Heritage Owners Club

4+ months and counting

Buckyrock

Hello. I haven't posted here much, although I've been signed up for a while. Last year, I decided I "needed" a Heritage H157. I owned an H150 in the past, and now miss it. I'm a big fan of Les Paul Customs, but I'm also not too impressed with what currently comes out of Nashville.

So, I sold some gear to finance the purchase. I placed the order (H-157CM LW AAA) with my local dealer in January, right after the NAMM show. Soon afterwards, my dealer told me that it was on the "production "build schedule" (or something like that).

Recently (about three weeks ago), I called Heritage. Not sure who I talked too. They told me to call back on Monday. So I did, and whomever I talked to could not find my order. They did, however, say that if i ordered it in January, it should be done soon.

I called again this week, and the guy said "let me find out and call you back". He didn't call back. (Yeah, I know, I should have gotten names).

Today, I got an email from my dealer, saying "he talked to Vince, and they want me to come down and select the wood for my guitar". I had paid for a AAA top, and sent a picture of a desirable flame pattern as a "suggestion".

Wow. I'm not sure what to think. Yes, I understand that it is very cool to be able to help select the wood that will be made into my guitar. It also means I could make other changes, as it certainly isn't "too late" the in the build process. But what the heck has been going on for 4+ months?

If I had known that it was going to take this long, I might not have purchased that guitar. I'm sure that in a few days I'll get over the disappointment that the wait is not close to being over, and push ahead with the guitar.

I'm just bummed.

What have you guys experienced for production build durations?

Maybe you should of went right to Marv when you placed the order. I know someone who custom ordered a H-157 in mid March and its almost done. I think the dealer may have dropped the ball while giving Heritage the benefit of the doubt.

My H-150 P-90 that I ordered last Summer took four months. If they can't find the order I would look in the direction of the dealer. He should have followed up better.

IMG_0015-4.jpg

Maybe you should of went right to Marv when you placed the order. I know someone who custom ordered a H-157 in mid March and its almost done. I think the dealer may have dropped the ball while giving Heritage the benefit of the doubt.

I'll bet almost anything your dealer never officially placed the order.

Sorry to hear about your luck.

I'm sorry to hear about the delay in your Heritage custom order. It's hard to pinpoint who dropped the ball and there may be several factors. I appreciate your disappointment... it's a long wait for something so special.

Hopefully , you've voiced your disappointment with the progress and perhaps all the parties concerned could keep an eye on this one to get it done...

Good things come to those who wait.. Good luck,hang in there.

Today, I got an email from my dealer, saying "he talked to Vince, and they want me to come down and select the wood for my guitar". I had paid for a AAA top, and sent a picture of a desirable flame pattern as a "suggestion".

Wow. I'm not sure what to think. Yes, I understand that it is very cool to be able to help select the wood that will be made into my guitar. It also means I could make other changes, as it certainly isn't "too late" the in the build process. But what the heck has been going on for 4+ months?

If I had known that it was going to take this long, I might not have purchased that guitar. I'm sure that in a few days I'll get over the disappointment that the wait is not close to being over, and push ahead with the guitar.

Does sound like the dealer may have been complicit in dropping the ball! Go to Parsons Street! Meet Vince and Marv and Ren! Talk to them, and tell them how you feel about this, and tell them just exactly what you want! Pick your own lumber! Make that connection. Drive away, and keep the faith. Hold your dealer accountable for seeing this through, now that you have done the legwork! Four months? Nothing! I had a thirteen month wait for my Super Eagle! Worth every minute of it!

I'm going to jump in on the "dealer didn't place the order" bandwagon. And now, the boys at Parsons Street are trying to help make up for that by letting you pick your own wood for the guitar. My opinion ... Wow!!!! Believe this - once you show up at the shop, meet the guys and pick your own woods, they'll take extra special care of your build, they'll know your name and face and it'll be just that much more special. Bummer about the wait, but the end result will be most definitely YOUR guitar. Site report after your visit!

I'm going to jump in on the "dealer didn't place the order" bandwagon. And now, the boys at Parsons Street are trying to help make up for that by letting you pick your own wood for the guitar. My opinion ... Wow!!!! Believe this - once you show up at the shop, meet the guys and pick your own woods, they'll take extra special care of your build, they'll know your name and face and it'll be just that much more special. Bummer about the wait, but the end result will be most definitely YOUR guitar. Site report after your visit!

+1

With pictures too if possible :D

I would at some point call the dealer and ask why after a four month wait they are just now getting around to picking out the wood. From the Internet it sounds like the dealer messed up, dropped the ball, screwed the pooch, etc., etc., but who knows? In real life I would at least like to get their side of the story.

