It will be okay in the end. May the Force be with you.

It should be a quick and fairly painless repair... I did a complete tear down and rebuild of my 5E3 in a matter of just a few hours :)

It sounds to me like an internal short likely developed in the PT; that could cause a chain reaction of calamity such as that which has been described.

sorry to hear about your amp trouble, Tulk. But if what kbp810 is saying, is the case, then it's not hopeless. Let us know.

Ah, I see the source of the issue, Kenny - you've got those dang knobs that go to "12". That's just too much for a 5e3, not designed to go past "11".

That's too bad, tho, not a lot of miles on that amp. Similar thing happened to my '56 GA6, recall it was a couple hundred to fix.

Controls.JPG

Man that's a shame Kenny, I can see why you are bummed out. I'm would imagine it is fixable, but of course the hassle and the expense of doing that is a pain also. There will be better days when it is back home and humming again. Well, hopefully not humming, many singing!!

Perhaps this time you can get it fortified with extra power so it can go to 12! As FZ said; it's just time and money. When you break it down, it's just pennies per note. That's a pretty good deal in my book :icon_thumright:.

That's a shame about the malfunction and damage to your amp....but the TUBES...I've been trying to build up a small inventory of vintage 50's & 60's pre-amp tubes and you about need a second mortgage for Telefunken, Mullard, and Bugle Boy tubes. Good luck with the rebuild and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks guys. Just what I was hoping for -- sympathy!! :drunken_smilie:

Yeah, the tubes. I think that's a big part of the bummer. Not like they're just sitting around on a bench waiting to be put in my amp.

I think we're going to replace both the IN/Out transformers. Was looking at these from Magnetic Components.

Fender/Tweed 5E3 OT and PT

40-18022-05.JPG40-18021-05.JPG

So far we're looking at about $250, including the trannys and bench time. Not sure on the tubes, just yet.

Guest HRB853370

It should be a quick and fairly painless repair... I did a complete tear down and rebuild of my 5E3 in a matter of just a few hours :)

It sounds to me like an internal short likely developed in the PT; that could cause a chain reaction of calamity such as that which has been described.

What exactly is a 5E3? A kit amp?

Sorry to hear that Kenny. You probably remember me saying at PSP2 your Tweed amp had the best tone I heard that day.

Sorry to hear that Kenny. You probably remember me saying at PSP2 your Tweed amp had the best tone I heard that day.

John, that was the 5F4 Tweed Super. And it's still kicking at every gig. And thank you. I know you liked that amp. This is my 5E3 Deluxe, like you had ('59 reissue?) that we got the P12N vintage speaker for.

Will, a 5E3 is the circuit designation for an early Fender amp - the Deluxe. Which went on to become the Deluxe Reverb. And yes, it's from a Weber kit. Period correct wiring, very simple circuit design. The Tweeds were just amazing in their simplicity --- and their tone.

Brief update on the rebuild. Was putting it off during the past budget debate. Since that seems to be a go-go, so is rebuilding my 5E3. We're going with a Hammond transformer, rather than the Magnetic Components. The tubes test good, so I lucked out there. Plus, Steve is going to beef up some areas on the build. My 5E3 was his first ever kit build, so we did it pretty much stock. He's built 5 since then, says he's learned a bit more about that circuit. Guess he's going to "harden" it a bit. :dontknow: Says two weeks.

That 5F4 kicked ass.

Archived