Heritage Owners Club

Sticky neck

NoNameBand

My recommendation is to keep playing the guitar and wiping the neck down with a soft cloth between sets or after each session.

That's exactly what I do - I've gotten in the habit of keeping a microfiber cloth in all of my cases, then I always wipe down the neck and the top part of the body where my arm might have been rubbing against while playing.

I've never noticed a problem with my Heritages... then again, I'm also not gigging or playing my git's nearly as often as many others do on here.

I did once own a good looking, good sounding, but otherwise dirt cheap PRS SE Semi Hollow that I believe had a poly finish on it; that neck got so sticky that my hands would actually start to feel raw after playing it for a while - ended up dumping it about a month after I bought it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a lot of guitars before I played a guitar that had a Tung oil finish,after that they all felt sticky.Its not just nitro either,any painted neck satin or not will get the sticky feeling with enough play time. By no means am I trying to sound like an authority, but I don't even come close to playing my best if the neck feels sticky. My solution is (and I'm sure someone will disagree and that's ok) I will use baby powder (or a sports powder which I think is plain talcom)for a while on a new guitar or guitar that has begun to feel particularly sticky, and then a polish cloth with a little bit of lemon oil. There are fretboard oils that are probably better for the finish but if your honest with yourself the finish is what's causing the problem anyway, and it's no more destructive than 0000 steel wool or scotch brite. First of all, the baby powder is an extremely fine abrasive and is essentially de-glossing the neck a little. Second, after you have removed most of the sticky feeling with baby powder, the oil prolongs your hand from polishing the neck back to a glossy, sticky feeling. If you don't like lemon oil then use a fretboard conditioner or finger ease/fast fret in it's place.

One thing that isimportant, use baby powder all you want on a maple fretboard but try to avoid getting it on ebony and rosewood if you can and use some kind of fretboard conditioner, or lemon oil or whatever you feel comfortable with that will help hydrate the wood, it will essentially shrink if it dries out enough.

If nothing works, take it down to bare wood and re finish with Tung oil or gun stock oil, you will be happy.

I have a neck that I did in true oil (gun stock product) that is just plain fast.

P1010018.jpg

you can also clean the neck off with mineral spirits. then a nice polish.

I asked Ren Wall about string squeaks since he restrung my Sweet 16 with GHS rounds. He suggested WD40 to wipe the strings down with.

I used lemon oil instead for two reasons. First, it's next to my guitars already. Second, it smells better than WD40. It helps string squeaks. So does running my fingers through my greasy hair actually.

I have applied lemon oil on a sticky neck then buffed it out, using the oil as a solvent. It wasn't very successful.

I hear Crisco works pretty well. :confused:

Fried chicken will work for a while.

I usually wipe my neck and upper "wing" with a cotton cloth before I play... after I play too if I remember. Some people's skin will react with a finish or metallic surfaces.

I have a neck that I did in true oil (gun stock product) that is just plain fast.

P1010018.jpg

It also makes for an attractive finish IMO, especially on maple.

P1010018.jpg

I want to see the rest of that guitar! There's some unique textures on the back of that thing!

I think I see a trend here when guitars have been left in the case too long and humidity has built up in the case. It happens to be a 2007 Les Paul that had not been played or out of the case much since the original purchase. I spoke to Gibson and they felt that leaving it out of the case for a time would solve it. They reassured me that they have not changed their Nitro formula. They also suggested leaving the little gel/silicone moisture absorption pack under the neck pocket in the case when stored to absorb moisture affecting the Nitro. The entire guitar finish is sticky, not just the neck. I will try the lighter fluid trick to see if that helps.

Thanks for all of the tips.

I used to cringe when I would see a friend using baby powder on his hands to keep from sticking on his guitar. The entire finish of his guitar is now dulled 'cause the powder doesn't stay put in one place. Usually any stickiness lasts just a short time and varies with the humid weather and temperature.

I use Dr Duck's Ax Wax and String Lube on a soft cloth to get me through any stickiness issues. There isn't any actual wax (it's an organic oil), you control the amount of lube you need, and I first bought it as a polish while attending PSP.

Dr Duck Ax Wax

ddawbtl.jpg

That Looks like cool stuff..I usually only have problems playing outside in the summertime..Gotta say though, my Taylor t-5 has a satin finish, and plays slicker than you know what..

That seems a liitle extreme. Not sure if I'd use a harsh chemical like lighter fluid on a guitar.

Actually, that's what is recommended (naptha) by the pros. If Dan Erlewine says it's OK on nitro, I trust him.