That said . . . If it was on the "production build schedule" in January, that implies it was scheduled and going to be built soon. I would want to know what happened between January and June where the wood had not even been selected and how things got from "if it was ordered in January it should be done soon" to "we have no record of it, but we'd love to have you over to pick the wood so we can get started on it" if the order was submitted four months ago. I know stuff happens, sometimes these things take a little longer (look at big bob's H-170 for instance), and sometimes humans make mistakes (from the Internet it is impossible to really do not know from which end or at which point in the chain of communication if that is even the case), but I would at least ask. I'd be cool about it, but again would still ask.

On the plus side . . . Getting to be involved in selecting the woods, meeting the builders, and everything that comes along with that will be pretty cool. At this point, it sounds like Heritage is doing what it takes to make it worth the wait and I suspect you will get a great instrument. I'd be disappointed about the wait, but hopefully you pick out some really great pieces of wood, get it made to how you love it, and this fall have a guitar you really love for years and years to come. At which point, this just becomes a story to go along with the guitar.

Sooooooooo, I have to ask. What fancy options & finish are you going for?

I'm just bummed.

What have you guys experienced for production build durations?

Sorry you are bummed. My first custom build was ordered in December 08 has a SN in Z326xx so I assume fininshed in February and delivered around April. A large part of the delay was they did not include the pickguard so it went back from the dealer so the PG could be fitted and painted which took about 45 days. Currently they are about three months into my second custom build and I received the same "call back Monday - Call back Friday" Speak to Bill, speak to Vince, speak to Marv you received. I latter received a call from the dealer who confirm it is in production with all the build spec as ordered. You need a dealer that can be trusted. A number of members on this forum are right on concerning their take as to when your order was really placed.

As part of your support group I will say that all this plus your visit Parsons Street will be a part of your 157 Heritage experience. We endure this as there is only one place on earth that makes a 157s, Prospects, 535s etc. This collection of talented people know what they are doing and are set in their ways so focus on the first part. The second part will change when you meet them in person. You just have to wait for them to build it then you have it for a lifetime. Until then we will all be like expecting fathers waiting for the news your water broke and ask for the pictures.

Does sound like the dealer may have been complicit in dropping the ball! Go to Parsons Street! Meet Vince and Marv and Ren! Talk to them, and tell them how you feel about this, and tell them just exactly what you want! Pick your own lumber! Make that connection. Drive away, and keep the faith. Hold your dealer accountable for seeing this through, now that you have done the legwork! Four months? Nothing! I had a thirteen month wait for my Super Eagle! Worth every minute of it!

No doubt, GR is only a hour or so drive away. I would go right the factory. There is too much money involved not to.

Sorry to hear about your delayed custom order. That is very poor business! Either the dealer or Heritage dropped the ball. The dealer should have been following up on your behalf.

You should have been documenting your follow up and sending emails to both dealer and Heritage after your calls. I had to do that and within 90 days I had my one of a kind guitar.

Get on the case, man. It is your hard earned money. You deserve much better service. And now they owe you an even better top...AAAAAAAAAA flame. :smile_mini2:

Good luck.

I'm feeling better about the situation today. The "shock" has mostly ebbed. I plan to visit K-Zoo next week. Should be a hoot.

As far as who dropped the ball - I have to conclude the fault is mine. I should have contacted the Dealer and Heritage on a regular basis.

Here's what I ordered:

• Light weight – 7.5 lb target

• Honduran Mahogany Body (single piece)

• No visible “knots” in the wood.

• Two piece Book-Matched Tiger-Stripe Flame maple top (see example).

• Dark Almond sunburst (see example) – almost a dark cherry sunburst.

• Wood grain visible everywhere – top, edges of top, sides, back, neck, etc…

• Edges of top approximately the same color as sides (no drastic change from top edge to sides).

• Chrome hardware (not nickel, not gold)

• Nashville Bridge and stop bar tail piece

• Neck, rim, and back not sunburst – just translucent single shade

• Neck carve – medium (between 50’s and 60’s style)

• Seymour Duncan pickups – 59’s

• Skinny (high pitched) e-string – not too close to edge of fingerboard.

• Smooth transition from fret to binding as the e-string rolls off the fret board. (no “Nib-itis”)

• String gauge .010-.046

• Grover tuners

• Pickguard not installed – left in case with bracket and screws.

• Blackest piece of ebony for the fingerboard you ever seen.

• All the Pearl inlays have interesting character, nothing plain or boring.

My Dealer tells me that this list "must have scared Heritage" and that's why I need to partcipate in the build. The Dealer says "Heritage is trying to make me happy". Which is cool.

This is a dealer I have worked with since 1990 - 21 years. I stop by the shop at least once a week, sometimes a lot more. I think I have a good relationship with them. But, of course, nobody's perfect.

