Heritage Owners Club

Hey Kids! Do you like to Rock and Roll?

big bob

Hey thanks Kids! now what type of controls.. I'm thinking three tone controls (one for each pup) a master volume. standard three way switch (bridge/bridge-neck/neck). then a push pull (on the volume) to bring the mid in.

What would you do!

If it was me, I'd do 3 vol rather than 3 tones so that when you had all 3 pups going you could adjust the amount of vol for each. Push/pull pot seems the way to go, but you might think about using a rotary switch...just make sure it fits whatever knobs you are using...or a chicken head ala varitone. It's interesting to see what other people do...some use their tone, others not at all...etc etc I always thought Strats were weird with their 2 tones. How did they decide which got the tone controls? I've modded one of my strats with master vol, master tone, rotary switch...I like it.

Here's the question How can I wire her so I can have bridge/ bridge-mid/ mid/ mid-neck/ bridge -neck/ all three... ???

How about three mini-toggle switches, a simple on/off for each pickup. That gives you 2*2*2=8 combinations. Then a master volume (or three volume controls if you have room), a master tone control, and you're there.

Nice job on the finish fixup.

You should have re-finished DetroitBlues guitar-he would have it right now to play!

Right! Like Lance would get it back to him so fast. It would be played out by the time it got anywhere near Michigan.

wow that looks great!!!

how do you avoid sanding thru the color, when removing the clear coat?

thx

go slow. I did sand through several small spots. but I think it looks far better now

Here's the question How can I wire her so I can have bridge/ bridge-mid/ mid/ mid-neck/ bridge -neck/ all three... ???

Good question.

I'm trying to figure out something like that for my three-pickup guitar. For the 3-way/4-knob setup, it seems really hard to do all that in a normal-functioning setup. I suspect the mid pickup on a blend or push/pull might work. I am thinking possibly if you wire it so that the neck & mid wired to the same position where you are somehow able to be turn off any of the pickups w/ push pulls, or the mid blended in on a blend or push/pull while somehow being able to turn off the neck for when you want just the mid pickup in the "Rhythm" position. The three-volumes-one-tone option would probably work, but that just sounded like kind of a pain to keep track of and if each pickup was on, what the volume of each one was at, etc., etc.

To be honest, in going over ideas, no ray of light from the heavens has shined down a magical solution on my head at the moment. To be frank, I'm thinking about either going with a 5-way, reverse-engineering the Tom Anderson Switcheroo setup with four mini-toggles (one for each pickup and a "blower" switch to go from the three pup selectors and just-the-bridge), or just leaving the middle pickup out and throwing on a three-way toggle just to simplify my life. Probably any would work, but I have not really settled on "The One." You could probably have mini-toggles to add other options as well. I'm not a fan of mini-toggles normally, they just seem out-of-place to me when paired next to the larger toggle or blade like they were added on, but I find I like the more integrated look of the "Switcheroo." Which probably does not help you at all.

As for the Free-Way Switch, I've read mixed reviews. In theory, it is perfect. However, people seem to either love it, or find it kind of flimsy, unreliable, and not terribly accurate.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html?read=reviews&tab=Details#reviews

The things the negative reviews were having problems with scared me away.

If you come up with a better solution, I'd love to hear about it!

Not sure what the question is? for this guitar I sanded the clear coat off and added a new one in order to get rid of some real bad finish worming/ buckle rash.

Ah, didn't realize you added a new clear coat. As you can see on my avatar phote, the vaneer on my headstock needs to be buffed or something. Its very hazy looking.

You should have re-finished DetroitBlues guitar-he would have it right now to play!

No kidding. Checked with my guy late last week. He said he was out of town(AGAIN!) and he can only do one layer every few days because it clears him out of his shop for a couple days at a time. You'd thought he'd be prepared with some kind of ventilation system....

140diagram.jpg

WOW, look at that Kids. each pup has it's own push/pull for on/off. And if that did not give enough option the three way toggle is converted to either select a bridge coil split or act as a kill.

You are the Man Mr. hall..

Conorb, I did not start with 140 grit, she is a 140, an H-140 that is, H-code

I started with 600,then went to 800. That pretty much lifted all the clear coat off the guitar. Next step was to shoot six coats of new nitro clear on the guitar. Next wet sand the orange peal of with 1000, then 1500, then 2000. then polishing compound.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I did, indeed, confuse model number 140 with 140 grit. And from polishing enough stainless steel in my life I know that 140 grit would be very, very tricky on wood that you want to look nice when you're all done.

Great job all around.

conorb

What you need is the Starr Switch,shown here.This one was made for a Strat,but I'm sure they will have done an L.P type.It does all pickup combinations,plus off. U.S. made,too.The unit simply affixes to the guitar with double sided tape.

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-0-59750400-1308433102_thumb.jpg

post-1702-0-16447600-1308433142_thumb.jpg

post-1702-0-09020100-1308433164_thumb.jpg

What you need is the Starr Switch,shown here.This one was made for a Strat,but I'm sure they will have done an L.P type.It does all pickup combinations,plus off. U.S. made,too.The unit simply affixes to the guitar with double sided tape.

Peter Alton Green

Thanks for the Idea. I got her all wired up and she works great.

Thanks for the Idea. I got her all wired up and she works great.

Fantastic.The 3 pup Gibson type have always been a problem switch wise.

Peter Alton Green :icon_thumright:

Archived