Heritage Owners Club

Daydreaming...

DetroitBlues

Well, if it's just been sprayed again, there's gonna be about a month before it can be sanded and buffed out. That's the problem with nitro: it takes a while. And even then, it'll continue to outgas a bunch for a while. when I first got my SG, I could still read the serial number, and there was no grain visible on the headstock. Now there is lots of grain, and I can't make out the serial number at all. Guess I'll have to wait for the thicker nitro in the number to outgas.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if it's just been sprayed again, there's gonna be about a month before it can be sanded and buffed out. That's the problem with nitro: it takes a while. And even then, it'll continue to outgas a bunch for a while. when I first got my SG, I could still read the serial number, and there was no grain visible on the headstock. Now there is lots of grain, and I can't make out the serial number at all. Guess I'll have to wait for the thicker nitro in the number to outgas.

As you can tell, I've been waiting a long long time for this, I'm hoping sooner rather than later. May one more coat or so, then it should be buffed out...

• 3 weeks later...

Checked with my luthier today. He did two more coats over the weekend and has a couple more to go before the final wet sanding.... I'm so bummed now that I feel so defeated now I can't be upset.

In layman terms, what does that mean as far as when you get to take it home?

Also, have you politely pointed out he is going on 3x the estimated project time? Just curious how they explain that away, if there is a legit reason or if something came up or what.

In layman terms, what does that mean as far as when you get to take it home?

Also, have you politely pointed out he is going on 3x the estimated project time? Just curious how they explain that away, if there is a legit reason or if something came up or what.

I plan on telling him he's not going to get paid for finishing the top. Maybe electronics and new nut, but I refuse to pay for a top finish. I bought the guitar from KBP810 who used the money to custom order his H-157. That guitar is in its final wiring and setup this week. It took my guy the same time to refinish a top while Heritage made a completely new guitar from scratch. I can say only one thing about that... Advert your eyes kids, but W.T.F!

I plan on telling him he's not going to get paid for finishing the top. Maybe electronics and new nut, but I refuse to pay for a top finish. I bought the guitar from KBP810 who used the money to custom order his H-157. That guitar is in its final wiring and setup this week. It took my guy the same time to refinish a top while Heritage made a completely new guitar from scratch. I can say only one thing about that... Advert your eyes kids, but W.T.F!

Is it safe to say that you do not recommend this luthier any longer?

I'll recommend him for the basics.... wiring, set ups, nuts, fretwork, etc... But not refinishing! He's been great with everything else....

i know how you feel...when i started the 1970 ES 175 project i was told it was going to be done in 2 months....4 months is a long time to wait when you think you are going to have it in 2

The amber finish on a first edition 140 reminds me of one of the Les Paul prototypes that Gibson made... Sharp cutaway and all....

I trust that your result will be worth the wait..

Proto%252520nat%252520front%252520sm.JPG

SCHWEEEETTTT!!!!

" . . . I have a sneaky feeling my luthier treats this more of a hobby than a job sometimes . . . "

Questions come to mind. Does he have an actual storefront music business or is he working out of his basement? Do you have any leverage with him due to paying with credit card and/or needing to hand him a chunk of money when it's finally done? Does he know that you are recording your trials and tribulations with this guitar on the HOC forum? You sound like you've had good service with him in other guitar areas, but it seems like he may be using your guitar as a training venue to develop his finishing skills. In any case, hopefully the end is in sight.

He has a shop behind his house, doesn't take credit cards. I was promised six weeks starting from the end of February. I've been waiting ever since... Promises were made by April, no later than mid-May. Then June, now its down to soon after a couple more coats. More waiting and waiting. He still has to put in new pups I found and replace the nut.

He has a shop behind his house, doesn't take credit cards. I was promised six weeks starting from the end of February. I've been waiting ever since... Promises were made by April, no later than mid-May. Then June, now its down to soon after a couple more coats. More waiting and waiting. He still has to put in new pups I found and replace the nut.