That seems a liitle extreme. Not sure if I'd use a harsh chemical like lighter fluid on a guitar.

It's not harsh. It's basically, the same thing they use on your clothes at the dry cleaners.

I think I see a trend here when guitars have been left in the case too long and humidity has built up in the case. It happens to be a 2007 Les Paul that had not been played or out of the case much since the original purchase. I spoke to Gibson and they felt that leaving it out of the case for a time would solve it. They reassured me that they have not changed their Nitro formula. They also suggested leaving the little gel/silicone moisture absorption pack under the neck pocket in the case when stored to absorb moisture affecting the Nitro. The entire guitar finish is sticky, not just the neck. I will try the lighter fluid trick to see if that helps.

Thanks for all of the tips.

I'd be careful, Mark. A while back a friend of mine tried the lighter fluid idea on his Strat at Monterey. No good. Not good at all.

hendrix-fire.jpg

Hey everyone, I want to share an update on the "Sticky Neck" situation. First, I wiped the neck down with Naptha, a well saturated white lent free cloth about Four times up & down the neck (Naptha is a drying solution). Second, I set the guitar backwards in a stand about Two feet from the air output vent of my de-humidifier. The air coming out is virtually, dry air. I left the guitar there for about Four days and wow, its so much better. It's like the paint wasn't dry. I was told by the finishing dept. at RS Guitarworks that sometimes guitars left in the case in humid environments will get tacky or maybe were never cured in the first place. Some guitars that have been kept in the case for a long period of time that may have not properly cured originally, may fall victim to this phenomena. This process I used allows the guitar to "Off-Gas" or dry so to speak. It has certainly solved the problem for now. I don't know if it may return. If it does, I will post then. Until then, It's playing like a dream.

The de-humidifier keeps my basement around 45-50% humidity in the summer which is recommended by Heritage as the desired humidity. It also helps to keep my piano in tune.

All the best and thanks for all of the well intended suggestions.

Hey everyone, I want to share an update on the "Sticky Neck" situation. First, I wiped the neck down with Naptha, a well saturated white lent free cloth about Four times up & down the neck (Naptha is a drying solution). Second, I set the guitar backwards in a stand about Two feet from the air output vent of my de-humidifier. The air coming out is virtually, dry air. I left the guitar there for about Four days and wow, its so much better. It's like the paint wasn't dry. I was told by the finishing dept. at RS Guitarworks that sometimes guitars left in the case in humid environments will get tacky or maybe were never cured in the first place. Some guitars that have been kept in the case for a long period of time that may have not properly cured originally, may fall victim to this phenomena. This process I used allows the guitar to "Off-Gas" or dry so to speak. It has certainly solved the problem for now. I don't know if it may return. If it does, I will post then. Until then, It's playing like a dream.

The de-humidifier keeps my basement around 45-50% humidity in the summer which is recommended by Heritage as the desired humidity. It also helps to keep my piano in tune.

All the best and thanks for all of the well intended suggestions.

Good results are nice to hear about.

I used some Naptha ( lighter fluid ) on a the back of one of my necks and I like the results of that. It seems to remove any sweat or grime that may be on the neck, but doesn't hurt the nitro.

a well saturated white lent free cloth

Well, Mark, you made me perk up. Having spent many years in a Catholic school, I could have used a Lent free cloth to wipe away the fasting, no chocolate, fish days, etc. we had to endure every year! My Christian reformed (Dutch) neighbor friends didn't have to put up with Lent while I was growing up. They must have had that Lent free cloth.

Damn!

Well, Mark, you made me perk up. Having spent many years in a Catholic school, I could have used a Lent free cloth to wipe away the fasting, no chocolate, fish days, etc. we had to endure every year! My Christian reformed (Dutch) neighbor friends didn't have to put up with Lent while I was growing up. They must have had that Lent free cloth.

Damn!

Sorry for the typo. No ill intention.

Mark,

Did the good results last?

So far so good.

Hello everyone, its been a while since I last posted. It seems to me that I remember someone complained about a sticky neck or sticky finish on the neck and took the guitar to the Guy (that Brent had assemble his new Gibby) in Kalamazoo and got it resolved. Does anybody remember what was done? Cleaning doesn't seem to help for very long.

I just discovered something that may, (or may not) remedy the problem..They are fingerless gloves, that keep your hand from contacting the back of the neck..Saw em in the back of the latest GP magazine..they are only $15 a pair..might be worth a try..

Archived