Heritage Owners Club

MESA/Boogie Mk V

My "African Ribbon Mahogany" Mk V Boogie just showed up.

It's going to take me a while to get used to this amp... and it clearly wants to be played at

considerable volume to get any kind of solid tone out of it.

But it looks the business and once I have it figured out I think the three channels plus solo

boost will be very helpful.

The G&L S-500 I bought recently on HOC sounds TERRIBLE through it... but that makes sense because

it sounds fabulous through a clean Roland. I ended up playing my green 555 last night and

going through the Iron Maiden songbook for a bit.

I won't bother to bring to PSP unless somebody requests it, but it's a very, very nice

piece of equipment.

My "African Ribbon Mahogany" Mk V Boogie just showed up.

It's going to take me a while to get used to this amp... and it clearly wants to be played at

considerable volume to get any kind of solid tone out of it.

But it looks the business and once I have it figured out I think the three channels plus solo

boost will be very helpful.

The G&L S-500 I bought recently on HOC sounds TERRIBLE through it... but that makes sense because

it sounds fabulous through a clean Roland. I ended up playing my green 555 last night and

going through the Iron Maiden songbook for a bit.

I won't bother to bring to PSP unless somebody requests it, but it's a very, very nice

piece of equipment.

:this_thread_is_useless_without_

I've had two friends who got them, and ended up having to bring them in for warranty service within the year, so hopefully they've gotten the bugs worked out by now. Sounds like heck of an amp but just too many buttons/etc for me. I'm happy with my DC-5, and it was a ton cheaper too.

Mesa's can be a pain in the ass to dial in. Spend the time to get to know the amp, oh yeah RTFM! With Mesa's it's a requirement. Didn't the guys at the shop show you how to dial it in? I almost dismissed the Lonestar Special until the manager of the shop helped me how to get the tone I was looking for.

New Amp day?

Go NAD, Go NAD, Go NADs!!!

Get 'em JB! Bring the walls down!

very nice... I like Boogies.

It's hard to imagine that there isn't a good tone to be dialed in with the G&L... maybe it's just finding it? ..

Indeed, seems like there is enough potential variation in there to find a good sound... though I have found that some guitars just plain don't like some amps.

This G&L has the "MFD" pickups in it. The clean sound is awesome, and it's very hi-fi,

but it is not forgiving of mistakes. Somehow if you hit two notes at once, the wrong

one is always louder! And when you overdrive it the sound just doesn't meet my

expectations. I have no idea why. It makes for a great jazz guitar though.

but it is not forgiving of mistakes.

Somehow if you hit two notes at once, the wrong

one is always louder!

Well , that's no fun. The correct note is supposed to be louder for sure.

Here's a surprisingly bad shot from my DSLR, along with a few other amps of mine (Roland VGA-5, 60s Gibson Skylark with tremolo, TAF 15 watt).

Unfortunately the fan has already broken, and the footswitch isn't even here yet. This may turn out to be quite an interesting voyage.

post-2556-0-83655300-1304560828_thumb.jpg

That is a great looking cab, would love to see some closer up pics of the wood as well

Mesa really knows how to pull off that cane grill cloth!

Plus one on more detailed pics.

I really like the MkV amp. Think it maybe my favourite Mesa right now. It has a great range of good useable and easily obtainable sounds on any channel in any mode. Its a tweaker amp but not hard to tweak.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I've agreed to exchange this Mark V for one in Bubinga.

Shipping back to Rudy's was $110.74! The box is 93 lbs.

I ended up using one of the recommended settings on the amp most of the time, but it

sounded great... just didn't want to run it w/o the fan or disassemble it and send

parts 215 miles each way for a repair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well , that's no fun. The correct note is supposed to be louder for sure.

Might be kidding but if not there could be a real techno reason for this. MFD's have individual adjustments for EACH POLE on the pickup. If someone messed with one of them you could literally have one string louder than another. Might not notice it at times depending on how many strings are firing in what you are playing--at other times it could be very noticeable, I might imagine.

Archived