Is this the guy just down the road from Steiner? If so I have been there. Sumbich hugged me. :icon_scratch:

Is this the guy just down the road from Steiner? If so I have been there. Sumbich hugged me. :icon_scratch:

Nope, not him! Though I advised DB a while back he should snag his guitar back from this guy and take it to the hugging luthier

The hugs are a little awkward... but the man does damn fine work

Nope, not him! Though I advised DB a while back he should snag his guitar back from this guy and take it to the hugging luthier

The hugs are a little awkward... but the man does damn fine work

DB might let him hump his leg if it gets that 140 back fast. :icon_puke_l:

Here's my fear... I ask for it back and he either damages it, loses parts, or something worse.

Now that you mention it, a buddy had his H-150 at a local place to get a ding out of the headstock. It was taking forever. He finally threatened to call the law. The guy finally admitted he screwed the rest of the headstock up too. I would go down and check it just to be sure.

Oh yeah, this is the tiny ding in Joe's guitar caused by a straplock accident. (This is why none of us use them) This butcher/luthier lifted the logo off the headstock and then did a 80% job of correcting it.

img_6249_std.jpg

It's an Eyetailyen thing. You either get a hug or a Sicilian Necktie; at least he doesn't kiss your cheek.

DB - we could have gone out and bought cans of nitro and finished ourselves (via the guiding light from Big Bob) by now. We need to seriously get together and collect that ax. PSP is just around the corner; you can't go without a Heritage :grommit:

So this is what I wrote, hopefully, he'll understand and take care of this like a professional...

"I hate to bring this up, but I have been waiting very patiently since I brought you my guitar at the end of February. Originally, it was supposed to be completed in about six weeks. Its now been about 18 weeks. While I understand there has been difficulties for you completing this project, as a customer that should not be my concern. If I'd known it would of been a difficult task for you that you were not fully prepared for, I wouldn't of asked for the top to be re-finished. At this point, what should I as a customer do? Should I continue to wait? Should I just pick up my guitar as is and have it finished elsewhere? While I wish the job to be done right, the false hopes I've been receiving are frustrating to say the least. I need my guitar within the next week. I can either stop by this week to take my guitar as is or you can compensate my time and patience and complete the job. The re-finish job will make a great add to your resume on the website if completed and might bring you in future work in that area. If this message is upsetting to you, perhaps you may understand how I feel. I've recommended you for years now and up to this point, I've been a loyal and happy customer. There are many Heritage owners around here, most of which have large collection. I'm sure if this can be positively resolved, I can recommend them to bring you their guitars too. Please let me know how you want to proceed."

So this is what I wrote, hopefully, he'll understand and take care of this like a professional...

"I hate to bring this up, but I have been waiting very patiently since I brought you my guitar at the end of February. Originally, it was supposed to be completed in about six weeks. Its now been about 18 weeks. While I understand there has been difficulties for you completing this project, as a customer that should not be my concern. If I'd known it would of been a difficult task for you that you were not fully prepared for, I wouldn't of asked for the top to be re-finished. At this point, what should I as a customer do? Should I continue to wait? Should I just pick up my guitar as is and have it finished elsewhere? While I wish the job to be done right, the false hopes I've been receiving are frustrating to say the least. I need my guitar within the next week. I can either stop by this week to take my guitar as is or you can compensate my time and patience and complete the job. The re-finish job will make a great add to your resume on the website if completed and might bring you in future work in that area. If this message is upsetting to you, perhaps you may understand how I feel. I've recommended you for years now and up to this point, I've been a loyal and happy customer. There are many Heritage owners around here, most of which have large collection. I'm sure if this can be positively resolved, I can recommend them to bring you their guitars too. Please let me know how you want to proceed."

And here's his response,

"I totally understand how you feel. That said, it's not finished yet.

So either I finish it, or I don't. That choice is yours. There's not

much further to go on it, so I'd just have me finish it, but it you

want to take it elsewhere, that's your right. I move slow because I

want to be careful and get good results. I have realized after

starting yours, and another finish repair that I took on, that I need

to double my estimates on time, and have begun doing so. I do

understand your frustration. I would have liked to have finished your

guitar a month ago, but it just didn't happen. So here we are. You

let me know how you'd like to proceed, and under what terms you would

feel that your patience has been compensated."

So what should I say now?

Archived