Your list is the way to go, most definitely. It's how I've submitted mine in the past. Makes it very clear what you want. I even provided pictures like you've done. Altho', I didn't get invited to K'zoo like you did :aggressive_mini:

Can you explain these two a bit more? I don't understand.

• Smooth transition from fret to binding as the e-string rolls off the fret board. (no “Nib-itis”)

That's a might fine looking list, and it's a really great thing to be able to participate in the build!

I was fortunate enough to make a few trips out during the progress on mine, and it was a great experience (I hope my next trip should be soon, as it should be the one to come pick it up :) )

....let me know if you happen to see a 157 in Vintage Wine Burst w/three mini pups sitting around while your there ;)

Your list is the way to go, most definitely. It's how I've submitted mine in the past. Makes it very clear what you want. I even provided pictures like you've done. Altho', I didn't get invited to K'zoo like you did :aggressive_mini:

Can you explain these two a bit more? I don't understand.

I know what he's getting at. Some guitars have their high E's at the edge of the fretboard. Applying vibrato, especially with the middle and ring fingers, pulls the string over the fretwire. Smoothing the edge of the wire plus cutting the nut and bridge saddles to keep the string more toward the center of the fretboard allows a more vigorous vibrato. Heritage generally does all of that anyway.

I know what he's getting at. Some guitars have their high E's at the edge of the fretboard. Applying vibrato, especially with the middle and ring fingers, pulls the string over the fretwire. Smoothing the edge of the wire plus cutting the nut and bridge saddles to keep the string more toward the center of the fretboard allows a more vigorous vibrato. Heritage generally does all of that anyway.

Okay, guess that makes sense. Altho' I've never noticed that on any Heritage, either. I have seen high E's too close to the edge, tho' - my EJ Strat was like that.

Wow.... thanks for the post of your build specs, Buckyrock.

They are very interesting and well thought out. There are a few details there that would slow things up a bit, IMO. Nothing too difficult , but still some details that require someone to spend a bit more time selecting woods and matching some of the build to match your specs... nut , nibs, knots, weight, wood and finish colors.. etc. I think that they just want to be sure that they are building as close to your specs as possible.

I'm sure that it'll end up a fantastic result... it is a great idea to have you to visit Parsons St. so that you can talk to the builders in person.

I predict that things will move at a good pace once you've talked with them.

Buckyrock

I had a similar experience and had to wait an extra 3 months for mine, and was told by the dealer that H had lost order, but who knows what really happened. All I can say to you is, it is truly worth the wait. You will not be disappointed, and very likely you'll be totally in love with your guitar.

That's a might fine looking list, and it's a really great thing to be able to participate in the build!

I was fortunate enough to make a few trips out during the progress on mine, and it was a great experience (I hope my next trip should be soon, as it should be the one to come pick it up :) )

....let me know if you happen to see a 157 in Vintage Wine Burst w/three mini pups sitting around while your there ;)

Take lots and lots of Pic's if you do!

In regards to:

[b]Can you explain these two a bit more? I don't understand.

• Smooth transition from fret to binding as the e-string rolls off the fret board. (no “Nib-itis”) [/b]

The first was answered by MartyGrass a few posts back. It just what he said - keep that e string away from the edge.

On the nib issue, it has to do with the way the binding is in relation to the fret. On most guitars, the fret metal goes from fretboard edge to fretboard edge. The drawback is "fret sprout", which can cause you being able to feel the edges of the fret as you slide your hand up and down the neck. Heritage (and those other guys) address this by having the metal of the fret extending from inside the binding on both edges of the fret board - all you feel is the binding when you slide your hand up or down the neck. On many guitars I have played (both Heritage and Gibson), when putting vibrato on a note on the first string, I can feel the transition from metal to plastic as the string moves from the fret to the binding and back again. Its about 50/50 - about half the guitars I play have this "problem". I have gotten rid of guitars ecause of this before (my last Les Paul Custom, for instance). On some guitars I have played, the string actually can get stuck in the gap between the binding and the fret. Bringing the string in a bit from the edge (see above) helps. On some guitars (like my Les Paul Classic), the tranisition is not noticable at all. I've played new and old guitars with the "problem", and I've played new and old guitars without the "problem". One possible fix for this situation is to refret the guitar without nibs (metal edge-to-edge) - but who wants to re-fret a new guitar?

I'm sure this all stems from my particlular playing technique (sloppy? crappy?).

Aha!! Got you. I've never actually experienced that with necks with binding, which is probably why I didn't understand your spec. Got it now. Hope they do that to your satisfaction. It's always good to know what you want :icon_thumright:.

Archived